Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My names Ryan, I'm a new 959 Owner, purchased my girl about 3 months ago and I love her to death! Named the Bike Felica hahaha #byefelica (I name all my vehicles). Speaking of other vehicles, I currently also own a 2016 Dodge Durango, a crf-80, and an 02 Camaro SS (its not stock). I've been riding for about 5 years now and previously owned an 09 R6. I am a Marine Corps Vet, served four years as a tank crewman (yup, the thing with the big gun) and it was pretty awesome. Now I work for Triple A. In my spare time I love to RIDE (numero uno) snowboard, hike, go boating, go to the beach etc. I've taken a look around the forums and everyone seems really nice and personable, so I'm excited to get to know everyone and expand my love for riding even more.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ryan!

Reactions: foxriderry

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Welcome Ryan! And congrats on your 959. What mods do you have planned for it? And are you going to do any track days on it?

Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard, post up some pictures of your 959 and also thank you for your service.

Is the 959 stock?
Hey, sorry it took so long for me to respond. The bike was stock for all of about 2 hours haha (new record for me) as soon as she came home she got an NRC fender delete kit (which i think came out incredible, love the quality craftsmanship) and some ASV levers. I had the dealer install some R&G High impact sliders and most recently i installed frame spools, mirror delete kit with NRC block off plates, arrow bar end mirrors and throttle spacers went in there somewhere as well! Cant wait to save up enough for the termignoni forward exit exhaust, that thing looks incredible! gotta save up tho, or get in on a group buy if one comes around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Ryan! And congrats on your 959. What mods do you have planned for it? And are you going to do any track days on it?

Tony
Haven't done a track day on a bike yet, but I am DYING to give it a whirl. I actually just picked up a hitch mounted carrier for the bike because I don't have a trailer and I don't really wanna ride to the track. I also need some pants with sliders on them and then I think Ill be all set. Hoping to be out clicking lap times early next season. As much as i love the freedom of the road, I would really like to enjoy the safety of the track as I hone my skills more and more

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might be a great place to ask this super newb question but.... If i put Corse stickers on my bike am I a tool? Im not even sure what the Corse means (new Ducati owner here ... sorry guys). Anyway, these are the ones I found and really like. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
This might be a great place to ask this super newb question but.... If i put Corse stickers on my bike am I a tool? Im not even sure what the Corse means (new Ducati owner here ... sorry guys). Anyway, these are the ones I found and really like. What do you think?
Welcome!

Not at all, it's your bike and you should do as you please with what looks aesthetically attractive in your eyes. Ducati Corse is their sort of in-house racing division (the same way Scuderia Ferrari is to Ferrari) — they're responsible for MotoGP and World Superbike efforts, as well as component development for the high-end models (think Panigale R, Superleggera or that Desmosedici 16RR road-going bike of some 10 years back). Just like how Scuderia Ferrari is responsible for Formula 1, World Endurance Championship, Supercar cups and also fiddles with Ferrari's hardcore models: FXX, Enzo, LaFerrari to name a few.

Historically, the Ducati Corse decal has been applied from factory to the top-of-the-line or track versions of their Superbike division, but it has been a long popular tradition that these decals are trickled down onto base models as well (such as the 749 and 848 of the yesteryears) by owners who loved the look. It's all what is found in good taste, and while conceptually similar, certainly not as audacious-seeming as applying the cyan, dark blue and red tricolor decals to the sides of your non-M BMW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome!

Not at all, it's your bike and you should do as you please with what looks aesthetically attractive in your eyes. Ducati Corse is their sort of in-house racing division (the same way Scuderia Ferrari is to Ferrari) — they're responsible for MotoGP and World Superbike efforts, as well as component development for the high-end models (think Panigale R, Superleggera or that Desmosedici 16RR road-going bike of some 10 years back). Just like how Scuderia Ferrari is responsible for Formula 1, World Endurance Championship, Supercar cups and also fiddles with Ferrari's hardcore models: FXX, Enzo, LaFerrari to name a few.

Historically, the Ducati Corse decal has been applied from factory to the top-of-the-line or track versions of their Superbike division, but it has been a long popular tradition that these decals are trickled down onto base models as well (such as the 749 and 848 of the yesteryears) by owners who loved the look. It's all what is found in good taste, and while conceptually similar, certainly not as audacious-seeming as applying the cyan, dark blue and red tricolor decals to the sides of your non-M BMW.
I seriously could not have asked for a better description of anything in my life! Thank you so much for clarifying all that. I assumed it was their high end division, but you know what they say about people who assume. I think ill pull the trigger with the decals. I really think the black decals will make the red on my bike "pop". Ill certainly update with pictures once this event takes place!

·
Registered
118 Posts

Congrats on the bike! Where did you find these decals? I loved seeing them on a 1199 R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I seriously could not have asked for a better description of anything in my life! Thank you so much for clarifying all that. I assumed it was their high end division, but you know what they say about people who assume. I think ill pull the trigger with the decals. I really think the black decals will make the red on my bike "pop". Ill certainly update with pictures once this event takes place!
Anytime; glad you found that helpful! Historically it's been the red top-of-the-line bikes that get a white Corse decal lettering and the black Corse decal is reserved for their yellow high-end bikes, but you going for a different look will certainly make your bike standout.

Nice to catch you on here; I've found your posts over on the 899 forum tremendously insightful and practical for a long while.

Welcome and Congrats! I am picking up mine tomorrow :)
Congrats on taking delivery soon, @aayp! Wow, surprised at the number of R3 > 959 riders (@msdss, @absessive and yourself included too, of course).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anytime; glad you found that helpful! Historically it's been the red top-of-the-line bikes that get a white Corse decal lettering and the black Corse decal is reserved for their yellow high-end bikes, but you going for a different look will certainly make your bike standout.

Nice to catch you on here; I've found your posts over on the 899 forum tremendously insightful and practical for a long while.

Congrats on taking delivery soon, @aayp! Wow, surprised at the number of R3 > 959 riders (@msdss, @absessive and yourself included too, of course).

Yeah! Got a countdown on my phone . And you're right.. lots of them making the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Haven't done a track day on a bike yet, but I am DYING to give it a whirl. I actually just picked up a hitch mounted carrier for the bike because I don't have a trailer and I don't really wanna ride to the track. I also need some pants with sliders on them and then I think Ill be all set. Hoping to be out clicking lap times early next season. As much as i love the freedom of the road, I would really like to enjoy the safety of the track as I hone my skills more and more
Did you get the SMC-600R? If so, I had to try a few different positions before getting the chock correct on it. In the first position, the back part of it was under the fairing (rather than against the back of the front wheel). I can explain more and add pictures if this is the one that you have. The first track day that I had with it, I used a canyon dancer to secure the front and ratchet straps for the rear. But then I bought 2 of the Tyre fix straps that are shown in this video:
https://youtu.be/OE8s_G_SqWA?t=1m3s
The tyre fix straps might be a little bit of overkill, but I feel so much more comfortable with them on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you get the SMC-600R? If so, I had to try a few different positions before getting the chock correct on it. In the first position, the back part of it was under the fairing (rather than against the back of the front wheel). I can explain more and add pictures if this is the one that you have. The first track day that I had with it, I used a canyon dancer to secure the front and ratchet straps for the rear. But then I bought 2 of the Tyre fix straps that are shown in this video:
https://youtu.be/OE8s_G_SqWA?t=1m3s
The tyre fix straps might be a little bit of overkill, but I feel so much more comfortable with them on.
Hey I watched that exact video! That was the inspiration for going the hitch carrier route vs. the trailer route. I did order the SMC-600R, but I haven't received it yet. I don't think the tyre straps are overkill. Granted I've yet to haul this bike around on any carrier or trailer, but the last time I did haul a bike was on a trailer and it was my R6 and it almost fell over on the way home. I wont be taking any such shortcuts with my Duc. Plus, the straps hold the tires, therefore you don't have to worry about suspension eating up any of the slack, so to me (even though they're very expensive) Ill be picking up a set one the carrier gets here, as well as a few other straps just to be safe. Where'd you get yours? Yeah if you have pictures of where you put the chock that would be great, should save me some tinkering for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts