Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd like to put a Ducati LED headlight on my 2018 959.

I've read every thread I could find regarding using a 1299S LED headlight fitted to a 959.

Can anyone confirm if a LED headlight from an 1199S will also fit a 959?

I know an 1199S LED will fit an 899, but what about a 959?

Thanks
They have different part numbers and look a little different.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/ducati-spare-parts?itemid=52010229B

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/ducati-spare-parts?itemid=52010342B

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update: Rode to work this morning at 6 am. It's sufficiently dark at that time to give the new Philips led a proper test for brightness. Back with the diamond vision, it felt borderline unsafe at highway speeds. The dimmer light output was easy to "out ride". Now with the Philips led, that is no longer the case. The lights are brighter than the diamond visions and I no longer need to switch to high beams. The light pattern has a nice concentrated section directly in front of the bike with decent loose light until about 45 degrees to the side.

Aren't these Phillips Xtreme Vision LED bulbs advertised as a 'Fog' light? If so, you aren't finding any disadvantage in real world driving conditions?

Do you have a link to the exact bulbs you used?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aren't these Phillips Xtreme Vision LED bulbs advertised as a 'Fog' light? If so, you aren't finding any disadvantage in real world driving conditions?

Do you have a link to the exact bulbs you used?

Thanks
Yes they say fog light. Not entirely sure why that is other than it seems many cars use a h11 bulb as their fog bulb. I haven’t seen any I’ll effects of running these bulbs. They’ve been on my bike for about 3 years/ 10,000 miles. Still going strong with no issues to report.

Here’s a link
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12834UNIX2-X-tremeVision-Light-Fits/dp/B00U2NHLTI

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes they say fog light. Not entirely sure why that is other than it seems many cars use a h11 bulb as their fog bulb. I haven’t seen any I’ll effects of running these bulbs. They’ve been on my bike for about 3 years/ 10,000 miles. Still going strong with no issues to report.

Here’s a link
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12834UNIX2-X-tremeVision-Light-Fits/dp/B00U2NHLTI
Good to know.

While these definitely look better, I'm concerned how well they perform at night. Particularly, how far of a beam they will cast. It's scary when you 'outrun' your headlight beam.

For nighttime riding, how would you compare the Phillips LED's vs. stock?

Better, same, or worse?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup, I've purchased a 1299s led headlight for my 959 which I still don't have but from what I've heard this is a highly recommended upgrade and will make my bike look even sweeter.

Can't wait to get the bike to do the install
how much is that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think they are brighter by about 20%. I think there are a couple you tube video tests out there which confirm the lumen output is higher. With the philips led I don’t feel unsafe riding in the dark at highway speeds. Are they as bright as I would ideally want? No, but so far they are the best I’ve found which blend light output with light color with a good light pattern on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Combed through this super long thread trying to find the answer but cannot.
Have an '18 959 and attempting to swap out the low beams with Lasfit LEDs recommended a few pages back. I encountered same problem as the dealer recommended upgrade LEDs, they do not fit.
I am complete newbie to headlight mods and might be missing something super obvious. If anyone has a suggestion, I would welcome!
The actual issue is the metal frame piece over the headlight opening "port" prevents the Lasfit from seating properly. DO I need to Dremel this metal piece away? TIA

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an 1199S LED headlight, thinking it would fit my 959.

Regrettably, it does not fit a 959, but is does fit an 899.

If anyone is interested in an 1199S LED headlight, please PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, I've purchased a 1299s led headlight for my 959 which I still don't have but from what I've heard this is a highly recommended upgrade and will make my bike look even sweeter.

Can't wait to get the bike to do the install
Hi, how did you get on. What did you do with the difference in the 5 plugs to the single plug?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are some other threads on this. You can hardwire the bikes connections to the 1299 headlight. I made waterproof connectors for mine to plug in and cut out the 959 relays that were behind the front fairing. I had some issues with mine but we’re not directly related to the headlight swap. Some wiring info is in the other thread linked below.
If you swap to the 1299 headlight you will also need to buy or modify the plastic cover that is directly above the low beams behind the windscreen. The heat sinks for the LEDs come up through there. The part is ~20.00 but if you are careful you can use a Dremel and make it look nice. I will get some photos of what it looks like tonight for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also forgot to mention. The process for the 959-1299 is very similar to the 899-1199 swap. Here is a link from the 899 which has a lot of helpful info in it that I used.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts