Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting one of the Repsol SPs for some time now and finally pulled the trigger last week. It's loaded up with Brembo M4 brakes, Ohlins TTX36 rear shock, Ohlins NIX 30 forks, Pirelli Super Corsa SP tires and a blueprinted and balanced engine. It's not the fastest bike I've ever owned but I'll have to say it's certainly the sweetest, very plush suspension and satin smooth manners. A good stablemate for my 959.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Looks Great!! What’s something like that cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good thing that's not one of the new ones with all of the transmission problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Been wanting one of the Repsol SPs for some time now and finally pulled the trigger last week. It's loaded up with Brembo M4 brakes, Ohlins TTX36 rear shock, Ohlins NIX 30 forks, Pirelli Super Corsa SP tires and a blueprinted and balanced engine. It's not the fastest bike I've ever owned but I'll have to say it's certainly the sweetest, very plush suspension and satin smooth manners. A good stablemate for my 959.

Congrats! Time to add to the forum signature.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks Great!! What’s something like that cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingo, MSRP was $17,299 but I was able to negotiate a nice discount, paid almost exactly the same OTD as I paid for my 959, so not too bad.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Uy, very nice. Wish you many years of fun.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Nice, @Kruz! A friend of mine bought one this past summer, but he hasn't ridden it yet. lol!

·
Registered
110 Posts
That thing is awesome. I've always loved Honda's and thought about one of those for a bit before deciding on the Duc.

Out of curiosity how would you compare the two?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing is awesome. I've always loved Honda's and thought about one of those for a bit before deciding on the Duc.

Out of curiosity how would you compare the two?

There is no comparing the two really, the approach of each is diametrically opposed but both get the job done effectively.

My 959 has gorgeous looks and amazing levels of detail but a few rough edges. The bike has a hard edge feel to it overall, suspension is stiff and unrelenting but rewards with stellar levels of grip and cornering confidence. The motor surges at lower rpms when hot and is a bit tricky when leaving a light, needs a smooth clutch release and a little gas or it bucks, just part of the Ducati owner experience. You have to ride the 959 the way it wants to be ridden, it feels like a race bike, you must come up to it's level or park it. It took me about 3500 miles to adapt to the 959 handling characteristics but now I can pretty much haul *** on it with confidence. It's not an in town bike for traffic or a long highway droner, you need to be on a mission with this machine.

If there is one word I would use to describe the Repsol SP it is "polished", as in ultra-refined. They took an already accomplished and well sorted platform and fine tuned and fettled it to near perfection. I have a '12 CBR1000RR and it is a good machine but everything on the SP just feels smoother.....better. The clutch take up, shifting, power delivery, vibration levels, brakes and suspension tuning are just awesome. The first time I rode it was on my favorite twisty back road and I immediately fell in love with it, like I hade been riding it for years. Would not touch a single suspension setting, they're on out-of-the-box settings so far and near perfect for me.

So in short, both bikes are equally quick and overall performance is comparable. I like both but for completely different reasons.:surprise:

Reactions: Aldo and Dingo

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one more machine on my wish list and that is the new V4 Panigale !

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, yeah. Just like the guy with the potato chip bag who say "I'll only have one more". Ha! >:)

Reactions: Dingo and Kev242

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is hard to say no with all the tantalizing choices out there .......

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is anybody looking at the bike? >:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is no comparing the two really, the approach of each is diametrically opposed but both get the job done effectively.:surprise:
My 2 cents, is that the Ducati invites (or you have to) to be more involved in everything, because it is designed to be a racing machine with lights, I have to be more attentive to everything I do, upshifting, the downshift, breaking, gas, etc. With my long gone BMWs and Hondas, I could ride wandering (if that is proper word) and arrive rested. The Ducatis, the 907 and 916, were very demanding, I find the 959 much more user friendly, but still have to be involved, like you said, just starting from a stop light, you have to be careful with the gas, and so on. But at the end, that is why I enjoyed the Ducatis more than any other bikes. You are part of the experience.
Not that the RR drives itself, bu guess overall is less demanding, right?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I must admit that it is tempting but I still prefer the look of the current Panigale twin.
That may change in time plus letting the new Panigale V4 mature a bit.
In the interim, I'll stick to the 959 for awhile yet.
One that note, I was riding it this afternoon in what I describe as "Getting a Thrill in the Chill".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts