Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 'dialing' my bike in suspension-wise for aggressive street riding and sport-touring. With the NIX30 in front and TTX GP in back, both valved and sprung perfectly for my weight and riding style, something just wasn't right. Long story short, swapped the rear linkage from a 1199/1299 and used the 'flat' setting, and everything is good! No more 'pogo-y' feel from the rear at slow speeds. No more 'packing' the suspension on turns and not being able to feel the rear tire. No more unpredictable rear swing arm activity. I can actually feel my suspension in the back properly 'suspend' me. The bike holds lines in turns much better. I can 'flow' much better through turns feeling a deeper connection to the rear tire. I can also 'point and click' much better through turns if I so choose, being able to dig in and steer through the rear tire. I can correct better mid-turn in case a turn suddenly pinches and becomes way sharper or I need to suddenly avoid something in the road. I read on other forums that I would perhaps have to go a spring-rate softer, or alter my valving, or that this mod wasn't really necessary unless I was tracking the bike, or it would be uncomfortable for street riding only, but not so. I'm still able to use my 7.0nm spring that was on it before. I haven't bottomed it out yet (though close), and backed-off preload about 1/4 turn to get the sag right again. Valving is just fine the way it was setup previously w/ C5R3. Only had to back off 1 click on rear compression to make it nice and plush. Bike is way more comfy rear suspension-wise than it was before. You can source the parts off EBay for pretty cheap. I consider it is a must mod for myself as I was no longer feeling safe/comfortable w/ the progressive linkage while pushing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Flat link

I have run flat links on my previous bikes and had the same outcome. Thanks for the write up needless to say I plan to do the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been 'dialing' my bike in suspension-wise for aggressive street riding and sport-touring. With the NIX30 in front and TTX GP in back, both valved and sprung perfectly for my weight and riding style, something just wasn't right. Long story short, swapped the rear linkage from a 1199/1299 and used the 'flat' setting, and everything is good! No more 'pogo-y' feel from the rear at slow speeds. No more 'packing' the suspension on turns and not being able to feel the rear tire. No more unpredictable rear swing arm activity. I can actually feel my suspension in the back properly 'suspend' me. The bike holds lines in turns much better. I can 'flow' much better through turns feeling a deeper connection to the rear tire. I can also 'point and click' much better through turns if I so choose, being able to dig in and steer through the rear tire. I can correct better mid-turn in case a turn suddenly pinches and becomes way sharper or I need to suddenly avoid something in the road. I read on other forums that I would perhaps have to go a spring-rate softer, or alter my valving, or that this mod wasn't really necessary unless I was tracking the bike, or it would be uncomfortable for street riding only, but not so. I'm still able to use my 7.0nm spring that was on it before. I haven't bottomed it out yet (though close), and backed-off preload about 1/4 turn to get the sag right again. Valving is just fine the way it was setup previously w/ C5R3. Only had to back off 1 click on rear compression to make it nice and plush. Bike is way more comfy rear suspension-wise than it was before. You can source the parts off EBay for pretty cheap. I consider it is a must mod for myself as I was no longer feeling safe/comfortable w/ the progressive linkage while pushing it.
Hey man, I want to try this on my 959. I'm looking at used 1199 and 1299 setups, do I just need the triangle linkage with the F/P setting? Do I also need the rod from the 1199/1299 or is the stock 959 rod okay? Linked below is one I'm looking at. Do I need anything else? I'll be sticking with the stock spring/shock. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Panigale-1199-899-959-1299-Rear-Shock-Linkage-Flatlink-Rocker-55212881C/273669938353?epid=1323065162&hash=item3fb7ffdcb1:g:i8oAAOSwWapcSKyu:sc:USPSPriority!95141!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
The rods are non-adjustable on both the 959 and 1199, but I'm not sure if they are the same size. I would assume they are. I'm also not 100% sure about the 1299, but again, I would assume it's the same. Sorry I can't provide you with a more concrete answer, but I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
The rods are non-adjustable on both the 959 and 1199, but I'm not sure if they are the same size. I would assume they are. I'm also not 100% sure about the 1299, but again, I would assume it's the same. Sorry I can't provide you with a more concrete answer, but I hope this helps.
Sounds good! I found an adjustable one on ebay too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Ride-Height-Adjuster-Suspension-Linkage-87521941AA-Tie-Rod-899-1199-1299/183501396609?hash=item2ab9891a81:g:cY4AAOSwtLtbz8FA:rk:18:pf:0

So I could get the linkage and the adjustable rod

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
@codestp202 - I believe the stock 959 rod will be 10mm too long and raise the rear end - I looked into it and will get the DucaBike equipment, both hinge and adjustable rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rod

You will definitely need a shorter rod either a stk 1199/1299 or aftermarket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found all the parts I need, the only thing that is impossible to find used is the little cover that flips around for F/P. Even the part number pulls nothing up on ebay. No biggy I can get an oem one but they are a bit pricey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts