Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes we know, the 959 Panigale is just barely 10 days old and were already looking forward to what replaces it.

But don't think of it as what will replace the 959, more of what will Ducati do next.

Let's be honest both the 959 and 1299 are likely at the end of their lifecycles. The 959 has already moved well outside the middle weight category and is ostensibly a full blown supersport, even though Ducati doesn't think so.

Stefano Tarabusi, project manager for the XDiavel is on record that the Superquadro is unlikely to receive any more displacement bumps, being big enough already.

French site MotoStation recently spoke to Stefano Strappazzon, product manager for Ducati's sporty offerings, he had a few interesting things to say about the sports arm of the brand moving forward.

When asked about the potential for Ducati to adopt a V4 layout similar to their GP bike Strappazzon responded with a curt I cannot comment.

But his most interesting response came when asked about Forced Induction: [I]Again, I absolutely can not reveal to you what is emerging at Ducati in the future. Naturally, we look at all the technologies and the compressor is an interesting solution, although motorcycle we have other constraints than by car: weight, cost, space requirements. Earlier, we mentioned all the stress related to the length exhaust manifolds. By car, if you need an additional 20 centimeters, it is not a big problem, but it becomes motorbike. And in technology, the bike should see considerable progress in the coming years, and this very quickly.[/I]

The way we see it, if MotoStation was that far off base you get a straight denial. No sir, not happening. But I cannot comment is extremely ambiguous and indicates to us that these are options still being weight in Bologna.

We'll see...

·
Registered
358 Posts
What Strappazzon probably signals that it is going to happen, sure he would have said no if it wasn't going to be the case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
But it sounds like Ducati is going to help Audi instead of the other way around.
Moto-station: Ducati can now count on the support of the Volkswagen Audi Group, there he is collaboration between different technical departments? Can you seek engine Audi engineers or are you able to help?

Stefano Strappazzon: Yes, it is possible. Collaboration exists. Ducati is adept certain technologies, work on particular materials, and Audi can ask us if necessary.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can see something happening here where tech that Ducati has in their products find their way in audi products. Don't think that's totally out of the norm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can see something happening here where tech that Ducati has in their products find their way in audi products. Don't think that's totally out of the norm.
bikes are old tech vs cars though. I seriously doubt Audi adopts demo valves for road cars. They may be interested in Ducati knowhow building 1 Liter and above twin cylinder engines however. Those could be cool in hybrids, because you could still get that powerful burble without having to turn to massive displacement ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts