Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all experienced riders. I have an opportunity to buy a spotless white 2016 panigale 959 with 1050 miles on it for 9400 dollars.

However, need some advice.. Is this a good cost? With so many bad reviews and bashers on this bike, will I ever be able to sell it? I am looking to own and resell within a year or two. I like to switch bikes for the variety, no matter how much I love one or another. I ride for fun on the street, I do not do any track riding or commuting. Its a good stress reliever for me to ride for a few hours after work.

Also, need some honest opinions on the bike. I want to hear both the love, the hate, and why. I took it for a ride, but it was short and didn't go over 50mph. Handling felt very nice, acceleration was limited.. Felt similar to my old 2013 ninja 1000 to be honest... very linear and nice, but didnt quite throw me back in the saddle like a zx10r or r1. Could feel the heat slightly, but was only on it for 5-10 min.

Honestly want to pull the trigger, but with so many bad reviews out there, it makes it tough.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi @Fricke8, welcome to the forums! Lengthy post ahead!

I have an opportunity to buy a spotless white 2016 panigale 959 with 1050 miles on it for 9400 dollars. However, need some advice.. Is this a good cost?
Honest question, what is wrong with it? 1000 miles means only the first service was completed and thus would essentially be in pristine condition otherwise since it wasn't ridden much. I'd be wary about the cost, I'd value a perfect, never been down (crashed or tipped over) with no track time, 2016 959 Panigale with 1000 miles at $12k-13k. Something is not right here.

With so many bad reviews and bashers on this bike, will I ever be able to sell it?
You're going to have to be more specific. You're posting in a forum specifically about a bike you're looking to buy, at least cite some sources so we can refute it. Every bike has it's problems, but here's a biased but complete (my best attempt at least) list of actual issues/cons of the 959s:
  • Supersport ergonomics
  • Bad OEM handlebar grips
  • Hot seat
  • Mirrors are useless (can't see anything and they vibrate too much)
  • Mirrors are made out of dry spaghetti and snap easily
  • Easily the WORST pillion seat around
  • Rough engine characteristics
  • Lean surging with OEM tune
  • Stiff bike feel (due to lack of frame)
  • ABS causes loose initial pull
  • Coolant leaks are common
  • Coolant cap failure is common
  • Ducati parts tax (many ways around though)
  • Ducati maintenance requires many specialized tools
  • Odd OEM rear tire size

Worst case issues:
  • (1-2 users on this forum) Complete lemons, requiring complete refund due to multitude of problems
  • (<5 users on this forum) Electrical issues relating to the ECU/black box
  • (<5 users on this forum) Electrical issues relating to grounding
  • (~30 users on this forum) Cold start issue which never was resolved

Also, need some honest opinions on the bike. I want to hear both the love, the hate, and why. I took it for a ride, but it was short and didn't go over 50mph. Handling felt very nice, acceleration was limited.. Felt similar to my old 2013 ninja 1000 to be honest... very linear and nice, but didnt quite throw me back in the saddle like a zx10r or r1. Could feel the heat slightly, but was only on it for 5-10 min.
959s are not liter bikes, so its tough to compare them to true 1000cc bikes. The relatively flat (and relatively high) torque curve makes them a blast to ride around the street, but the power they make (130-150HP) won't pull as hard as the ZX10RR or R1 (180HP bikes). The heat is highly subjective, but if you're a rider that sits through stop and go often, consider how other bikes you have ridden felt. For example, the S1000RR is also notorious for having a hot seat. Most here are divided on the topic, either it is too hot and individuals take options to improve it, or individuals have absolutely no problem (I'm one that has removed heat shielding from my own 959 and have no problems at all with heat while wearing textile pants).

Honestly want to pull the trigger, but with so many bad reviews out there, it makes it tough.
Honestly, there are not that many bad reviews about the 959. Most reviews from reputable sources have been glowing about it, so once again, please post some sources, I'd love to review them and share with you if it holds any truth (albeit with some bias perhaps, but I'll do my best not to).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJ shrug,

Thanks for the reply!

Nothing wrong with the bike, it is a private sale that he has listed for 12K. He agreed to 9400. His riding buddy had an accident and passed away so he is ready to give it up for his family. Also he is retired at 42 years old... So money is not really an issue I imagine.

As far as problems, I have never have mirrors that worked so I am not worried about that. Should be able to turn ABS completely off right? Not too worried there. The rest are pretty typical issues, nothing too crazy..

I read the starter issue was resolved with an ECU flash at the dealer. The seller claimed it was bad at first and hardly started, but he said he reflashed the ECU for tuneboy cruise control and has not had an issue with the cold start yet. Started up fine when I was there.

How about all the loves for this model? I need some persuasion so I can go buy it this weekend :)

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I love mine. (2016 959) With it's smooth power band, nice handling, great brakes, super smooth transmission, I think it's a great bike for aggressive street riding. Not something I'd buy for city riding. My only complaint with mine is the initial cold start issue.

I think there are a decent amount of used 899 / 959 for sale out there, but $9,400 does seem like an aggressive deal for sure.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yo to be honest, you could probably immediately flip it for profit.....

Should be able to turn ABS completely off right?
For street use, it might be a non-issue. My 959 used to have it, but after a couple of front wheel changes (some state its a caliper misalignment issue) and about 5000 miles, it may have gone away and/or I just got used to it.

I read the starter issue was resolved with an ECU flash at the dealer. The seller claimed it was bad at first and hardly started, but he said he reflashed the ECU for tuneboy cruise control and has not had an issue with the cold start yet. Started up fine when I was there.
More fuel to the "too good to be true" fire. If it was reflashed, that adds more value to this bike. It sounds like you got a pretty good relationship with this guy and if you trust him, don't miss out on this sale. Based on this site's members' experiences, reliability is not really an issue unless you have one of the worse issues (which should be present in the first 1000 miles). Make sure you don't have the cold start nor the hot start issue (basically the same issue).

Owning a Panigale has a lot to do with emotion. It has a lot more character than other bikes in terms of aesthetics and feeling (touch and hearing). You could always stick with some other bike that may check off the boxes, but none will satisfy that last remaining box which brought you here in the first place.

You know why you came here and posted about needing an extra push. We all have the same itch that only the Panigale could scratch (and are smart about not considering a 1299). See if you can get another ride on one and at least get to redline in first and second, I think you'll find the answer right then and there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Excellent response @DJ Shrug ! The only thing I can add - that's negative - is that the 959 does not like going slow. It's a Pain In The Arse.
What is the 959 good at? Just the opposite of going slow - going fast!!! Its a complete joy to ride between 70-100mph. Oh, one more thing... if you haven't rev'd it to near redline from a red light through the first 3 gears then you haven't ridden it properly!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you hate being told how nice your bike is at stop lights, gas stations, parking lots, pretty much any public place, Don't get a 959. Especially in Arctic White.

If you want to enjoy a wider inline 4 less mid corner stable bike ever again. Don't get a 959.

If you want to ride mainly in the city. Don't get a 959. If you ride anywhere remotely twisty and enjoy keeping a straight face. Don't get a 959.

If you want to enjoy the high pitched screech of a non-twin bike ever again, Don't get a 959.

If you hate feeling euphoric after setting a line, almost effortlessly maintaining said line, and then aggressively pinning the throttle on the way out of the corner. Don't get a 959.

If you don't like drinking a beer while staring lustfully at your own bike in the garage, Don't get a 959.

There, plenty of reasons not to get one. =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@DJ Shrug @dougo1199 @Cotonete @Dingo @jbehnke

Thanks all for the helpful information! I decided to pull the trigger! First 100 miles with me on it were spectacular. Now I am ready to start modding, got some great ideas from other forums on here.

Proud Ducati owner now. Still searching for the good twistys out here in Wisconsin before the cold comes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well that was easy @Fricke8! Fingers crossed for the worse case issues - as of late, there haven't been any posts about them so you might be in the clear with the 2018.

Welcome to the AWS family.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the AWS family! 1 more to add to the list!
Looks like the Low Beams have been replaced already?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
@Fricke8
Welcome to the forum and Panigale ownership. It's like nothing else you've ever ridden.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats! Welcome to the AWS family! 1 more to add to the list!
Looks like the Low Beams have been replaced already?
No, just had the bike off with the key turned so only the LED lights were on. I have already ordered the H11 Phillips Diamond Vision Bulbs to replace the low beams though. It was first on the list! So cheap, easy, and looks great.

Based on what I have read on here, next I am going with the NRC fender eliminator bracket only, and the Competition Werks integrated tail light, with just a standard metal cover for the original fender hole. Likely going to wait until winter to do the installs so I can take my time. That way I can enjoy the rest of the season on the bike and not in the garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@DJ Shrug @dougo1199 @Cotonete @Dingo @jbehnke

Thanks all for the helpful information! I decided to pull the trigger! First 100 miles with me on it were spectacular. Now I am ready to start modding, got some great ideas from other forums on here.

Proud Ducati owner now. Still searching for the good twistys out here in Wisconsin before the cold comes in.
Congrats this is truly a great place to get advice and I couldn't say it better my 959 is the best thing that ever happened to me speaking Bikes LOL...and you will have the same experience ENJOY!!!

To everyone above who gave input great job!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
SWEET! Congrats! I'm from Wisconsin, what part are you from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SWEET! Congrats! I'm from Wisconsin, what part are you from?
Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one that rides the awful frost heaved roads of Wisconsin!

I am from Madison area. Know any good roads out here with some smooth asphalt twisties?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts