Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Noticed this today just before cleaning my bike...looks like the chain ground down a bolt. The chain is tight (now) so maybe this was fixed after they did the initial inspection/oil change but the inside of the chain looks like it took a mild beating...should I be concerned here? I never noticed it before. Not sure how this bolt is ever coming out now without drilling... :-/

https://imgur.com/ubBTpvL

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi

Noticed this today just before cleaning my bike...looks like the chain ground down a bolt. The chain is tight (now) so maybe this was fixed after they did the initial inspection/oil change but the inside of the chain looks like it took a mild beating...should I be concerned here? I never noticed it before. Not sure how this bolt is ever coming out now without drilling... :-/

Just checked that bolt head on my 959 and there is no sign of abrasion on that bolt head. Let us know what your dealer says is the cause. If your chain is rubbing against that surface, the cause must be found and adjustments made.

Between that clutch cover and now this bolt head, you are really having some unique squawks. :confused:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi

Wow, that is an extremely sloppy chain to have ground that bolt head like that. I would hope that was done after the bike was checked or serviced, otherwise bring the bike to a different shop for service! They should’ve seen that clear as day. Also I suspect they never adjusted the ride height for you, you’ll want to get that done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just checked that bolt head on my 959 and there is no sign of abrasion on that bolt head. Let us know what your dealer says is the cause. If your chain is rubbing against that surface, the cause must be found and adjustments made.

Between that clutch cover and now this bolt head, you are really having some unique squawks. :confused:
Tell me about it....

Wow, that is an extremely sloppy chain to have ground that bolt head like that. I would hope that was done after the bike was checked or serviced, otherwise bring the bike to a different shop for service! They should’ve seen that clear as day. Also I suspect they never adjusted the ride height for you, you’ll want to get that done.

They didn't adjust anything for me....ok...this sucks...I'll call another shop, clearly they blow...and it's the dealer. The chain does feel very tight now, like applying a bit of force I don't see how it could possibly make contact. I was wondering what all the silver streaks were all over my bike when I VERY FIRST rode off on it. I figured it was chain grease. Nope, that was the bolt getting ground to bits. They said nothing when they did the first service. Nothing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking a close look today in the bright sunlight...is that shiny/silver area normal? Or was it ground down by the chain?? I can't seem to find an up-close shot of this area on another 959 Panigale.

https://imgur.com/vwmfFt9

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
All the stock fasteners are black, just like the ones around the key holder and plastics, rear hugger and front one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_5649.JPG

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah, I can see that now in the picture you posted - holy crap! Someone milled it down! That is a shame - clearly they tried to put a bandaid on a mis-aligned rear wheel. Someone must've forgotten a shim or spacer...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I can see that now in the picture you posted - holy crap! Someone milled it down! That is a shame - clearly they tried to put a bandaid on a mis-aligned rear wheel. Someone must've forgotten a shim or spacer...

So it's the rear wheel that's misaligned and not the chain? sh!t...I'm trying to figure out my argument for tomorrow but maybe I don't need one at all. I mean this isn't my problem/issue that I created.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There’s several reasons why the chain would reach that screw head... just thinking out loud here, this isn’t an exact list of reasons:
a- the chain is stretched and the slop hasn’t been taken out by adjusting the rear wheel
b- the screw came loose and backed out enough to hit the chain
c- the cush drive is worn or not seated properly
d- the rear sprocket is not where it should be
e- the front sprocket is not where it should be

From seeing how the swing arm has been milled, I have to suspect whoever looked at the original issue didn’t look into the engineering of the situation otherwise they wouldn’t of had to mill the swing arm!

You need a new swing arm, wheel, cush and all related spacers and bearings for the wheel. It’s easy to check if the sprocket is bent once it’s off the wheel...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s several reasons why the chain would reach that screw head... just thinking out loud here, this isn’t an exact list of reasons:
a- the chain is stretched and the slop hasn’t been taken out by adjusting the rear wheel
b- the screw came loose and backed out enough to hit the chain
c- the cush drive is worn or not seated properly
d- the rear sprocket is not where it should be
e- the front sprocket is not where it should be

From seeing how the swing arm has been milled, I have to suspect whoever looked at the original issue didn’t look into the engineering of the situation otherwise they wouldn’t of had to mill the swing arm!

That's a heck of a list. Shameful for a nearly brand new bike. You think they'll replaced all the damaged parts under warranty? I sincerely hope so...

·
Registered
63 Posts
You'rs is clearly a late model 959, mine was one of the first to hit the roads. Being the first, it does not have the relief machined into the swingarm, clearly a design flaw that they realised later.

I've been asking Ducati for the last 4 months what they are going to do about it, to date they haven't given me a resolution to the issue. If it continues this way, I'll also be asking for a new chain as I've been pretty patient so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'rs is clearly a late model 959, mine was one of the first to hit the roads. Being the first, it does not have the relief machined into the swingarm, clearly a design flaw that they realised later.

I've been asking Ducati for the last 4 months what they are going to do about it, to date they haven't given me a resolution to the issue. If it continues this way, I'll also be asking for a new chain as I've been pretty patient so far.
I went to the dealer and they insisted that it was the bolt that backed out and that there's nothing wrong with the bike. They didn't replace the chain, they said it was fine. There's no way the bolt would've backed out to get grinded down then tighten itself back up (ha!) but hey, whatever they say I guess...as long as the issue never happens again, I'm OK with it. People are getting there swinging replaced in that thread I linked above, I would push back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, I got a phone call yesterday confirming that a warranty replacement swing arm has been authorised and ordered.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep, I got a phone call yesterday confirming that a warranty replacement swing arm has been authorised and ordered.
Nice, but Ducati does like to take it's time authorizing claims. That needs to improve. I had to deal with the long wait on warranty repairs as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, months have gone by...Ducati replaced the bolt with a flush one that "will not" interfere with the chain. Wrong. It still does. At this point all I can do is complain to Ducati USA again.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, months have gone by...Ducati replaced the bolt with a flush one that "will not" interfere with the chain. Wrong. It still does. At this point all I can do is complain to Ducati USA again.

WoW - something isn't right there... more than 7K miles on mine and not one scratch on the original hardware.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Blah Blah Blah.

If you own an early 959 like I do, your bike wasn't shipped with the milled relief and you would have had the chain strike the swingarm. Ducati obviously realised their design flaw, hence later model 959's got milled swing arms and in the case of mine, I got a replacement swingarm under warranty.

It's still a bit of a design flaw in my opinion, the screw is in a **** position and the actual plastic guide sits lower than the swingarm itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What ever happened?
clearly something was out of place. I have a 16 and there is no milling or scratching any ware. Also it’s bull that the screW backed out pretty sure it’s got lock tight on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts