Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I used to have a zx6r and I got a 959 which I love the bike but for some reason I am struggling with slow speed turns so much so I end up clutching in the turn which is bad. The bike throttle is also jumpy at slow speeds like the engine wants more power etc. any help on this matter would be great. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Dingo, the combination of throttle spacers and Domino grips dramatically improved my throttle input sensitivity.

Not sure if you are dropping the revs too low in the turn as well, things get really lumpy beneath @3.5k. Play with your EBC settings too to find your preference, some people do not like the aggressive engine braking.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
@mdsniper7
Definitely install Throttle Spacers.
Grips and EBC is a personal thing. I don't have an issue with the stock grips and love lots of engine braking. I feel it makes the bike come alive, but that's just me. I can appreciate the transition for those recently coming-off a silky smooth Japanese mid-size four cylinder.

I have just purchases a (-1F) 14T front counter sprocket that will be installed when I replace the stock tires is a few weeks.
That should help a lot. I can't yet comment personally but those that have made the switch are very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am curious to know the context of the slow speed turn... left / right hand intersection? narrow parking lot or coming out of a driveway...

Certainly it is going to take a little transition time to gain confidence on the bike vs what you have been historically riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
That would be my question too... what are you considering a low speed corner? Posted at: 25mph, 15mph? What gear are you in as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I do not have the spacers but I just ordered today so thank you. However I'm talking about 15mph or less I seem to be stuttering through the turn. going right or left. I also am in first gear through those turns otherwise I would stall out in second. I drive the bike in sport mode with factory settings.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I see. If you're in 1st and you say you'd stall in 2nd, sounds like perhaps you just may not be carrying enough corner speed is all. As a general rule of thumb you can usually about double the rated corner speed without any issues. Provided of course the conditions are 'normal' - decent temp, no debris, water, etc. Superbikes are designed work best at speed, so they are not the most friendly machines at lower speeds. Especially the twins. lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea we just have bad roads in northern Virginia so theres a lot of gravel and potholes, so taking those turns to quickly is bad lol. Any tips in a normal turn say from a stop light going left. Trying to get it not to stutter but is was so much easier in the zx6r then this bike lol. Just don't want to make a mistake and drop the most beautiful bike in the world.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
yea we just have bad roads in northern Virginia so theres a lot of gravel and potholes, so taking those turns to quickly is bad lol. Any tips in a normal turn say from a stop light going left. Trying to get it not to stutter but is was so much easier in the zx6r then this bike lol. Just don't want to make a mistake and drop the most beautiful bike in the world.
Probably just a matter of getting used to the twin. Throttle control is much more of a thing with the twin.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@mdsniper7 - get used to feathering the clutch more at such a slow speed. I don't even think I can run that slow without clutch intervention!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hey guys I used to have a zx6r and I got a 959 which I love the bike but for some reason I am struggling with slow speed turns so much so I end up clutching in the turn which is bad. The bike throttle is also jumpy at slow speeds like the engine wants more power etc. any help on this matter would be great. Thanks guys.

You're trying to compare an inline four to an L-twin, the four has it's power pulses spaced half as far apart, each 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation versus 360 degrees on the twin and is going to have much better manners at low speed. My '09 ZX-6R will pull away from a stop smoothly in third gear with minimal clutch work, can't come close to that with my 959. Bottom line, 959 is a race bike that can be road ridden. Get it in it's element which is a track or twisty back road and it's a blast, just not much fun in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My triumph daytona 675 doesnt like being ridden below 10 mph so clutch work becomes essential at those speeds for me also. Test rode the 959 and it was very similar in that manner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts