Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i've done some digging in the forum but I haven't found anything to really answer my questions, mainly about the Metzeler Racetec RR and the Bridgestone RS10. I'm currently on the OEM tires with 2600ish miles on them, the rear is getting a bit low and so is the front. I'm hoping to do a track day later this month with these tires but the question is what would the next set be. Theres the new Diablo Corsa tires that (I would assume) would be similar/same performance as the current gen but i'm tempted to get something stickier. I don't ride to work that often so the miles are put on in the mountains so i'm not too concerned with longevity.

What are everyones thoughts? I've read through most of the main Tire thread and haven't really found what i'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Stickier than the stock tires... the Supercorsa SP... can't beat it unless you get a true racing slick

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Supercorsa SP's for sure. You wont get any wiggle out of these in good weather riding. They'll last as long as the OEM's also.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What's your riding pace at the Dragon?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quick enough lol.

Not knee down but i'm to edge of the tire, plenty of pace to find though.
Tires won't matter if you aren't riding at a faster pace. The most you'll understand with changing tires is just the difference in the turn-in rate because of tire profile differences. You can easily pay too much for something that you won't use to its potential and end up wasting inadvertently.

Anyone's experiences are going to be anecdotal, so it may or may not be helpful to you. Here's a quick stab at the different tiers of tires from the different brands.

Ordered in terms of level of aggression or "grip" case:
  • Race DOT Tire - Metzeler Racetec RR, Pirelli Supercorsa SC, Michelin Power Cup, Bridgestone R11, Dunlop Q4

These are race compound DOT tires, not street tires. Don't buy these for the street. 100% track time use with warmers.

• Track Day Street Tire - Metzeler Sportec M7, Pirelli SuperCorsa SP, Michelin Power RS, Bridgestone RS10 Type R, Dunlop Q3+

These are the stickiest street tires you can get, relatively low mileage life. Should be ~20% track time or fast pace spirited riding usage. Can be warmed up without warmers, just takes some time before they get sticky. Expect ~2k miles.

• Hypersport Street Tire - Metzeler Sportec M5/M3, Pirelli Rosso Corsa, Michelin Pilot Power 3/2CT, Bridgestone RS10, Dunlop Q3

Basically a trackday tire, but with more street oriented compounds. Fast warmup without need for warmers. Probably what you should be looking to get. Expect ~4k miles.

• Sport Street Tire - Pirelli Rosso III, Michelin Pilot Road 4/5, Bridgestone S21, Dunlop Roadsmart III

More wet orientated tires with lot of sipes and soft compound on the sides for decent performance, harder compound down the center for mileage. What you should be looking to get if you want to trade some performance for life. These still do great at the track, but easy to overheat and hot tear. Expect >5k miles.

• Mileage Street Tire - Pirelli Angel

Not familiar with other brands, but yeah expect >>10k miles. Some people run this at the track at a fast pace, but I'm sure probably a lot of sliding around.

😎

There's a ton of nuances between tire brands such as carcass stiffness which lends itself to feel at the limit (eg. stiff Pirellis abruptly slide, soft Dunlops give more warning, etc.), but you'd have be riding at a level where you're pushing the suspension a good bit to know the differences. Just pick something up within your budget and enjoy your 959!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts