Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the big decision to trade on up to the 1299S. Some sleepless nights for sure mainly due to the big increase in price. I told the dealer it would depend on a really good test ride and to their credit they let me have the base model all day. I made the most of it. I rode city streets, filtered through traffic. I took it on the freeway and hit the twisty roads popular with my motorcycle friends. I did not go berserk. Not my bike for a start. Initially I did doubt whether the extra dollars was money well spent. Sure the bike was nice but my 959 is nice too. After a few hours though and with the Race Mode selected I saw the big difference. It handles like on rails and the power delivery is impressive.
Negatives: Well the heat problem is still there and as we come out of winter it is not present on the 959 yet. But it is felt on the bigger bike. Once summer is here in the southern hemisphere it will be interesting.
Still the same roughness of an L twin only more so on the 1299. I guess if you are not into that a four cylinder bike like the R1or MV Agusta 1000 would be better or the new CBR1000 due out soon.
Will I miss my 959. Probably but time will tell if I end up wanting it back. Somehow I think not.
I will still be on this site and can update or answer questions if anyone wants to know more. Next Wednesday is swap day.:smile2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good on ya.
The dealers have a bigger markup on the 1299 compared to the 959 so..........make sure you negotiate a good deal!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Invoice on the 1299S is $22,220.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sure the bike was nice but my 959 is nice too. After a few hours though and with the Race Mode selected I saw the big difference. It handles like on rails and the power delivery is impressive.
What sparked your decision to move up to a 1299? What made you feel like you wanted more (or felt like you needed a 1299 vs your current 959)?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I was thinking about doing Vic's sssa mod but I'm pretty sure I'm either going to buy an 1199s in addition to the 959 or trade in for a 1299.

Anyway, it's interesting to see others with the same train of thought. Enjoy it and ride safe!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay in response but have had a hassle with passwords and logging in. Sorted now I hope.
First in response to why change a perfectly good Ducati for another one. Very good question and it has nothing to do with the 959 not being a great bike. I think I just wanted to own something that is the top of the pile as far as faster sports bikes go. Emphasis is on own as I doubt if I will get the chance to really open it up. However I do like some of the things it has that the 959 does not have. Electronic Ohlins for a start. Marchesini wheels. Lacquer paint coat.
The deal if signed by end of the month includes Acropovic slip ons and I got a good price for my 959 ($5000 less that what I paid for it and I can either sell or fit most of what I added to the 959. I don't think I am losing any rideability after a good long test ride. It is really nice and is a dream in the corners. Will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response but have had a hassle with passwords and logging in. Sorted now I hope.
First in response to why change a perfectly good Ducati for another one. Very good question and it has nothing to do with the 959 not being a great bike. I think I just wanted to own something that is the top of the pile as far as faster sports bikes go. Emphasis is on own as I doubt if I will get the chance to really open it up. However I do like some of the things it has that the 959 does not have. Electronic Ohlins for a start. Marchesini wheels. Lacquer paint coat.
The deal if signed by end of the month includes Acropovic slip ons and I got a good price for my 959 ($5000 less that what I paid for it and I can either sell or fit most of what I added to the 959. I don't think I am losing any rideability after a good long test ride. It is really nice and is a dream in the corners. Will post some pics soon.
Enamel Paint vs Lacquer Paint | DoItYourself.com
had to look up laquer paint coat.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Enjoy the upgrade! My buddy has a 1299S that he bought the same time that I bought my 959. So, I understand that different people will have different preferences. But I'd caution the "top of the pile". Here's why... Now my buddy wants to get a 1299S Anniversary edition. And of course one could always want for an 1199R. But enough nagging about that.

To throw it out there, you could put Marchesini wheels on your 959 and the Akrapovic full system for ~$7,000 USD. I'm not sure how much extra you'll be paying for the 1299 though. Maybe they're giving you a discounted cost on the 1299.

I would also argue that giving you $5,000 AUD less than what you paid for the 959 doesn't necessarily sound like they're doing you any favors. In the US, most demo 959's are listed at $1,500USD less than new msrp. I'm pretty sure that they'll still make a decent profit when they resell it. I felt like I should throw this info out in case it helps your decision or helps you to be able to bargain for a better deal.

Alright, enough negativity on my part. If you decide to go for the 1299 I'll totally understand. It's an amazing bike and the components on it are quite impressive. If you get a chance to take it on the track, you should be able to use the extra power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All very valid points Avigil. If I so much as mention another bike I will be living the life of a newly divorced man ! I did the deed this morning. Bade farewell to my 959. Not as hard as when I did the same back in March with my CBR1000rr. (Sadly written off with in 2 weeks by its new owner -rider OK). As luck would have it the day turned wet within an hour of leaving the dealership but I got 100kms in on some twisty, hilly damp roads and some city cruising as well. No issues at all
Like you say the components and bling set the bike off. The wheels, SSSA, M50 brakes, colour instrument panel and the suspension being EC Ohlins is very comfy. The power is right there on tap if you want it but overall the bike is a dream to ride and not threatening at all. At 50km per hour its fine. It just thrumbs along just like the 959 - in fact I think a smidge smoother.
Of course I have 6000 rpm rev limit until 1000km is covered so certainly no big handfuls of throttle. Like the 959 you need to be aware of your speed and where you are as licence losing velocity is not hard to reach. A cop followed me some of the way home so I got some practice at holding the legal 50 kph.
I feel safe to say that after 300 odd kms on the 1299 base and my bike it is a keeper.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Looks great! I'm happy for you, that you know she's a keeper!

In a couple of years, I feel like I'll be in the same position you are, but most likely, I'll keep my 959 and turn the 1299 into a dedicated track bike.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I agonized on whether to go with the 959 or 1299 early on and decided to go with the 959 as I have plenty of big sportbikes in the garage and the 959 splits the difference nicely.

On the backroads I ride the 1299 would have been overkill I think, the 959 is just right.

BTW, my favorite ride is still my '09 ZX-6R, just goes to show bigger is not always better.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere that the 959 is a good lead in bike towards the larger Ducati supersports such as 1299 base, 1299S and 1199R. I would agree that the 5 months riding the 959 made going to the larger bike very easy. I spent some time with the manual last night and adjusted the forks and shocks one level softer (just for the practice). Riding home in pouring rain after work yesterday was a soaking experience. Put bike in WET mode and no problems at all. I love the auto blipper function. I can not see why some folks are wary of using it as per some You Tube clips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts