Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

New member, not my first rodeo

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  PunyJuney 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm June,
I live in Colorado, near Morrison. I love to ride in the Canyons on my MV Agusta 1078rr Brutale. I am truly spoiled by HP and torque as my Brutale is a beast with 171hp and 118 to the rear at 10,800 rpm. I'm little, my bike and I combined are a bit over 500lbs. A couple years ago I bought a new 2019 Ducati V4 Panigale as my dream bike and planned to keep it forever but my suspension wizard couldn't get it low enough for me to reach the ground so I recently sold it. I loved the 1500 miles in the twisties I just didn't feel safe at slow speeds and always almost toppled over when parking. I have almost pulled the trigger on a 2016 959. The seat is far more narrow than the V4 due to the frame so my short little legs (28" inseam) can manage the bike easier. The 959 has low mileage and it's almost bone stock other than the tail tidy. Is there anything I should look out for? I plan to drop it down an inch when I get it. I need frame sliders and a lower kick stand or someone with a tig welder ha ha. Will the 959 cook/melt the inside of my leg as much as the V4? Is there a heat shield/solution for it? (don't say ride faster...you can see what I ride, I'm not a slow poke). Is the quick shifter both up and down? What other fun toys does the 959 have? What nasty little things will be hiding that I should look for that are typically hidden cosmetic or otherwise on a test ride? The pictures I have seen look like the there are 2" chicken strips so I'm thinking that's either been lightly ridden or just deceptive. Tell me all that I need to know please and thank you very much!!!! I love honest experts on the forums. I can't wait for the feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey June. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. I also purchased a 2017 last year, so too am new on the bike as in winter I cannot ride due to snow and salt on roads. That being said, for frame sliders you can go with brands like AELLA, R&G or T-REX racing. They are one of the best in the business. The 959 does get hot and there are heat shield options you can install under the seat and near the exhaust. It probably won't get as hot as the V4. Here are some ideas for you below. That being said, try it out first and see how hot it gets and take it from there.

I also installed R&G radiator guards and throttle spacers on mine along with Lightech axel sliders. The 959 only has an upper quick shift. I has the usual wet, sport and race settings like the V4 or the V2. No LED headlights in the 959. You will have to install hyper whites or LED conversion kit bulbs if you like. That being said, it's an amazing bike and I love riding it. I did some modes like tail tidy, installed Competition Werkes integrated tail light. Waiting on NRC plate bracket and rear seat cowl fairings to arrive, so I can install my carbon fibre cowl. Attached a pic of my bike.

As far as any nasty things that could be hidden, that is hard to say as it all comes down to how it was maintained by the previous owner. One indication would be if the clutch and brake reservoirs have dirty oil and chain maintenance is neglected, then it could be an indication that the owner only rode it and maintained it less or also the bike sat most of the time in the garage. You seem to be an experienced rider, so I am sure you will do fine in spotting anything outside the obvious. Hope my two cents helps you out in someway and all the best in your purchase.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the parts list! I plan to get the trex no cuts as my friend has them on her bike and they look great. Does the heat shield actually do anything? I have no nuts lol. I just don't want to ride in my leathers all summer. I have some great kevlar jeans with ce knees and hips, but my V4 literally gave me 3rd degree burn on the inside on my thigh last summer when we rode all the favorite canyons of a friend who passed. It was his memorial ride so we rode it his style, spirited! Side note, I'm originally from Toronto. You need to come to Colorado and ride the canyons here. Where the heck do you get your lean on? The Don Valley Parkway?

#4 ·
You're welcome June. My name is Cyrus.
That's small world. Thanks for the invite. If I ever come to Colorado, I will for sure let you know as I do have family there as well. I am sorry to hear about your friend passing away. I won't be caught on the DVP much...Lol. I will take it to the track this year, but since I live in Stouffville (north of Markham), I usually ride north. Way better and nice open roads to open the throttle :)

Trex is good and quality is nice as well. I wear textile on the road myself. To be honest, I'd say when you get the bike, try it out and see how you cope with the heat. If it burns you, then I guess you can try the heat shield. With my Dainese Cordura & Kevlar pants, I don't feel any sort of burn. My nuts seem to remain cool...LOL

Now I have installed just a bit of heat shield under my seat after I got a custom job done by Luimoto in BC. Maybe the gel insert in the seat helps with the heat too...not too sure but in my opinion again, try the bike out first and see if u need it.

#5 ·
thanks again, and when I get the bike on Thursday I'll have 2, so you can borrow one. Mine will be a bit smaller than your when you use it but you'll tough it out. Book a flight, have we ever got CANYONS to carve. Track days are fun, but 100's of miles of twisties with views forever makes for a wonderful day. I have family in Stouffville too. A sister in Port Elgin. Super small world.

#7 ·
Welcome June
I'd seriously consider replacing the OEM clutch cover with a glass cover. The 959 is so beautiful but the OEM clutch cover is butt ugly, IMHO. I went with the Ducabike set-up. You can see the 959 forum thread with before and after photos at Best place to buy clear clutch cover UK

In addition to the tail tidy, I used the Evotech version, I'd add Ducati Performance LED rear turn signals. Mine have been back ordered for the last 3 months and just arrived. I'll send a photo after I do the install.

I'd also replace the brake and clutch reservoirs, I used Rizoma, and get the throttle spacers to eliminate the play in the throttle.

Hope these thoughts help.
Greg

#8 ·
These are just cosmetic, are there any performance issues to look for? Coming off the V4 it's going to feel a little anemic. Is the Termi pipe worth a good boost or is it just about the sound? What about the mirrors/front signals? Do they snap off easily like the V4's if you bump into them? Those things were worse than dry twigs in the wind!

#9 ·
These are just cosmetic, are there any performance issues to look for? Coming off the V4 it's going to feel a little anemic. Is the Termi pipe worth a good boost or is it just about the sound?
I have installed this MWR filter and it runs much smoother and some gain in HP. The cooler the bike, the better it will perform. Nothing you do will give you the performance like the V4. You can also try installing a full Akrapovic exhaust also. Personally, you might have more fun with this bike on the twisties as you will be able to open her up more than the V4 as the power is more manageable. If I had a V4, I would use it more on a track and less on the road

#10 ·
Joyofriding, you should change your name to Joy of Shopping! This is awesome! Thank you for the shopping list!

The new to me 959 is safe and snug in my garage. I'm not sure if my Brutale has made friends with it yet. It's just going to have to get used to Puny's Pani 2.0! The MV Agusta had to get a bath. It was covered in residual MagChloride from old snow melt run off from a ride up to Estes Park. That white stuff on the sides of the tires is slippery and will kill ya! If anyone here isn't familiar with a Kendon trailer, I posted pics of mine. They're so light, easy to handle, and fold up so compact against the wall of the garage seen here in my pictures.

Attachments

#11 ·
LOL, my wife said the same thing to me one day about my name here, different minds think alike :)
Congratulations. So happy that all worked out for you. Bike look clean and your custom plate makes it look even special. I head of such trailers, but never seen one folded up. Very good to have. For now, my friend has one so it works out for me. My garage only has my bike, car and pressure washer system and a small shelf and nothing else. All else stays in the shed :)

#12 ·
Welcome to the AWS family and to the forum @PunyJuney ! The OEM mirrors suck and there's been countless posts about people looking to buy one side or the other - I never broke mine but did get rid of them when I installed my Rizoma's. The heat shield under the seat and side panels worked a little bit - will it make a drastic difference? I think not. The best thing you can do to the stock 959 to get the most out of it is install an engine management system that allows for a true AutoTune like the LogBox that Woolich Racing makes - along with a proper high-flow air filter and replace the stock exhaust. After that it's lighter wheels - carbon, mag or forged al - any will make tons of difference.
Enjoy the ride!

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome Dingo! I have got a set of bar end mirrors and block off turn signals now. I just have to tip over and snap off the oem version and I will install them LOL. I'm fiddling around with the spring to take off a bit of seat height, but it feels too stiff now. I'm short so I will likely order the lowering link and go that way. I'm going to put a 190/50 on the rear so that should help a millimeter or so once I shred a bit more of that diablo off. The weather in colorado has not been good for riding so I'm waiting for the canyon roads to melt and clear off. It's summer one day and winter the next at this time of year here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.