Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've read all the topics in this forum regarding battery tender but still had some additional questions, hopefully if you all can help me figure this out it will be greatly appreciated.

Instead of using the "Ducati battery maintainer", i am planning on getting the "Battery Tender Junior"
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510686942&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+tender

1. Would this tender be ok for an OEM battery?
  2. I am planning on keeping my bike in a storage facility and bringing battery home for charging, hopefully this is safe? Given that i will keep it on ceramic/cement type surface, and make the terminal connections correctly.
  3. To disconnect the battery from the bike, I remove the positive(+) first then the ABS, and then finally the negative(-). Correct?
  4. To plug in the charger, do I connect negative(-) first and then the Positive(+)?
  5. Are there any other tips you guys would recommend?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Would this tender be ok for an OEM battery?
It's just a battery charger, nothing special. Both the Ducati one and the junior share the same fundamentals in that it switches between full on/float/trickle charging. You could argue that some chargers are better with more controlled charge currents, but really that only matters when the battery is significantly decharged.

Lithium batteries need some special consideration, but for the original battery sure, either will work.

I am planning on keeping my bike in a storage facility and bringing battery home for charging, hopefully this is safe? Given that i will keep it on ceramic/cement type surface, and make the terminal connections correctly.
Sure, don't see why not, but if you're paying for the storage facility, why not install the charging plug into your bike and just charge it there?

To disconnect the battery from the bike, I remove the positive(+) first then the ABS, and then finally the negative(-). Correct?
Nope, disconnect negative first. It's a safety issue, but to explain, while the ground is still connected to the bike, basically everything metal on the bike will complete the circuit if you remove the positive first. Remove the negative first, so that way, the only path to complete the circuit is across the battery terminals. Doesn't really matter with a small motorcycle battery, but for larger ones it matters more.

To plug in the charger, do I connect negative(-) first and then the Positive(+)?
Doesn't matter. As long as you plug negative to negative and positive to positive, the order doesn't matter.

Are there any other tips you guys would recommend?
Don't think too much about it, put your time toward other things.

Reactions: YOGI-G

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@DJ Shrug Thank you! This is all good information.

Sure, don't see why not, but if you're paying for the storage facility, why not install the charging plug into your bike and just charge it there?
Actually, I checked with them and they don't have any power outlets in the non-climate controlled units, and thus the trouble.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ahhh it would have been too convenient.

I'd almost want to say that if you're removing the battery, you probably don't need to put it on a charger since its completely unloaded (besides small scale environmental and chemical losses).

I totally skimmed past this nugget, but by the way, what did you mean by...
I remove the positive(+) first then the ABS, and then finally the negative(-).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was actually quoting this from the manual. See the image attached, apparently there is an ABS positive cable...

Also, you can see why I was confused whether to remove positive first from what it says on pg. 225, last paragraph.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
An attempt was made to reflect best practices with "always start with the negative terminal" but was not followed through :laugh:

But yeah, remove everything off the negative first to reduce the chance of shorting to ground then pull everything off the positive terminal and remove the battery.

Reactions: YOGI-G

·
Registered
10 Posts
  1. I am planning on keeping my bike in a storage facility and bringing battery home for charging, hopefully this is safe? Given that i will keep it on ceramic/cement type
Hey!! Charging a battery (or even leaving) on the concrete will not cause any issues... This theory comes from how old lead batteries use to be made. It isn't an issue with today's batteries.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Per the above attached exhibit from the owners manual, "Before charging the battery, it is best to remove it from the motorcycle."

Is this something other people strictly follow? On my past motorcycles, I installed a charger connector onto the battery for convenience and I would charge the battery it while it was still connected to the bike. In fact the dealer installed this connection for me and encouraged battery charging. I haven't had any issues nor have I read about others having issues doing it this way, so I'm curious why the Owners Manual has this suggestion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mentioning that on manual, they would get away in case you have an issue. And bikes like Daytona 675 and the previous street triple 675, and other old triumphs, that are more electric / electronic sensitive, you can easily have an issue.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Per the above attached exhibit from the owners manual, "Before charging the battery, it is best to remove it from the motorcycle."

Is this something other people strictly follow? On my past motorcycles, I installed a charger connector onto the battery for convenience and I would charge the battery it while it was still connected to the bike. In fact the dealer installed this connection for me and encouraged battery charging. I haven't had any issues nor have I read about others having issues doing it this way, so I'm curious why the Owners Manual has this suggestion.
It's a recommendation that is more precautionary than anything. "Best" is truly that, but not necessary/practical/etc.. Worst case scenario? Batteries heat up if you're charging them from completely dead, so acid might boil and leak out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts