Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sourced from the 1199 range, I re coated the swing arm, new tire and associated cables. Brake renewed from 959 etc, it rides really well

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The 959 rides Awesome stock. You threw all that time and effort into it and now it rides Really Well. Sounds like you sacrificed performance for look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not lost anything over stock, it's fine tuned it for me and the suspension was a real performance benefit. Some of the rest I would agree is looks but I'm happy and I suppose that's all that matters. We are all different and it's an individual choice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Apart from the swing arm and suspension, what else did you upgrade? You mentioned engine work... did you increase the bore and / or stroke?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am a firm believer that Ducati spends millions on R&D to make a bike handle... and so "garage engineers" taking it upon themselves to start swapping out swingarms and things like that, *ALWAYS* degrades performance...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ducati spend $$$ on R&D, "garage engineers" taking it up on themselves...

Ducati also invest in marketing, and produce "models" for varying budgets and tastes. Adding components from one model to the same line i.e 899, 959, 1199, 1299, thus it is exactly what it is "upgrades" and offers no detrimental/ negative impact. As for "garage engineers" in my case I have a Masters and PhD in engineering, also where and how did Harley Davidson, Ducati, etc start..... a "garage".

Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion but its an opinion and not fact (always degrades performance).

This is my opinion (obviously)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe... I guess that unless you give it to Dovi and put it on a track and let him ride it before and after, we will never know. haha

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am a firm believer that Ducati spends millions on R&D to make a bike handle... and so "garage engineers" taking it upon themselves to start swapping out swingarms and things like that, *ALWAYS* degrades performance...
While there is some truth to that statement, the 959 is an entry level Panigale and has a lot of cost cutting measures designed for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
While there is some truth to that statement, the 959 is an entry level Panigale and has a lot of cost cutting measures designed for it.
I guess, but when they get down to the minutia... Moving the swingarm pivot point a scant 4mm because it makes a noticeable difference driving off a turn or whatever... When such small changes make significant impacts, I wonder how much real benefit there is, and how much of it is placebo...

We know that lots of times, someone guts the cans and they swear they can feel the power increase, only to toss it on the dyno and find that they LOST 5hp. But it looks and sounds better, so to them it "feels" stronger even though its actually making less power.

Obviously, someone who puts that kind of time and money into something, wants to believe that they did the right thing, that it made it better.

But did it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I guess, but when they get down to the minutia... Moving the swingarm pivot point a scant 4mm because it makes a noticeable difference driving off a turn or whatever... When such small changes make significant impacts, I wonder how much real benefit there is, and how much of it is placebo...

We know that lots of times, someone guts the cans and they swear they can feel the power increase, only to toss it on the dyno and find that they LOST 5hp. But it looks and sounds better, so to them it "feels" stronger even though its actually making less power.

Obviously, someone who puts that kind of time and money into something, wants to believe that they did the right thing, that it made it better.

But did it?
The swing arms are the same between the 899 & 959, they changed the brackets that hold the swing arm and pegs. As far as exhaust, you have to tune it if you change it. Due to government restrictions on emissions & noise, they cannot provide you with what is best for power and driveability. They have to sacrifice some of that just to get it on the showroom floors.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The swing arms are the same between the 899 & 959, they changed the brackets that hold the swing arm and pegs. As far as exhaust, you have to tune it if you change it. Due to government restrictions on emissions & noise, they cannot provide you with what is best for power and driveability. They have to sacrifice some of that just to get it on the showroom floors.
For tuning, yes, but you can put it on a dyno and tune it and KNOW that it is running better. My point there was, even with proper tuning, a lot of people do exhaust mods that reduce power. But they will swear it makes more, because it is louder, or in their head makes sense for why they think it should be making more...

Can you say the same for swapping out swingarms? It's less objective and harder to confirm, no?

·
Registered
388 Posts
throwing a SSSA on a 899/959, purely aesthetic. Its not making it any better or any worse most likely. Its just a pain and expensive, but to each their own. @squire seems to be particularly upset by all this, let him live, ha. All this Dyno talk is boring.

·
Registered
190 Posts
throwing a SSSA on a 899/959, purely aesthetic. Its not making it any better or any worse most likely. Its just a pain and expensive, but to each their own. @squire seems to be particularly upset by all this, let him live, ha. All this Dyno talk is boring.
I am not upset at all. I just question why anyone would do it, or think that they know more than the Ducati engineers do, that's all.

And to put all that money into the "budget" superbike, you could just buy the 1199/1299 that comes with all that, and more, and just call it a day.

It's like trying to spend Porsche money to try and make a Honda Accord as fast as the Porsche... if the cost is close to the same, why not just get the Porsche? haha

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am not upset at all. I just question why anyone would do it, or think that they know more than the Ducati engineers do, that's all.

And to put all that money into the "budget" superbike, you could just buy the 1199/1299 that comes with all that, and more, and just call it a day.

It's like trying to spend Porsche money to try and make a Honda Accord as fast as the Porsche... if the cost is close to the same, why not just get the Porsche? haha
No I get where you are coming from, but most people are never going to ride a 959 to its potential let alone a 1199/1299/V4. More and more people are choosing NOT to buy liter bikes and it is great. Nothing worse than be slow on a fast bike.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Is the rear (auto) suspension active? I notice the forks are not connected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, i'm pretty sure someone already did the swap to a SSSA on a 959 and it completely destroyed the ride-ability of the bike (thread is somewhere on here). Basically the front and rear tires never lined up or could line up and the bike was unrideable. Not sure if this is the same bike or if OP found what the issues were with the original build and corrected them.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Patina, I don't know why all the hate, I think what you have done is awesome, keep up the good work!:nerd:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts