Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totalled my 959... For my next bike, I'm seriously considering the MV Agusta F3 or F4. They are insanely beautiful. The f3 is similar in price to the 959. I know that in years past there were reliability issues. But I've heard those might have been worked out. Does anyone be any recent experience/knowledge?

And does anyone know the warranty length for them in the U.S.? 1 year? 2 years?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think they're struggling to stay in business... but more importantly - Are You OK? How did you total the 959???

Call Luca at Newport Italian

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they're struggling to stay in business... but more importantly - Are You OK? How did you total the 959???

Call Luca at Newport Italian
I'm fine. Thanks for asking. Low side on cold tires, had just started raining 5 minutes prior at 50 - 60 mph. I slid about 30 feet on my forearm and knee puck. I couldn't believe I wasn't hurt when I stood up. Proper gear saved me!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are some beautiful bikes for sure... i would go talk to someone at the dealership and make a well informed decision...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I came from a 2013 F3 675. Between the fickle nature of the bike and dealer service availability and parts im so much happier with my 959. I've been told the F3 800 is a lot better all around but I wouldn't go back

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very glad your unhurt Mr. Avigil but sorry for the loss of your Panigale . My Ducati dealer had those bikes, I looked at them for some time ,beautiful Machines .
Dealer info www.californiaspeed-sports.com 925 606-1998 Ducati - MV Agusta- Aprilla -Moto Guzzi - Vespa - Piaggio - Lunar Lander -etc.
Good luck on your quest sir

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mv f3 800

Totalled my 959... For my next bike, I'm seriously considering the MV Agusta F3 or F4. They are insanely beautiful. The f3 is similar in price to the 959. I know that in years past there were reliability issues. But I've heard those might have been worked out. Does anyone be any recent experience/knowledge?

And does anyone know the warranty length for them in the U.S.? 1 year? 2 years?

I had a 2014 F3 800. Had it for a year and only put in about 800 miles on it due to being out of town for jobs. I had a bad fall and the insurance totaled it and in the process got a titanium plate on my left tibia. 6 weeks after my crash, I was at the dealer picking up a 2015 F3 800. Problem was it was the wrong color and I wasn't about to compromise. Plus a recent death of a close nephew on a motorcycle made the family jittery of me getting another one. So I backed out and told my friends at the dealership that I was taking a short hiatus. I also needed time to heal. Besides, I still have my R6.

Fast forward to Oct 2016, I was ready for my new bike. But, MV was having such a big problem with their finances that it was just too risky at the time to buy one and not know how the service and replacement parts would turn out. Ducati was having a killer deal on their 2016 line up so I snagged the 959 up.

I absolutely love the F3 800. That counter rotating engine is so sweet, I had such a great time cranking that thing from left to right to left without even feeling the centrifugal forces. It is one thing I wish the Duc had. Personally, aesthetically the MV is a 9.5 out of 10, and the Panigali a close 9 out of 10. It had the SSSA, Brembo brakes, and that sweet looking 3 way pipe. The body work looks like an italian model. They had a lot of teething problems with the 2012 & 2013 models, but they were able to smooth those out on the 2014 and newer versions. Specially with the engine mapping. Another big issue was the fuel tank although i didn't own the MV long enough to encounter it. It tended to warp due to the ethanol. It also has a nasty head shake and for the life of me I couldn't understand why they did not put a steering damper. That was the first thing I bought, it was heaven after that.

Recently, Pro Italia at Glendale, CA sent out a newsletter saying that they will be stoking them soon and that MV seems to have found a partner. They use to always have a few models on the floor but for the last 2 years they seem to have disappeared due to MV's financial woes. I can just hope that it's true. I wouldn't mind owning another one if the chance presents itself again.

As for the F4, it is as beautiful as the F3, but at that price point I would not hesitate to go with the 1299S or even 1299R. It will beat it hands down with one hand tied behind it's back.

If I would guess, you probably have joined their forums already. They have as much good guys their as we have here. Everyone has their own cup of tea. I would just say that if you choose to get into an F3 or F4, expect some headache when it comes to replacement parts.

Oh.....and if you do, I have an almost brand new SSSA Pit Bull stand packed and ready to ship to Seattle for a killer deal!!!! :)

Cheers!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Glad you're ok. I have a buddy who had an F4. He had quite a few electronic issues and had one heck of a time getting parts. He got rid of it the beginning of 2016. Not sure what has changed since then. IMO, although they've received some updates, the MV's are basically the same bike they have been for many years. Still based off older technology.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@avigil
We had no idea. Hope you're on the mend and riding 100% soon.
We're all with you here and feel your pain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I left MV in Dec. to come back to Ducati. The company "was" in financial trouble and I couldn't even get gaskets to do regular maintenance. Had a LOT of issues as well. Check out my clutch basket at 2,400 miles.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left MV in Dec. to come back to Ducati. The company "was" in financial trouble and I couldn't even get gaskets to do regular maintenance. Had a LOT of issues as well. Check out my clutch basket at 2,400 miles.

Which model year did you have? I was just telling to someone who has a 2015 f3, and he was telling me that for 2016 & 2017 models, the fueling/throttle issue has been sorted out. He said that model years 2012 - 2014 had issues.

He said that the dealer updated his 2015 and he loves it.

I'm so torn now...

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Those were some of the issues my buddy was having. Crazy fueling issues and the bike would leave him stranded due to not starting. Plus it was almost impossible to get basic parts as @TheX mentioned above.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yeah my 2013 F3 675 would be smooth one day and rough as **** the next. I test rode the 959 on a whim and traded mine in 2 weeks later for the Ducati

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
yeah my 2013 F3 675 would be smooth one day and rough as **** the next. I test rode the 959 on a whim and traded mine in 2 weeks later for the Ducati
My Buddy ended up getting a BMW HP4. He likes the I4 over the twins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts