Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently received the Mikatek carbon tank sliders but have yet to install them. Has anyone installed these? What did you do to prevent galvanic corrosion? I've got a plan to structurally mount these and being electrically insulated, but worried about corrosion and overall bond strength. Silicone RTV doesn't seem to cut it in bond strength when the bike lays down at speed, I think these sliders would come off like a loose scab. There's areas of carbon still in direct contact with the tank using just silicone, after you just sanded it down for bond. Carbon and aluminum are dissimilar metals by their anodic/cathodic nature so I'm thinking fiberglass insulation layer needs to be added, all of this in fibreglast 2000 epoxy. Talk to me goose

·
Registered
892 Posts
Silicone RTV doesn't seem to cut it in bond strength when the bike lays down at speed, I think these sliders would come off like a loose scab.
Curious to see the basis on which this statement is made - care to elaborate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silicone is a good to bond with, but the bond (peel strength) of normal silicone RTV is 367 lbs per foot which is less than what the bike weighs wet. The sliders are roughly 8.5" long so that's 238 pounds overall to take these off bonded with silicone. All the other psi properties for silicone that also matter in this case like tensile and sheer strengths isn't ideal with how dynamic laying a bike down is with momentum. Everything is compounded more compared to it being still. Its good for general mounting of something you wouldn't want *pulled* off as you'd probably tip the bike before. I haven't seen the sliders in live action though so I've just got numbers to go by. The carbon is thick and consistent though, I think they'd hold up well if mounted properly.

Thanks Dingo I'll check it out!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Silicone is a good to bond with, but the bond (peel strength) of normal silicone RTV is 367 lbs per foot which is less than what the bike weighs wet. The sliders are roughly 8.5" long so that's 238 pounds overall to take these off bonded with silicone. All the other psi properties for silicone that also matter in this case like tensile and sheer strengths isn't ideal with how dynamic laying a bike down is with momentum. Everything is compounded more compared to it being still. Its good for general mounting of something you wouldn't want *pulled* off as you'd probably tip the bike before. I haven't seen the sliders in live action though so I've just got numbers to go by. The carbon is thick and consistent though, I think they'd hold up well if mounted properly.
Keep in mind that peel strength is very specific specification that measures the force required to peel two bonded, flexible surfaces where the force direction is directly opposite (180deg apart). This is far from any observable case that we'll see with our Panigales.

In the sliding case in which is what the tank slider is designed for, you'll mostly observe forces due to...sliding. Sliding friction would then impart a primary shearing force, so the primary mode of failure in this case would be exceeding the shear stress (which is many magnitudes higher than the peel strength for a similar section of length). These will be nowhere near any of the failure specs of the adhesive even if you have 100% of the bike's weight acting only on one slider (over a very small area I may add) and nowhere else on the bike (eg. wheels, clip-ons, rear sets, swingarm, etc.).

The only case that would be relevant to your concerns is if the tank slider somehow gets fixed on something and imparts the 238 or so pounds of force directly on that bond at which point you'd have to assume that the tank slider itself does not tear first.

I'm just saying that I think you're over-thinking that the slider will peel off. Silicon RTV will work fine and Sikaflex probably has similar stress properties (or worse since its more of a sealant than an adhesive). Also consider that the point of contact on the tank sliders is far from the edge of the slider, so there really isn't opportunity for anything to grab onto the slider only in which peel strength is relevant.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I suggested Sikaflex in jest... it’s used primarily to affix teak decking to substructure on marine vessels - the black rubbery substance between the teak planks. It’s also impossible to remove after it touches something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd use some Flex Seal liquid on it and call it a day.

"you can brush it, roll it, dip it or pour it anywhere you need a watertight, flexible rubberized coating. New Flex Seal Liquid blocks out air, water and moisture, prevents rust and corrosion, is mildew and chemical resistant, non-hazardous, non-flammable and safe around plants and animals."

Haven't you seen the commercial? It holds a boat sawed in half together without leaking! You could even let your pets around your bike and not worry about them licking your new carbon fiber parts...

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-seal-liquid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts