Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo. After riding on this 959 for about two weeks, I've noticed that on both of my knees (insides that touch the bike) have bruises on them. I've tried adjusting my riding position but I always manage to slip back into this position where my knees are pounding into the corner of my fairings where the knees sit.

Bothered me so much today, I swung by the Aprilia dealership to throw a leg over the RSV4RR.

Anyone else notice this? Have a remedy for this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Must say that's a new one. Some of the guys here do have bruised knees and some of our best have even bruised their elbows.
We keep reminding them to replace their sliding pucks. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@becausemotorcycle - Bruised knees!?!? C'mon! Take the f'n skirt off!!! and you say you're a NYr from BKLN!?!?!

Ok, enough slingin sh!t at u! All in good fun u know. On the serious side, like @DarR said its the first time I've heard of someone mention this topic of bruised knees. How tall are you?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must say that's a new one. Some of the guys here do have bruised knees and some of our best have even bruised their elbows.
We keep reminding them to replace their sliding pucks. :wink2:
Ha. I wish this was from sliding but just general riding around.

@becausemotorcycle - Bruised knees!?!? C'mon! Take the f'n skirt off!!! and you say you're a NYr from BKLN!?!?!

Ok, enough slingin sh!t at u! All in good fun u know. On the serious side, like @DarR said its the first time I've heard of someone mention this topic of bruised knees. How tall are you?
LOL. I expected some ****. I'm 5'11" so no weird proportions.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
LOL Seriously, that's the first we heard of it. Maybe a question of adaptation. Give it awhile and see if it persists.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There isn't any mention of tank pads or whether there are any in use.

I would recommend starting there and looking at the Tech Spec Snake Skin to see if having one knee locking you in position might help you stay in place while your other is off the bike and vice versa.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL Seriously, that's the first we heard of it. Maybe a question of adaptation. Give it awhile and see if it persists.
I will for sure give it some more time. And experiment with various riding positions. Might look into rear sets to change where my knee is contacting the bike. Options options options...

There isn't any mention of tank pads or whether there are any in use.

I would recommend starting there and looking at the Tech Spec Snake Skin to see if having one knee locking you in position might help you stay in place while your other is off the bike and vice versa.
I have Tech Spec Snake Skin pads already! I bought it with them already on and was thinking that they might actually be the cause.

·
Registered
224 Posts
5' 11" here too with no bruised knees but....maybe bring the EBC down a notch or two? The factory default settings can cause some considerable engine braking and you might be grabbing the tank to save the jewels?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
5' 11" here too with no bruised knees but....maybe bring the EBC down a notch or two? The factory default settings can cause some considerable engine braking and you might be grabbing the tank to save the jewels?
That's probably the best explanation.
I changed to the grippier DP Race seat for exactly that reason as the stocker was much too slippery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know... I know.

Thanks! I'll adjust that today on my ride home. I have it set up high as I'm still getting use to the power but I'll start there. And yes, it's definitely made more prominent when braking/slowing.

That's probably the best explanation.
I changed to the grippier DP Race seat for exactly that reason as the stocker was much too slippery.
I have the DP Comfort seat. Never sat on the stock seat.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Interesting. I have never encountered someone having the tank pads cause bruising.

Certainly, there is a first case for everything.

I used to not mind the heavy engine braking of a twin, but after having the RR for a while with the engine overrun almost eliminating it altogether, I have begun to rethink my position.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'm going to assume you're not riding in leathers?

Aside from the thickness of the pads, the Tech Spec Snake Skin's are one of the least aggressive tank pads on the market.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. I have never encountered someone having the tank pads cause bruising.

Certainly, there is a first case for everything.

I used to not mind the heavy engine braking of a twin, but after having the RR for a while with the engine overrun almost eliminating it altogether, I have begun to rethink my position.
Just my 1st thought considering that's where my knee is hitting. I'll try reducing the engine braking.

I'm going to assume you're not riding in leathers?

Aside from the thickness of the pads, the Tech Spec Snake Skin's are one of the least aggressive tank pads on the market.
Haven't rode in leather pants yet, just riding jeans so far. I highly doubt they are the cause but like I mentioned above, they are/were my 1st thing to look into.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@becausemotorcycle - do you bruise easily? some people do have conditions that warrant no activity that could involve falling to the ground or bumping into something - which could cause hemorrhaging subcutaneous from blunt force

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow something to consider @becausemotorcycle ( the bruising thing). @CSBS they teach a technique called knee to knee. If you were to enter a chicane first turn is right , left knee is locked on to the tank extend right knee into turn as bike is straightened bring up right knee and lock on tank , both knees locked on, then lower left knee for left turn . Point is you have one Knee locked on the tank all the time , slide your *** across the seat smoothly, making the transitions and maybe this will help. In lower gears engine braking is excessive pull in the clutch more and use brakes . My 2 cents I have a blast riding my 959 I hope you do too Mr. Because

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yo. After riding on this 959 for about two weeks, I've noticed that on both of my knees (insides that touch the bike) have bruises on them.

I think I may have this sorted out...

I was wearing some very thin cotton pants and backed my bike out to check the tire pressure this morning. I decided to put both feet up on the pegs and press my legs up against the sides of the bike to see if I could find where you might be having an issue.

I discovered that if you are seated too far back and the knees contact the frame mount point (where the frame plugs would go) instead of being slightly forward so you knees are resting against the tank pads, there is a sharp pressure point that could leave a mark if you're tense and gripping hard enough.

I would recommend scooting a little closer to the tank so that your knee is resting in the pocket created by the tank and fairings... making sure that they are nestled on the pads themselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@becausemotorcycle - do you bruise easily? some people do have conditions that warrant no activity that could involve falling to the ground or bumping into something - which could cause hemorrhaging subcutaneous from blunt force
Nope.

I think I may have this sorted out...

I was wearing some very thin cotton pants and backed my bike out to check the tire pressure this morning. I decided to put both feet up on the pegs and press my legs up against the sides of the bike to see if I could find where you might be having an issue.

I discovered that if you are seated too far back and the knees contact the frame mount point (where the frame plugs would go) instead of being slightly forward so you knees are resting against the tank pads, there is a sharp pressure point that could leave a mark if you're tense and gripping hard enough.

I would recommend scooting a little closer to the tank so that your knee is resting in the pocket created by the tank and fairings... making sure that they are nestled on the pads themselves.
You're awesome! I appreciate you thinking of this and trying it out yourself.

Your conclusion is pretty much what I've landed on as well. I've been trying to sit closer to the tank the past week and it makes the knees fit in that grove much better. However, I'm more comfortable when my butt is a bit further back in the seat. Albeit, me knees disagree with that position. HA.

And riding tense hasn't helped either but the more and more I ride, the more and more I become familiar with the bike. I'm still exploring everyday I ride. Only have a bit over 400 miles in so far. All in the crazy *** city of Manhattan. My reason for being tense.

Reactions: sinjin

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Just a quick thought on the "tense riding" scenario. It's better to grip / hold the bike with your knees and keep your hands loose / light on the bars as opposed to the other way around.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yo. After riding on this 959 for about two weeks, I've noticed that on both of my knees (insides that touch the bike) have bruises on them. I've tried adjusting my riding position but I always manage to slip back into this position where my knees are pounding into the corner of my fairings where the knees sit.

Bothered me so much today, I swung by the Aprilia dealership to throw a leg over the RSV4RR.

In all fairness, without photos, we may be jumping to conclusions.
Could simply be a bad case of carpet burns for all we know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts