Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed, while cleaning my bike, that this is kinda...lose. Also there seems to be spots of oil..although there's no sound in this video u can feel a slight wiggle and clicking noise (due to being loose). The initial reaction is, sure, take the bike apart and tighten it but I paid the dealer to install this during my initial service so I expect that they torqued and leveraged loctite accordingly. Anyone else out there with this issue or is this expected?

https://imgur.com/pWslPBa

·
Registered
592 Posts
The bolts came loose. Perhaps the dealer did torque the bolts correctly, but they are not secure now.

Retorque the entire set of bolts around the case.

Do not ride the bike with the clutch cover loose, you will potentially lose all your oil.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just make sure that the dealer did not use the wrong bolts that may be too long, in which case they could bottom out, have proper torque, but not be holding the cover properly closed.

If the slider still moves around at proper torque, the bolts are likely the wrong ones. It should be absolutely solid under the force of three bolts holding the cover securely in place.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure that the dealer did not use the wrong bolts that may be too long, in which case they could bottom out, have proper torque, but not be holding the cover properly closed.

If the slider still moves around at proper torque, the bolts are likely the wrong ones. It should be absolutely solid under the force of three bolts holding the cover securely in place.
Well it was too tight to tighten so I loosed it and re-tightened it a bit, I did it by hand since my torque wrench only handles 12LBs+. I used a small allen wrench (3" long tops) and only applied a little "mustard" to tighten it and now the rattling is gone 100%. SMH...I mean, I guess this bike does rattle a lot and it's totally acceptable that it might've rattled loose but...IDK...

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Twins have a tendency to vibrate things loose. Never a bad idea to do a once-over of all the fasteners every so often. Also, you may want to use some "Blue" thread lock on those case bolts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twins have a tendency to vibrate things loose. Never a bad idea to do a once-over of all the fasteners every so often. Also, you may want to use some "Blue" thread lock on those case bolts.
Yeah I'm basically going to check it every 1,000 miles or whenever it feels loose (of course). That area gets really hot, would loctite even hold up or properly seal on a bolt that's essentially marinating in that kind of heat?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Yeah I'm basically going to check it every 1,000 miles or whenever it feels loose (of course). That area gets really hot, would loctite even hold up or properly seal on a bolt that's essentially marinating in that kind of heat?
Sure! I use (blue) loctite on all the major bolts. Red on some of the internal parts too. It may even be recommended in the shop manual.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure! I use (blue) loctite on all the major bolts. Red on some of the internal parts too. It may even be recommended in the shop manual.
I'll skim through it again. I have a ton of blue though so I'll just add some next time I go to re-torque. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts