181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Reactions: adrian7

·
Registered
32 Posts
@motosamurai got any progression photos?
I initially thought of doing that but it turned out to be a much longer project than I initially thought. It took over two weeks(not continuous) for me to figure things out and put everything together. If you are interested I am happy to share any information. BTW this was my first ever headlight mod.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
@motosamurai - did you physically separate the lens to install the LED internally, or did you place the LED on the exterior of the lens? can you post some close-up pics?

·
Registered
892 Posts
He posted it in another thread, but he physically separated it via heat. Similar to other headlight retrofits, he baked the headlight to soften the fastening adhesive. I can only assume he put it on the inside since he did that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
He posted it in another thread, but he physically separated it via heat. Similar to other headlight retrofits, he baked the headlight to soften the fastening adhesive. I can only assume he put it on the inside since he did that.
You are right DJ Shrug. The LED strips are inside but not glued to the lens like most of the retrofitters do. I made a bracket from metal sheet which is screwed to the top of the lens( out of sight) and LED strips are glued to this bracket and pressed against the front of the lens. The only thing I wish I had done was made a channel for the strips so that the light from headlight bulbs would not bleed into the LED strip's light. Perhaps next time. That being said I am seriously interested in the morimoto sequential strips, maybe that is what I will use next time I work a similar mod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry but I might have missed the 1299s conversion. Did it happen any picture ? Was it just plug and play?
Coz I am about to pull the trigger and order the 1299s led

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sorry but I might have missed the 1299s conversion. Did it happen any picture ? Was it just plug and play?
Come to think of it, we never got an update. I think everyone was set on the more simple plug and play LED/HID setups and forgot about the 1299 LED setup...
@360turbo, got any updates on yours? Update your other thread @360turbo!! (Who's doing 1299 led headlight swap?)

·
Registered
214 Posts
What I've done in the past is adjust the brights so they are aimed lower and just ride with them on full time. That way you are not aiming the lights in the face of others. Free

·
Registered
892 Posts
@KDiavel312 c'mon man...

...I know this thread is 19 pages, 190 posts long, but did you even try?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm not sure what you are seeing, this is what I ordered and I was able to turn them in even easier than the halogen diamond visions, on the lows the wiring is pointing straight down. I just threw my box away so I cant look there.

even though the top tab is largeri swear i thought the lights could go in any number of postions aka wire down, to left one notch etc

Let me check now

he is what I ordered below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3333R1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ASFIT LS Series H11/H8/H9/H16 LED Headlight Kits-LUMILEDS LUXEON Z ES Chips-90W 10000LM 6000K-Hi/Lo Beam/Fog Light-2 Yr Warranty

Do you think the 2018 version fits the same as the older ones? Has anybody tried? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3333R1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 90W (2x45W) - no errors on the dash board or interferences so far?

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’ve tried one with bigger cooler and it didn’t fit, so I’ve gotten philips crystal diamond.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I swapped out the lows with a set of Silverstar Ultras, but as has been noted, the high beams are a completely different animal. I cannot imagine how a company can design something that requires hours and taking apart the entire front end to get to the headlight bulbs. That's just lazy engineering.

That said, I looked up under the front fairing, above the forks and lower triple clamp, and it looks like there is a black plastic panel that can be removed? Couple screws and plastic pins... Is this on all the 959's, or is it new for 2018? Maybe if I remove that, I can access the highbeam bulbs from the bottom?

Anyone tried it, or will I need to be the guinea pig? haha

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@SquireSCA
As @Cotonete wrote, A few of us have changed the "highs" but it's a big job with little return on your time invested unless you're removing the front fairing to work on your forks. If I had to do this again, I would consider LED's all around.

Reactions: Cotonete

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, I guess more trouble than it is worth. So what happens when a bulb burns out? I have to spend a day tearing my bike apart, or pay a dealer $400 to change a light bulb? LOL

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yeah, I guess more trouble than it is worth. So what happens when a bulb burns out? I have to spend a day tearing my bike apart, or pay a dealer $400 to change a light bulb? LOL
I read you but it's not that draconian. A low beam change is easy. If one of the high's go, then i'll take the opportunity to install LEDs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd like to put a Ducati LED headlight on my 2018 959.

I've read every thread I could find regarding using a 1299S LED headlight fitted to a 959.

Can anyone confirm if a LED headlight from an 1199S will also fit a 959?

I know an 1199S LED will fit an 899, but what about a 959?

Thanks

181 - 200 of 215 Posts