Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it fired and started with no issue. I turned away and started gathering my gear and about after a minute of running the engine suddenly turned off. I came back around to the bike and noticed that the entire dash was off with the exception of the security light show in my picture which was not blinking, rather steadily lit. At that point the bike was completely dead. Would not turn over, no warning lights, nothing...just steady red center indicator. I tried other key thinking it was something with the anti theft system, nothing.
While trying to contact the dealer, which is incidentally closed on Mondays, I came back to the bike and suddenly Noticed light blinking as it normally does. Attempted to start and it fired up immediately.
The above took place over 15 minutes. I did not feel like getting stranded somewhere and having to wait hoping it started again so I left it and grabbed my old faithful CBR 600.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I cannot seem to find anything with respect to that center light steadily lit with the engine not even turning over.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Appears electrical in nature. Entire dash blinks on and off randomly while running sometimes even turning off completely with engine running. Going back to dealer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rant for the day:
Bike at dealer for 4 full days. Still no idea of what is causing electrical issues. Was advised that diag test results were relayed to Ducati who then advises shop of what to replace. That sounds efficient.
beauracracy at my dealer ...... Just great

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well ****, that really sucks. Ill keep checking on this thread for info as you get it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Day 9 :
Renaming my thread " Lemon law update "
Dealer has no clue what's wrong. At this point Ducati wants to try recoding both keys to see if that works. Literally they have no clue.
Starting to research Florida "lemon law" attorneys as the laws in Florida do apply to motorcycles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update for anyone who gives a c**p:
Dealer advised that Ducati has determined that the ignition is not communicating with the ECU properly. They have "re-married" the ignition/theft immobilized via programming . As Luck would have it, mine is the first reported issue of its kind on the new 959. Not a title I really wanted.
I should have back in 1-2 days.
I will give final outcome then in case anyone else runs into it.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
That bites hard, hoping this is just an isolated issue. No problems so far with mine other than a bit of part throttle surging which seems to be getting better.... or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Reactions: bucfan444

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update day 15: Received a call from the service advisor this morning advising me that the bike was ready to be picked up. Picked it up and drove it back to my work where it was parked all day. I went to get on the bike at the end of the day, it ran for approximately 60 seconds, and then I'll give you three guesses what happened next......
Being towed back to dealer tomorrow first thing.
I really hope no one else has to go through the frustration of this. I have zero confidence in this motorcycle or Ducati at this point.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Wow, what a story, sorry to hear this, might be time to fire off a letter to Ducati as these problems seem to be widespread.

What corrective action did the dealer say they took on the work order? Apparently they missed it completely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, what a story, sorry to hear this, might be time to fire off a letter to Ducati as these problems seem to be widespread.

What corrective action did the dealer say they took on the work order? Apparently they missed it completely.
I read the technicians notes (which were not given to me but I read them). Ducati states the ignition is not "communicating" with the instrument panel causing problems with immobilizer and causing engine to cut off unexpectedly. No parts have been replaced. They have, in their words, "re-married" the ignition to the ECU via reprogramming. Apparently this did not resolve the issue. To add insult to injury, Florida does not recognize motorcycles under Florida Lemon Laws. I have no protection under Lemon law as far as I can see. Regardless, I am going to contact an attorney to see what legal recourse I may have down the line if the problem persists.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I read the technicians notes (which were not given to me but I read them). Ducati states the ignition is not "communicating" with the instrument panel causing problems with immobilizer and causing engine to cut off unexpectedly. No parts have been replaced. They have, in their words, "re-married" the ignition to the ECU via reprogramming. Apparently this did not resolve the issue. To add insult to injury, Florida does not recognize motorcycles under Florida Lemon Laws. I have no protection under Lemon law as far as I can see. Regardless, I am going to contact an attorney to see what legal recourse I may have down the line if the problem persists.

It sounds like the correct diagnosis based on my experience but it sounds like it's not just the key causing the problem.

I'm wondering if there is a way to defeat the immobilizer, go straight analog?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 22
Received call from service. Replacing entire ignition switch and reprogramming keys.
Will be done approx day 25-27 of downtime.
They are sure this will solve my dilemma .
If that thing doesn't start again, I'm pushing it through the showroom glass into the service managers office.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I understand your frustration... but scratching it up isn't going to do you any good :laugh:
Hope their response fixes it - here's to having my fingers crossed for ya! :wink2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Day 22
Received call from service. Replacing entire ignition switch and reprogramming keys.
Will be done approx day 25-27 of downtime.
They are sure this will solve my dilemma .
If that thing doesn't start again, I'm pushing it through the showroom glass into the service managers office.
Any update at this point?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts