Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's Honda was recently stolen and it's made me think of things I need to do to secure my bike from theft.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
My friend's Honda was recently stolen and it's made me think of things I need to do to secure my bike from theft.

Any suggestions?
Get a garage...

don't leave it on the street overnight... you can try chaining it to stuff if you have to... disc locks... get a GPS trackers if you're really scared./

·
Registered
358 Posts
Location is indeed key.

For those times you have to park on the street, parking where a camera can see it can go a long way in preventing a theft.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was stolen out of an underground parking garage. How they managed to get in and out? No idea. The guy chained it down to floor pegs with a thick chain too.
Maybe the GPS tracker is the safest bet. Install it somewhere it can't easily be located and removed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's going to have to be a combination of things, GPS, being mindful of where and when you leave your bike, the area, etc.

Ultimately though, if someone really wants your bike, they'll get it. Best we can do is just make it harder for them or easier for us to find out the details on it being stolen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For me its all about location. Garages are great, keep to busier and safer streets. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For me its all about location. Garages are great, keep to busier and safer streets. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do though.
That's really what it comes down to, factoring in those things you can do and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use SCORPIO Ride, and it's been nothing but awesome for me, not to mention they have great customer service!
I've heard about tracking services/alarms. Wonder what their recovery rate has been? I mean its all well and good for the thing to alert you the bikes gone, but another thing entirely if you can get it back in one piece...

welcome!

·
Registered
99 Posts
SCORPIO Ride seems to have a monthly fee but I think it's a fair cost for your peace of mind. The GPS tracker would probably come in handy once the alarm goes off and sends a warning to your phone.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I've got a Xena disc brake lock with alarm. It's loud and sensitive. So far so good as a first line defense... $60 on eBay?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am looking into a GPS tracking system (Phantom leads my choices) as the monitoring station contacts and texts you when the bike moves and the system is active. If you did not authorize its movement ( as when it's the back of some dudes van ), they initiate tracking and notify authorities who can then work on its recovery. It has a battery back up and good technology allowing tracking even in an enclosed building ( or a chop shop) .
I'm opting against the usual siren system or proximity sensors as I prefer to stay away from any false alarms or battery consumption problems. Only down side is they will not give you its location...only law enforcement, for I'm sure good reasons (me showing up with my .338 Lapua)

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Don't use a hammer when you really need a saw; give the 338 to your overwatch, use the breaching charges and scar 17:)

Reactions: bucfan444

·
Registered
42 Posts
The best defense is a good offense. Set remote explosives that trigger when the bike is moved for more than 10 seconds without the key in it!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these for when parked at the gym or store for less than two hours. I don't even know if it fits the discs yet or even if I want to have the bike unattended for that matter. Lots of soul searching here. Your comments on this or other similar locks would be appreciated.

Abus Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Disc Lock
Abus Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Disc Lock - RevZilla

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just use the Ducati factory alarm, but i watch my bike like a hawk ahahah.
How sensitive is it?
and loud if you triggered it?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts