Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped my bike off for a service and received a Multi 950 as a loaner...
What a mistake it was to accept it, its a fantastic bike, the perfect commuter that handles extremely well and can do long trips.
Question is, if I buy one, since I ride to work a lot and its 125 miles round trip, what should I do with the 959? Its an expensive bike to own to just sit there insurance wise, but its also fully paid for and I own it and do enjoy riding it.
I also like taking it to the track, which Ive seen people do with multis but not sure how I feel about that.
Help me out people, what would you do in this situation?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What a mistake it was to accept it, its a fantastic bike, the perfect commuter that handles extremely well and can do long trips.
Question is, if I buy one, since I ride to work a lot and its 125 miles round trip, what should I do with the 959? Its an expensive bike to own to just sit there insurance wise, but its also fully paid for and I own it and do enjoy riding it.
I also like taking it to the track, which Ive seen people do with multis but not sure how I feel about that.
I feel your pain. I have my eye on a hypermotard.

https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/hypermotard/hypermotard

The multi is a better commuter bike, and you will miss the panigale on the track.

https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/bikes/multistrada/multistrada-950

Your pain and suffering has no cure, only Love the one you're with.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Why not keep both? They complement each other. The perfect diversification.
I have both a 959 and an M1200R. Different bikes for different rides.
I read you loud and clear about the insurance but you can always un-insure the Panigale and use it for track only.
You can re-insure it later for the street if need be.

P.S.#1 Yeah! riding a Multistrada does that to people. That would be my third bike if money wasn't an issue.
P.S.#2 If you're sticking to one bike, consider the Multi Pikes Peak edition for hard core sport or the S that includes the electronic skyhook suspension for more versatility:

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...ar-was-a-mostly-stock-ducati-multistrada-1260

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I've been around Ducati for a long time but have yet to ride one of these bikes. As @DarR mentioned, keeping both is a good option. I have different bikes for different things. Maybe you could turn your 959 into a track only bike?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've been around Ducati for a long time but have yet to ride one of these bikes.
Hi Doug, Do not ride a Multistrada.
I repeat, Do not ride a Multistrada as it may be hazardous to your wallet.

Harry at his best raving about the Multi 1260s

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been around Ducati for a long time but have yet to ride one of these bikes. As @DarR mentioned, keeping both is a good option. I have different bikes for different things. Maybe you could turn your 959 into a track only bike?
Go ride a Multistrada. Just do it. They are fantastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from Malta! I'm in the reverse position - I own a Multistrada 950 and it's a remarkable bike - can't imagine selling it. But I recently rode a 959 at Misano and I fell in love with it, I'm going to end up buying one. I haven't decided whether to use it only for track or whether to leave it road legal - probably the former. A warning about the Multistrada - if you ride one you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the same spot, have both a Multistrada Enduro and a 2016 959. To put in perspective I have put 8000 miles on the Panigale in 2 years and just hit a year on the Multi sitting at 6800 miles. Both are phenomenal machines and the Panigale sees track time and mountain rides but I enjoy longer days in the mountains and some off road on the Enduro. The insurance aspect does hurt a bit but its worth it in the end to have both ends of the spectrum and have a motorcycle that I would be happy to throw on the luggage and ride to visit family in MA or TX from TN. I think you'll enjoy having both and anyone who is interested should ride a multi of any flavor, they are amazing!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts