Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my Monster 1200S, as I wanted one last sportbike before I decide to hang it up and go naked or sport touring for the rest of my riding career.

I just ordered the DP Comfort Seat from Amazon Prime, that will be here tomorrow. Also ordered a 14t front sprocket, and depending on how much of as PITA it is to install, I will toss that on as well. I think I have done the 14t on 6 or 7 of my Ducs so far... I think the Hyper 1100 was the only one that felt like it was "geared right" from the factory. The rest, including the 1198, felt way better at lower speeds and in parking lots with the -1 front, so I assumed that this would as well. Also being a bigger guy(6'3" and 250lbs), I figured I could use some extra drive to compensate for my bulk. It's faster and cheaper than dieting. :)

Anyway, those two things should make for nice mods. I don't plan to do exhaust quite yet, I am gonna wait and see what Mark at The Ducshop recommends for a cheaper slipon and tuning and ride over there and let him work his magic, probably later this summer.

Stock rearsets feel fine. This is a street bike that will see the occasional local track day(Road Atlanta, Barber, Tally, maybe NCM), but 98% street. If there are some other mods to help comfort without radically reducing the sporty handling, what are my options?

I installed a set of Helibars to my GSX-R750 and they were perfect. Made the bike way more comfy on my wrists and back, and didn't change how the bike felt on the track or in the twisties. Maybe if I was Dovi I would have felt it, but to me it was great.

Is there such an option for the Panigale? My concern is that there is so little room behind the windscreen area, that you can't really move the clipons much without smacking into something. Thoughts?

For the tail tidy I will probably just remove the stalk, install two small sturdy black "L" brackets to mount the plate, and install some LED pods or adhesive backed LED strips strategically on the tail, make it nice and clean.

Any other simple to do mods, feel free to pass them along.

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No suggestions for more comfortable clipons?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd say just embrace the body position and ergonomics if you're going to move onto a more ergo-friendly bike later. The Panigale isn't supposed to be as comfortable as other upright bikes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to be comfortable. I, along with many others, have no issues with wrist pain because we make the conscious effort to keep light on the bars and stabilize with our core/legs.

I posted this on another thread exactly like this one:

Wrist pain is mostly from the ergonomics of how you support yourself. Any other sport bike (eg. Daytona 675, R6, 1299, GSXRs) is going to give you similar wrist pains unless you fundamentally change how you use the handlebars (ie. use them to handle the bike vs. supporting your weight). In line with what @Dingo and @clawdog79 have recommended, a monster (or any other standard, upright seating bike) is going to be loads more comfortable.

If you're really want to mod Panigale for more comfort, you can do what @Flowbrook did (see post) and put on some Motacc handlebars to bring the bars upward and backward.
Not quite a more ergonomic clip-on, but handlebar with a riser is probably the closest that someone here has done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say just embrace the body position and ergonomics if you're going to move onto a more ergo-friendly bike later. The Panigale isn't supposed to be as comfortable as other upright bikes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to be comfortable. I, along with many others, have no issues with wrist pain because we make the conscious effort to keep light on the bars and stabilize with our core/legs.

I posted this on another thread exactly like this one:

Not quite a more ergonomic clip-on, but handlebar with a riser is probably the closest that someone here has done.
I had the same comfort issues with the GSXR. I know, it's a race bike, they aren't built with comfort in mind. That said, things like rearsets, a seat and new clipons can really make them good daily drivers, without really hurting performance. Sure, if I was Dovi at a race pace, the more comfy ergos might work against me, but I am not. The Helibars on the GSXR moved the clipons 2" higher, 1" back and were 1" wider than stock. A significant change. To look at them, they looked stock unless you had a stock bike side by side. In the Mtns or the track, no adverse effect on handling. It was $300 well spent.

That's what I am looking for on this bike. I did the DP Comfort seat, and my next mods are:

-1 front sprocket
Tuneboy flash and dyno mapped by Ducshop
Auto-Blip added
Heatshield kit
Throttle spacers
tail tidy

And most importantly, bars, if I can find a set.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here are some modifications I’ve done and that you might want to consider [all mod pictures below]-

CRG Levers- stock looks bad in my opinion and these look great and are easier to pull in

Radiator cover- bike gets hot as we all know and rocks in your radiator will ruin it

Progrips- stock grips are harder
Billet bar ends- just since it’s 50 bucks and looks cool

DP Reservoirs- I can’t stand looking at the ugly yellow liquid so this fixes that problem

Limited Competition werks FE- I tried the NRC eliminator from Amazon but it didn’t fit, not sure why but it might be since mine is 2018. SO I ended up doing competition werks and wired it with a strip light from revzilla to make it brighter.

comfort seat+ seat cover- $500 seat in all but it looks amazing and feels great. Don’t hate the luimoto seat cover till you sit on it 😛

Heat shield and throttle fix- throttle was super easy but the heat shield is a pain in my donkey.

White lights- $30 on amazon and WOW please do yourself and do this mod. There is a video on YouTube on how to do it. It looks so much better

White reflective tape- I did this since the yellow reflective pad on the front suspection is ugly. Just rip that pad off since it’s just sticking on by some 3m tape. Then slap on some white reflective to take its place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool.

So far I installed a +2 rear sprocket and gold chain, and I ordered the throttle spacers, but got impatient waiting on them to arrive and so I just built my own in about 10 min with a zip tie and gorilla glue epoxy. No slack now, totally eliminated.

I will probably remove the tail, and then get a black "L" bracket or two from Home Depot and make a new plate mount under the tail and ditch the stalk, and get those adhesive backed LED strips for turn signals, like what you have shown.

Gonna keep the stock exhaust for now, it sounds fine, and spending $1500 minimum, for slipons that give almost zero power gains, isn't worth it to me. I will have the ECU flashed and dyno tuned at The Ducshop and pick up power and smoothness that way, for a lot cheaper.

The stock bulbs are interesting... so they are yellowish? Never looked, but if dropping in a set of Silverstar Ultra's from Auto Zone makes a difference, game on.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just made a tail tidy in the garage. Cost: $25. Used parts from the original stalk, some "L" brackets I had laying around, nuts and bolts from my parts bin, and now I just need to drive over to Auto Zone for some of those LED strips for the signals, and pick up a set of super white H11 bulbs. Pics to follow

·
Registered
110 Posts
I, along with many others, have no issues with wrist pain because we make the conscious effort to keep light on the bars and stabilize with our core/legs.
Definitely this

Here are some modifications I’ve done and that you might want to consider [all mod pictures below]-

White lights- $30 on amazon and WOW please do yourself and do this mod. There is a video on YouTube on how to do it. It looks so much better

White reflective tape- I did this since the yellow reflective pad on the front suspection is ugly. Just rip that pad off since it’s just sticking on by some 3m tape. Then slap on some white reflective to take its place.
The bulbs are literally the best bang for your buck cosmetic upgrade on the 959 IMO

Great Idea on the reflective tape, ill be doing that myself soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tail cleaned up, installed some temporary LED strip lights to the tail until I come up with something better.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/custom-dynamics-magic-spots-lights
As you can see in the picture i posted of the tail tidy above, i wired these to the existing fender eliminator lights and faced them backwards toward anyone behind me. They are very bright. I think they would do fine on their own if you just want a water resistant LED thats bright to use for turn signals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put on some Rizoma rearsets after missing a few shifts while zooming around (I`m 6`1) worked great at the track, added adjustable clutch and brake levers from motomillion, a Ducati race seat, some neoprene black stuff to grip your tank with your knees, and Olin's adjustable steering damper (group buy with the studs here ) Don`t get sore wrists anymore. Bought a an used exhaust from ebay gutted it and just put it on a few days ago will install rapid bike and sprint air filter shortly. Like the way it sounds and maybe will get a few more horses. Have some Oz gas rims coming shortly to. Good luck with yours mods, love riding my bike. All the advice I have received here about mods has been great.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put on some Rizoma rearsets after missing a few shifts while zooming around (I`m 6`1) worked great at the track, added adjustable clutch and brake levers from motomillion, a Ducati race seat, some neoprene black stuff to grip your tank with your knees, and Olin's adjustable steering damper (group buy with the studs here ) Don`t get sore wrists anymore. Bought a an used exhaust from ebay gutted it and just put it on a few days ago will install rapid bike and sprint air filter shortly. Like the way it sounds and maybe will get a few more horses. Have some Oz gas rims coming shortly to. Good luck with yours mods, love riding my bike. All the advice I have received here about mods has been great.
What is it about the Sprint air filter that makes it cost so much? Is it really 3x better than a BMC?

To gut the stock exhaust requires some hefty tools and a welder, I assume?

My 1198 I was able to gut the cans, install 2.25" diameter perforated tubes and wrap them with muffler baffling material and rivet back together.

I would not expect this bike to he so easy.

·
Registered
439 Posts
3 times? I assume you are referring either to the P08 in carbon fiber or the P16 racing air filter... both priced around the same amount at ~$350?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dunno, I just saw one on a website and it was over $300 while the BMC was like $80.

Why does one need carbon fiber for an air filter? Safe that precious 1.3 ounces? People are crazy... lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought the cheaper sprint filter was around $100 from moto million. Had one of those multi tools they advertise tv for home renovations,sucked at work but cut the cans open nicely with metal cutting blade. Gutted the cans with chisel and hammer,got some stainless sheet metal from my sheet metal man, made some paper patterns and cut out the sheet metal. Welder buddy zapped them together. Sounds a little tinney in the garage, but when you roll on the gas yowza. Still have to install rapid bike. Will post a few pics when done. Also for the sore wrists I rolled clutch and brake levers as far forward as I could.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts