Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am researching on either a new 959 or a used 1199 as both are at similar price point. Can any owners who own or had experience on both models share some pros and cons... thanks

I mostly do street rides and sometimes weekend country rides, no track days.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I went through that same quandary when contemplating a new street bike purchase. I have owned an 1199 for 3 seasons. I purchased it new at the end of 2012. However it's never seen the street as I purchased it for track use only. In my opinion, all "super bikes" are ultimately designed for track use although the majority of them end up as street bikes (naturally) Between the two I think the 959 is better suited for the street. The 1199 is a beast and doesn't like to move slow WHAT SO EVER. I decided to go with the 959 for my new street bike and have one on order so I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet, but I've owned enough Ducati's to have a good feel for what it will be like.

A few things to consider; to stay in the 959 price range on the 1199 you'd be looking at a 2012 or 2013 which will leave you without a warranty. Also, tire replacement on the 1199 is considerably higher due to the 200 rear VS the 180. From what I've read, the 0 to 60 / 60 to 100 times are marginal between the two which is where you'll have the most use on the street. Top speed of course is higher on the 1199, but how often will you see anything over 150 mph on the street? Also, the geometry change on the 959 should make it more user friendly for the road. One downside to the 959 initially will be the amount of available aftermarket parts, but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Also, the addition of the mechanical slipper on the 959 is a big plus! Even though both bikes have the EBC function, there is not enough 'free wheeling" available on the 1199 with just the EBC, in my opinion. Basically, it's just harder to be able to run the big bike up in it's power band where it likes to be on the street. Hope this helps!!

Reactions: CBR_PC

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hi,

I am researching on either a new 959 or a used 1199 as both are at similar price point. Can any owners who own or had experience on both models share some pros and cons... thanks

I mostly do street rides and sometimes weekend country rides, no track days.

I've owned a 1199S and it was an awesome bike but was born for the track day / racer. Now having the new 959 I would steer you more towards the 959 because it takes the cake for street riding. But if you can try and go to your local dealer and demo the 959 before making your final decision, but my money is on you settling down with the "middleweight" superstar...959!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your inputs, it's really helpful.... yes I don't think I'll need the power of 1199 as 1st gear may land me in jail on majority of the roads anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts