Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 959 Corse. I would like to get some mirrors that don't distort with vibration and actually allow me to see what's behind me. What do you recommend: bar end style (like Rizoma Reverse Retro) or fairing mount (like Rizoma Veloce L)? Thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah @DrSpencer , the Rizoma's should've come on the bike as stock parts - they look the part. They're extremely sturdy and there's no vibration while looking in them at any speed. Highly Recommended if you have the cash to spend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah @DrSpencer , the Rizoma's should've come on the bike as stock parts - they look the part. They're extremely sturdy and there's no vibration while looking in them at any speed. Highly Recommended if you have the cash to spend.
I agree, they do look pretty slick. Aren't the Veloces the same length as the stock mirrors? Do they offer any more 'behind you' view over stock? Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I agree, they do look pretty slick. Aren't the Veloces the same length as the stock mirrors? Do they offer any more 'behind you' view over stock? Thanks

They’re about the same length, yes, and therefore don’t provide much improvement over stock with regard to viewing angle. They are solid and don’t shake, and from what I recall are a tad lower. I don’t have my stock mirrors to judge now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
folding of the mirrors

They’re about the same length, yes, and therefore don’t provide much improvement over stock with regard to viewing angle. They are solid and don’t shake, and from what I recall are a tad lower. I don’t have my stock mirrors to judge now...

Can they fold easily? Looking to buy a mirror that can fold when lane splitting. Also shouldn't fold itself at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@agash - They're great at not vibrating because of their material and because they're stiff. They can fold, but I'm not sure they're supposed to, often. They're held in place by tightening a screw - and definitely don't move at high speeds.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What do you mean fitted with 959 base? I heard it hit the windscreen when folded.

Give motoscience a call. They will send you the 1199 mirrors with their 959 mirror bases. The 959 mirrors they sell have a shorter arm, like stock mirrors. The 1199 mirrors are longer but the 1199 mounting base will not fit the 959. They mix and match the components for your needs.

I got tired of breaking stock mirror arms by just bumping into them, stock mirrors are too short to see behind you, and they vibrate to the point of being useless.

Motoscience are not as pretty as the rizoma units.

They could hit the windscreen since they are also secured by a bolt that allows full rotation with resistance until they hit something. Good for positioning choices but yes, they could hit the screen since there are no hard stops. Not an issue in use so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give motoscience a call. They will send you the 1199 mirrors with their 959 mirror bases. The 959 mirrors they sell have a shorter arm, like stock mirrors. The 1199 mirrors are longer but the 1199 mounting base will not fit the 959. They mix and match the components for your needs.

I got tired of breaking stock mirror arms by just bumping into them, stock mirrors are too short to see behind you, and they vibrate to the point of being useless.

Motoscience are not as pretty as the rizoma units.

Thanks for the reply. As I’m from singapore I’ll drop a mail to motoscience. My Friend installed them in his 1199 and said it folds itself at high speed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks for the reply. As I’m from singapore I’ll drop a mail to motoscience. My Friend installed them in his 1199 and said it folds itself at high speed.

They are secured by the tension of a single nut on a stem through which the wires pass. If you get the tension of the securing nut correct, they do not budge even at triple digit speeds.

They will move if you bump them, rather than shatter like stock mirror stems.

The below pic is using a nylon nut, but they also provide brass style nuts that provide better tension.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
They are secured by the tension of a single nut on a stem through which the wires pass. If you get the tension of the securing nut correct, they do not budge even at triple digit speeds.

They will move if you bump them, rather than shatter like stock mirror stems.

The below pic is using a nylon nut, but they also provide brass style nuts that provide better tension.
Some gripes about the motoscience mirrors:

The powder coating on the base and arm is very easily chipped and damaged

The mounting hardware is not ideal if you need to remove the mirrors. The bolts securing the base to the fairings are secured by nuts (see pics) which protrude into the cockpit and are ugly to look at. Compare the stock to the motoscience in the pic below, motoscience on the right.

I ended up soldering the wires instead of using the supplied connectors since I felt the connection was not adequate without soldering them. See pic. My wires are shrink wrapped over solder, instead of a crimp type connector supplied.

The caps that snap in to cover the pivot bolt do not fit perfectly well.

For the price point, it could be more refined.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts