Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys and gals, I did it! After more than 12 years I got back on the track. Waay too darn long of a time! It was a great day, perfect weather and everyone was very friendly. My boots and gloves were brand new and the gloves "might" be too small by one size. I wore them for 2 days to try and break them in before the event, and they did stretch but they were still a bit too tight for my liking. That threw off my feel a bit so I took it extra easy all day. The boots were phenomenal from the first time I put them on. We started out with our own tent (my wife and I and our mascot) but once the winds picked up it was no match without some serious weight to hold it in place. That's when the guys from motodoffo were kind enough to invite us on their side, so we hung out with them the whole time - shout out to Shawn! Great guy in the gray pullover!

What could I say about the bike - well we all know its a great bike so I won't get into the positive put it on a pedestal type of talk - I wish I tweaked my suspension a bit so when I brake hard it didn't dive so much. I should've tested my tire pressure. I should've measured the amount of gas I put in the tank instead of rely on the stupid light. I should've bought a new one-piece race leathers. Little things, I know, but it's the little things that count! Once I get back into the groove and relax a little bit I'll have more time to do my thing and make sure all my i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Here's a link to the first video I took. This was my second time on track - still learning the turns!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
dont make the forks so stiff that they dont compress. you want the forks to move thru the stroke and settle when you brake into a turn. use a ziptie to gauge how far they are compressing and set preload and compression to where the zip tie is around 5-7mm from the bottom of the fork tube

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Rinzlr - Right when I was about to have it all checked out, my wife wanted to leave with our mascot :( - Shawn is the Engineer for motodoffo - the race team of Doffo Winery owner's son and his friend. He was going to set up my sag and check the travel after i'd just come back from some hot laps. Next time!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Dingo,
That is awesome. I'm envious. It's snowing here as I write.
About your gloves:
As we discussed on another thread, I bought a new pair of gloves also (Alpinestar GP Plus R).
Extremely tight as well but that's a good thing as they will stretch. My accessory dealer (also a racer) told me to dunk them in hot water and work them out for awhile. I did and it made a world of difference once dried.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@DarR - That's great if you love the snow... your time is almost near! I have the same gloves - did you boil a pot of water and submerge them, or just run hot water from the tap and put your hand under?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Dingo, the latter; hot water from the tap and put my hands under.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Popular method for breaking in combat boots and cowboy boots as well...

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You learn something new every day, thanks for the tip! I'm stretching them out tonight for sure.
Back to the track day and the bike. Here's some other pics, took them today when I picked up the bike - the shop transported the bike for me. The bike is filthy, I spent a solid 3 hours going over every nut, bolt and wire, except for the chain, which caused a mess from the shop lubing it when they put new tires on before the event. Back into street mode with the mirrors on and all clean.
These tires really are amazing - I wish I had more feel in my hands to ride more to my ability!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts