Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New owner from Sydney Australia.

Been trying to get on the forum for months but never got authorised. Tried to Facebook and email admin but nothing worked. Ended up using the sms option via family in the states.

Got by bike a month ago after almost 10 years off a bike and day one I dropped it on its left. Very gently since I was standing at an intersection and while trying to turn the throttle didn't respond and I was already leaning slightly. My left leg couldn't carry the 200kg past a certain angle. Guess 10 years of rust helped.

Anyway took a month to replace the left mirror and handle/levers and yesterday got to finally go for a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone interested in purchase details I got it for AUD $22k + $800 for accessories including rear seat cowl, ducati tail tidy & LED turn signals (installed at first service due to legalities) and ducati tank pad. Also bargained in the first service for that price.

At the time of service there was a deal going at frasers for the akras - $3000 slip ons or $3800 full (+installation). I wasn't up for spending any more but was a good deal I thought. Would've posted in the corresponding thread but I wasn't allowed!

For those in Australia, my insurance through NRMA was $572.79 full comprehensive. Next closest quote I got was youi for $903. Everyone else was $1200-1300. This includes a no claim bonus of 60% plus multi policy discount of 12.5%. One of the guys at the dealer couldn't believe how cheap my insurance was. Told me to double check that its correct but since I dropped the bike on day one, I found out fairly quickly that the insurance pays out. Total damage was $1500 but excess was only $650 and the lady said I would probably lose 5-10% of my no claim bonus next year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not bad insurance. I think it helps to go through smaller insurance companies if you live in the city, bigger insurance companies seem to charge more unless you have other reasons for them to lower your rate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome aboard, mate! Good to finally have you here after all that authentication razzle-dazzle. And glad the losses caused by the drop weren't too catastrophic. Just comes to show anything can happen no matter how careful we try be. Due to a turning circle that's lengthier than the Great Wall, and the lack thereof smooth easing at the clutch engagement zone / bite point (without any throttle input), my aim is to walk the bike when in extremely slow-speed turns (where rear brake modulation and counter-steering won't work). As silly and provocative-laughter-at-the-newbie this sight may look to the more experienced, as well as the non-riders, I can at the very least reassure myself that I'm decreasing the chances of falling over with this beauty. Thanks for sharing the specifics, by the way... your insurance is insanely low from my viewpoint, especially with the Aussie dollars. Re: Ducati tail tidy, are you talking about the DP Carbon Fiber piece?

Not bad insurance. I think it helps to go through smaller insurance companies if you live in the city, bigger insurance companies seem to charge more unless you have other reasons for them to lower your rate.
Thanks for this tip! I'm going to touch-base with whatever options and small companies I can find, given how bad I have it now despite a clean record.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dude, jump on Sydney Ducatista on facebook. And welcome to another 959 in Oz.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard, mate! Good to finally have you here after all that authentication razzle-dazzle. And glad the losses caused by the drop weren't too catastrophic. Just comes to show anything can happen no matter how careful we try be. Due to a turning circle that's lengthier than the Great Wall, and the lack thereof smooth easing at the clutch engagement zone / bite point (without any throttle input), my aim is to walk the bike when in extremely slow-speed turns (where rear brake modulation and counter-steering won't work). As silly and provocative-laughter-at-the-newbie this sight may look to the more experienced, as well as the non-riders, I can at the very least reassure myself that I'm decreasing the chances of falling over with this beauty. Thanks for sharing the specifics, by the way... your insurance is insanely low from my viewpoint, especially with the Aussie dollars. Re: Ducati tail tidy, are you talking about the DP Carbon Fiber piece?
Yes the CF piece. Literally one piece and the rest is aluminum. Can't wait to get the stock one off its huge! considered other brands but wanted to keep the plates visible and also wanted to use the DP LED turn signals as they seem a lot more visible than some of the others available.

I'm also being very careful like you as I get reacquainted with riding and especially low speed maneuvering.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all and I will check out Sydney Ducatista on FB! Good to have gotten a few rides in now and can't wait to open her up a bit more after first service.

Got ceramic pro applied last week. Detailer said it shouldn't be done to non-clear-coated paint but he has tried using a resin base and then the ceramic pro on top. See how it goes but definitely good to get the detail done since the bike comes with some serious swirl marks and minor scratched, straight from the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts