Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me as I am new to all of this. I need a leather suit for a riding school I'm attending in November. I also plan to track the bike a good bit as well once I am comfortable enough (hence the riding school). I have some pretty abnormal sizing when it comes to this. An off the rack suit will not fit me. What are some reputable companies you all know of. Google gave me a lot of results but I figured you all could steer me in the right direction. Would like to stay under $2000. Thanks in advance gents!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm no expert, that's for sure. I'm pretty happy with my AGV Sport (Phantom) suit and I know they do customs but its a little over $2000 as I recall. I'm guessing getting a custom suit under $2000 is going to be tough. Maybe a two piece for the time being might be easier, at least to start with??

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am not sure just how abnormal your sizing is... I know mine is outside of the typical US proportions. I have a long torso and short legs, standing 6 feet but a 30" inseam. I am also slightly muscular, but more wiry than bulked up, so it is often difficult to find jackets and pants that fit. Finding a one piece was very difficult, though I wound up being lucky with a Dainese which is aimed more towards EURO than US.

A brand that you may wish to consider before resigning your efforts to find an off rack fit is RS Taichi. They can get closer to the top of your budget, but they have a lot of variation in their sizing. Not only do they cater to US and EURO, but Asian builds as well, so the lines they make are very diverse.

If you are open to a two piece - nearly all tracks will accept them provided they zip together - you will have a much wider range from which to choose. I have Dainese jackets that zip together with other Dainese jackets I own and because Ducati Corse jackets are made by Dainese, they will zip with my Delta Pro C2 pants, which is what the Ducati pants are.

My trouble at the moment is that I have the BMW Sport 2 jacket and I am not sure who makes it. I was hoping that I could figure out the OEM and then find some of their pants. I am thinking it is RS Taichi... they did come with a loose zip belt that can be stitched into other makes of pants which is what Taichi does. So you can find a nice $600 jacket and zip them in with some $500 pants and have a great fitting suit while coming in way under budget for the cost of someone adding the zipper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I need to bump my budget a bit. I'm going to contact AGV sport and look into RS Taichi. My proportions are just different. 45" chest 33" waist 42" hips 26" legs. Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I can get a good quality suit for $2500.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please bear with me as I am new to all of this. I need a leather suit for a riding school I'm attending in November. I also plan to track the bike a good bit as well once I am comfortable enough (hence the riding school). I have some pretty abnormal sizing when it comes to this. An off the rack suit will not fit me. What are some reputable companies you all know of. Google gave me a lot of results but I figured you all could steer me in the right direction. Would like to stay under $2000. Thanks in advance gents!

Hi @nuuby.

Not sure what size you are, but a lot of people i know recommend Shark Leathers:

Road Racing Suits - Race Suits - Shark Motorcycle Leathers

Sure, they're not as big as Alpinestars or Dianese, but they're good and affordable.

Contact them and i'm sure they will help you out with sizing, etc.

PS - No, i'm not affiliated to them in any way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I had originally contacted AGV sport for a custom suit. To put it mildly, the customer service was less than exemplary. I contacted heroic racing and they are doing a custom suit for me. Very nice over the phone and he explained the pros and cons of all of their suits. Didn't try to upsell me on the most expensive one. They did digital renderings to make sure everything is to my liking. Thanks again. I'll post pics in 6 weeks. :grin2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$2250.00 all in. doing kangaroo in all the perforated areas & cowhide in abrasion areas. they are also going to match a pair of their race gloves to the suit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts