Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Working on getting my 600 break in miles done and my first service before I install my full Akro exhaust.

My Thoughts on the bike so far: (Miles 350) all ridden on very curvy roads with some switch backs and major elevation changes. Austin, TX and the West Hills provide just that....

Suspension - The stock suspension works very well, almost shocking how good. I used the same settings as recommened in the 959 article from latest edition of Roadracing World.

Brakes - Stock 959 Brembo's feel and respond as good as my 1199S M50's did (On the track will be the true test). I use ABS setting 1.

Motor - Rev's very quickly for sure and faster than the 1199 did. A close comparison to the 1199R in the way it rev's up. I noticed a huge difference with how smooth the motor feels at very low RPM's (in town / traffic riding) not at all choppy like the 1199 was. The bike really starts to come alive and pull hard at around 5K-6K RPM's (Race Mode) and doesn't seem to stop until those rev limit lights dance on the dash... For those of you who like to pull wheelies coming out of corners you will really like this motor because even 2nd gear wheelies are easy with just simple technique and throttle. Blip the throttle and tap the clutch makes 3-4 gear wheelies a breeze!!!

Throttle - If you do any mod first it must be "Panigale Spacers" kit so it takes out any and all throttle play. Best mod for $20! I'm amazed at how smooth it makes the bike feel when opening the throttle coming out of a corner. No hurky jerky bike dance..

Handling - If I didn't know better or hadn't read the specs I would be shocked that the 959 wieghts more than the 1199/1299. It feels just as nimble as my 1199S did. But what makes this bike feel even more confident inspiring is that the motor makes the bike feel so much more planted and glued to the road. Keeping a line and hitting the apex is almost a after thought with the 959.

Power - Very usable and taking the trottle to the stops is much easier than my 1199 was. Fianly a Panigale that makes street riding almost as fun as track riding!

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great review! Ducati touts the 959 as a bike with amazing handling without mods and your review just proves it. How was the throttle before you installed the Panigale Spacers kit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
How about the seat? Is it getting hot on you at all?
I am also interested to know if Ducati fixed that with in the 959. For all you veteran duc owners know about the heated seat feature that comes along with owning a Ducati. My 1098 is the absolute worst for this and my brother in law's 1199S is not any better. Really it's all the heat that comes from the rear exhaust manifold it's located right underneath the sac.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If they didn't end up fixing it, it will be worth it to look into getting some sort of heat shield you can mold and form to fit.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the seat? Is it getting hot on you at all?

As far as the heated seat goes I would say it's not nearly as bad as my previous 1199 but again it's still a Panigale. Also the outside temp during this time of th year makes a big difference, come summertime it will for sure be much hotter. Overall I would say if your new to Ducati and the Panigale then your going to find it to be hot but not to the point that it's a concern. The heat sheilds provide a nice barrier between the bike and your legs.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great review! Ducati touts the 959 as a bike with amazing handling without mods and your review just proves it. How was the throttle before you installed the Panigale Spacers kit?

The throttle in the stock format isn't bad but if your looking for a smoother throttle transistion from off the gas to on the gas (esp. coming out of a corner at full lean) then you'll notice the spacer kit makes it s so much better. Without a doubt the "Best" mod for the money!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also interested to know if Ducati fixed that with in the 959. For all you veteran duc owners know about the heated seat feature that comes along with owning a Ducati. My 1098 is the absolute worst for this and my brother in law's 1199S is not any better. Really it's all the heat that comes from the rear exhaust manifold it's located right underneath the sac.

My explanation for this very issue - "Ducati" builds racebikes adapted for the street. Heat comes from high compression, tight tolerances and Power!!! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they didn't end up fixing it, it will be worth it to look into getting some sort of heat shield you can mold and form to fit.

Several owners of Panigales that don't like the heat will exhaust wrap the rear header pipe which does makes a difference. Also I've seen others "ceramic coat" the header & mid pipes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am up to 450 now. Love Love Love everything about this bike. First mod was sliders ( I suggest everyone do the same) second is the throttle spacers. Best $29 bucks I ever spent. Some tank grips and rearsets are next for me.
Rucks has the right idea, this guy knows what he is talking about. Props to you buddy. Keep up the pics of your 959 and all it's goodies.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am up to 450 now. Love Love Love everything about this bike. First mod was sliders ( I suggest everyone do the same) second is the throttle spacers. Best $29 bucks I ever spent. Some tank grips and rearsets are next for me.
Rucks has the right idea, this guy knows what he is talking about. Props to you buddy. Keep up the pics of your 959 and all it's goodies.
Thanks I>3twins, I'm glad you like my bolt-on's! Can't wait to see your 959 come along. Make sure you post some pics as well... Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all

First time Ducati owner. Live in South Africa. Still riding the 959 in. Half way to the 600 mark. Rode in 35 degree weather around 95 F. Was wearing textile easy overs. By the time I got home my inner thigh was burnt red. Can't imagine how the other bikes can be any hotter than that.
Please can you guys give me an idea on what heat shield products have been used and how ceramic covering works.
Many thanks and awesome forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished my exhaust install, went with the akrapovic TI full system. Absolutely beautiful sound and the bike preforms so much better. Love everything about this bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just finished my exhaust install, went with the akrapovic TI full system. Absolutely beautiful sound and the bike preforms so much better. Love everything about this bike.
Did you go on some longer, high speed runs to really see how it sounds?

We should eventually get a poll up here to see who went with what exhaust, would be cool to see how many are in the Akra club ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The T-Rex ones are on my buy list. Quite a few on this forum are looking seriously at their product.

http://www.959panigale.net/forum/959-panigale-aftermarket-parts-accessories/1809-feeler-t-rex-engine-slider-group-buy.html
They are good, i got my set last week. Personally, i don't think the group buy makes sense for us Canadians as we will get charged with duty and brokerage, shipping, tax and etc. For those who are interested in ordering the t-rex sliders, give me a shout, i got mine $230 CAD after tax i believe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts