Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently bought the beautiful white 959 panigale and I'm looking for a bit of advice. Generic information that may help : I love in England, won't be taking the bike round the track for a while, used for commuting and social use.

When the bike was delivered to me I was advised to get a trickle charger to use with it. Is this something you guys would recommend getting? If so is there a specific voltage that I should be looking for?

I was also wondering if there are any other accessories that people have bought and would recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, I strongly recommend getting a trickle charger. It's especially useful when you have to put the bike away for longer than a couple of weeks. I live in an area with long winters and I've left the charger on the bike for months at a time. It keeps the battery healthy and helps me start the riding season without battery issues.

You should be using a 12V one. The one I use is:
https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-mus-4-3-test-and-charge

My dealer installed a quick connect so I needed to get this accessory:
https://smartercharger.com/collections/accessories/products/ctek-comfort-indicator-pigtail

·
Registered
439 Posts
Consider getting a radiator guard... Evotech make one that is easy to install and a great fit.

Be wary of immediately installing the throttle spacers. I don't like them myself, but they are likely going to be recommended to you repeatedly. Get used to the slop in the throttle and the response of the engine in sport and race mode before you consider them. then you can decide for yourself if you prefer how it responds.

I installed a Lithium Ion battery right off the bat on both my Panigale and RR. Haven't needed to trickle charge in 5 years and they weight a fraction of the stock Yuasa. Plus they provide more CCA.

Progrip 717 make the grips for the Superleggera and feel better in the hand than the thin stock grips.

I could go on about the levers, rearsets, &c. but you will need to get on it and get a sense of what your priorities are first.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I concur with what the guys wrote.
If you ride year round you may not need a battery tender. But if you don't, you absolutely need one unless you have a Lithium battery. In Canada, It's a must regardless.
Like Sinjin said, ride the bike for awhile to familiarize yourself with it. (+1 for a rad guard)

I'm not going to discuss bling but here's some of the performance mods I've done grouped in relative order of importance for me:

Pazzo Short Folding Levers
Ducati Performance Racing Seat
Throttle spacers
SUPERLITE 520 Pitch Chromoly Steel Front Race Sprocket 14T (-1F)

RapidBike EVO Fuel Controller
Exhaust valve disabled and servo removed
Sprint High Flow Air Filter

AntiGravity YT7B Lithium Battery 320 Cranking Amps

Edit:
Do get quality front and rear stands.
A 30mm 6-pts socket for the front.
A 36mm 12-pts socket for the rear.
Torque wrench

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my experience I find you definitely need the trickle charger, the pani has parasitic drain and is hard on batteries. Get a trickle charger that will do both lithium and lead acid. If you get a lithium battery dont get the antigravity with the restart feature, it gets too hot and will shut your bike down, ( i speak from experience ). Supposedly the antigravity without the restart feature is good to go. ( I do live in the desert and it gets hotter than he## here, im sure that plays a role )
Mods: As stated above the pro grip 717 grips are awesome, huge improvement at little cost. I’m also a big fan of the throttle spacers, huge difference, HUGE! Especially at low speed maneuvering, u-turns etc. I haven’t noticed any downsides to the spacers and they are inexpensive and easy to install. I put 3,000 miles on my 959 without them then decided to give them a try for the heck of it. I should have done it sooner. Grips and throttle spacers are huge gains at little cost, some accessories get quite spendy, exhaust comes to mind.

ETA: radiator guards are important as well, cheap insurance for a potentially very expensive repair.
Heres what I have done mod wise:
NRC tail tidy ( should have went with moto box )
Seat cowl
Carbon heal guards ( not necessary )
Rizoma fuel cap
Rizoma reservoirs ( not necessary at all )
Racing wind screen
Akropvic/Ducati slip on with up map ( ridiculously expensive but improves the bike for sure )
ASV shorty levers ( love em )
Radiator guards
Progrip 717
Throttle spacers
And I think thats it for now, i do want tank grips so thats next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts