Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought my 959 Panigale last week (July 1st) and have already clocked about 580 miles. I am starting to love this bike more and more as I drive it. I am pretty new to supersport category so Wet mode is what I am riding all the time right now. Servicing scheduled for next week as they had nothing on past week on a short notice, so no riding this week :( Trying to keep miles around 600-700 range for the first break in.

I've ridden a variety of 2 wheelers before in India, scooters, motorcylces, so I am pretty confident with riding light weight (<150 lbs) 2 wheelers. However the curb weight for 959 is aprox. 412 lbs? which is definitely intimidating at very slow speeds. I felt very challenged the first time i took test drive, but am starting to feel better and better. I think another thing i find intimidating is leaning the bike (even knowing that how far this can go on med-high speeds), i still feel scared leaning it, thinking that it may slip from the rear, any tips to get over this would be very appreaciated by the advanced riders or who've faced similar feelings as a beginner. I think this comes with time, experiment and gaining confidence on your slow increments (breaking the fear barier slowly).

All in all, i just feel very happy, lucky to be owning a Ducati supersport! Glad to be a part of this community.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello All,

I bought my 959 Panigale last week (July 1st) and have already clocked about 580 miles. I am starting to love this bike more and more as I drive it. I am pretty new to supersport category so Wet mode is what I am riding all the time right now. Servicing scheduled for next week as they had nothing on past week on a short notice, so no riding this week :( Trying to keep miles around 600-700 range for the first break in.

I've ridden a variety of 2 wheelers before in India, scooters, motorcylces, so I am pretty confident with riding light weight (<150 lbs) 2 wheelers. However the curb weight for 959 is aprox. 412 lbs? which is definitely intimidating at very slow speeds. I felt very challenged the first time i took test drive, but am starting to feel better and better. I think another thing i find intimidating is leaning the bike (even knowing that how far this can go on med-high speeds), i still feel scared leaning it, thinking that it may slip from the rear, any tips to get over this would be very appreaciated by the advanced riders or who've faced similar feelings as a beginner. I think this comes with time, experiment and gaining confidence on your slow increments (breaking the fear barier slowly).

All in all, i just feel very happy, lucky to be owning a Ducati supersport! Glad to be a part of this community.
Awesome!!! Glad to hear it man. I got mine on July 1st and I just broke 1000 miles today. Been riding it for about 120+ miles a day and loving every minute of it!

I had to re-learn not to fear the lean myself. I came from riding a 1098 about 6 years ago with no riding between. Best thing I did to get over it? Be smooth, and practice good body position 24/7. If you have good body position on this bike (IMO) it will blow your mind with mid corner traction and hook up out of the apex. In my limited experience (R6, R1, 1098, 848SF, CBR600RR) I've never been on anything that carries speed through corners like this thing. It alomst feels like you're surfing the road, as opposed to obliterating it like my tuned 1098 lol. >:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good effort on the mileage guys! Looking forward to post-break-in.

After not riding for almost 10 years I find higher speed cornering still comes naturally but the very low speed ones get me worried, especially with the bike feeling heavier than I remember my 636 being. I've probably gotten older and weaker more than anything though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I decided to change my username, something that may last even after "Red959".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome back :)

Did the password reset get you too?
It wasn't the password this time, I wanted a more permanant sort of username rather than something that only resembled my 959 :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts