Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a lithium battery for the 959 and 848. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Looking for something lightweight and that I could plug into a charger/conditioner.

·
Registered
215 Posts
just get the oem superlegerra battery

Skyrich
L 150mm W 65mm H 92mm

HJT7B-FPZ
Lithium Ion Battery - YT7BZ-BS

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wait, what? Why? It is $380.

Look into a Shorai.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, $300 is too much for a battery so I will probably go with the Shorai.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have seen Shorai lithium batteries for dukati just for $170.
Is these batteries are good for long run.

Because, lithium batteries are small in size, having high power storage. LI-ion batterie are good but dangerous also.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have seen Shorai lithium batteries for dukati just for $170.
Is these batteries are good for long run.

Because, lithium batteries are small in size, having high power storage. LI-ion batterie are good but dangerous also.
That price seems to be about right.

These batteries are great for delivering powerful starts even after long storage periods. Very light compared to stock and the cheapest means of dropping unnecessary lbs. vs. exhaust, wheels, or carbon fiber.

It is not the typical Lithium Ion battery that you find in the Apple laptops or Samsung phones... despite what online myths you have heard, they are relatively stable and especially less dangerous than lead acid.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
215 Posts
western power sports has a lithium battery. I have it in my race bike. super light and costs under $100

·
Registered
439 Posts
How about the Ducati YT7B Yuasa replacement? I see that it is more than $100.

So do you suggest the Skyrich or the Western Power Sports? Seems like your posts don't indicate a preference.

I have not had any trouble with either of the Shorai batteries that I put in my 899 or S1000RR, and they come highly recommended by techs that service my bikes, so that is why recommend them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lithium batteries which are used in the moblies phone, hoverboard are differnt from the batteries used in the bikes.

Li-ion battteries used in tthe bikes are better than the lead acid batteries. But , batteries used in the hoverboard should be UL certified.

Some products with the lithium ion batteries\
ipones
tabs

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yes, like @john stated the battery technology is different for each application - batteries that explode and are used in those 2-wheeled powered skateboards - it's not a hoverboard for christ sake! - are most likely not Li-ion, its likely a LiPo or a LiFePo and are volatile if misused (charged or discharged faster than their C rating, brought below storage charge level or above max charge C rating, punctured, bent, abused)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the rectangular Li-Ion batteries for our bikes, unless of course you short it, but ultimately you should follow the manufacturers directions on charging it before use if need be. Some batteries should be brought up to nominal voltage with a 1C charge rate and then installed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, like @john stated the battery technology is different for each application - batteries that explode and are used in those 2-wheeled powered skateboards - it's not a hoverboard for christ sake! - are most likely not Li-ion, its likely a LiPo or a LiFePo and are volatile if misused (charged or discharged faster than their C rating, brought below storage charge level or above max charge C rating, punctured, bent, abused)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the rectangular Li-Ion batteries for our bikes, unless of course you short it, but ultimately you should follow the manufacturers directions on charging it before use if need be. Some batteries should be brought up to nominal voltage with a 1C charge rate and then installed.
Funny. I thought that post #6 was a question - so I answered it...

·
Registered
439 Posts
It appears this post adds absolutely nothing to the thread ^
Hmm. Well, neither does this.

Go back through the thread again and you should understand the pertinence of my comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The subject of LiIon batteries as dangerous has been flogged several times on other similar forums.
Years ago the initial early days of Lithium batteries were prone to overload and explosion, because they used lithium and not Ions (particals). Today there are over 24 different chemical compound formulations that can form a lithium Battery, for variious relevant applications.
They can be separated into 3 main components ;
The Anode -
In all cases the anode is Li

Cathode -
manganese dioxide (most common everyday batteries)
Iron Disulfide (aa and aaa batteries mostly)
Iodine ( medical applications)
Silver chromate (medical applications eg pacemakers etc)
Sulfer dioxide ( military applications - volatile gives off hydrogen cyanide in high temps 😳)
Carbon mono fluoride (watches, clocks etc)
Copper chloride ( some rechargeable batteries)
Cobalt oxide ( consumer electronics)
Iron phosphate (vehicles, civil, aviation)

Electrolyte -
Propylene carbonate (most everyday commercial applications)
Lithium bromide (military/non commercial)
Dimethoxyethane (most everyday commercial applications)

The biggest advantages of LiFePO4 is that they are very stable, shared load charge.
Like any Lithum battery however people make the mistake of continuous trickle charging, causing a cell or float imbalance constant heat etc and problems can occur.

This is why all the high tech installs we do have continious monitoring of cell temps and equal spread

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
In new models of hoverboard, UL certified Li-ion batteries are used.
The Best Hoverboard 2017 which are with UL certified batteries are:

Swagtron T5 Hoverboard
Swagtron T1 Hoverboard
EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter
Swagtron T3 Hoverboard
CHIC Eyourlife Hoverboard
I want to ones from "Back to the Future".:nerd:

Reactions: gatesb77

·
Registered
33 Posts
One question: Can I just swap a lithium battery? Do I need to tweak anything with the charger? Asking because coming from the R/C world I cannot charge a Li-Poly battery with a Ni-Mh charger.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts