Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, newbie to this forum anyway, but not Ducatis. If you've been on other Ducati forums you may have seen my username, I use it pretty much everywhere. Yep, same guy. And yes, I did name my dog Desmo. He's gone now but not forgotten, and the name lives on.

Back to Ducatis. I bought my first one in the spring of 1991 and have been riding them ever since. First one was a 907ie that I owned up until a few years ago. As far as Superbikes go, I bought a 996 Monoposto in 2000. It was the worst streetbike I ever owned, so I sold it 17 years later. In the meantime I also picked up a 1991 851 Strada, which I still have. There were other Ducatis along the way but now I'm down to the 851 and a Monster 1200S, and a couple single cylinder bevel project bikes. Plus an Aprilia RSV-R trackbike but don't hold that against me. I'm an admitted Ducati fanboy, the RSV purchase was just a weak moment. It doesn't mean anything to me, I swear. Just a cheap thrill... really...

Anywhos, after swearing off of Superbikes (see "Sold 996", above) I now find myself enamored with a 959 Corse. I've talked myself out of a 959 a couple times already but this time it just might stick, so I'm here checking things out. I'll hold off at least until the 2019 models are announced, but the lure of what I'm guessing may be the last V-twin superbike(?) is strong. If I do decide to go through with it, the Monster will have to go, which will leave me with only superbikes, which is STUPID with a capital S. But I don't ride much anymore anyway, so... we'll see.

And truth be told I kinda prefer aircooled Monsters over the 1200S anyway, so I could always add one of those at a later date. After my wife gets over the 959. ;-)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome! Great write-up!
I think you adding a 959 Corse may be a very similar situation to what you describe about the Monoposto you had... "...I bought a 996 Monoposto in 2000. It was the worst streetbike I ever owned, so I sold it 17 years later."

I know this isn't the motto, but it really does fit... 959 Panigale, there is no substitute!
;)

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Welcome!! Where in SE MI are you? We may know some of the same people. I'm originally from MI. Flint, Fenton, Rochester.... then to Dayton OH where I live now. Friends with the Ducati Detroit boys.

I will tell you, if you've not ridden anything in the Panigale line yet, you sure should! That will definitely clear up any doubts you may have. IMO, the Panigale's are Ducati's best super bike to date, with the 749, 999, running a close second. (handling wise)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys!

I'm in Dexter. Grew up in Minnesota (Hopkins/Minnetonka area) Spent some time in southern Indiana back in the '90s and moved here about 20 years ago.

I demo'd a 959 and a V4 at a Ducati Detroit track day (Grattan) earlier this year. Ended up riding one on one with an instructor who told me I was faster on the 959 everywhere but on the straights. Which isn't saying much... I'm not very fast on anything...

The main thing holding me back right now is memories of my 996. It was great when I was in the mood for it, but there were so many days when I'd head out to the garage with every intention of riding it, but then I'd take another bike instead... with a 959 (for the near term anyway) the only other choice I'd have would be an 851. Im not in love with my Monster but it works SO well in the real world. It'd be hard to give up.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Thanks, guys!

I'm in Dexter. Grew up in Minnesota (Hopkins/Minnetonka area) Spent some time in southern Indiana back in the '90s and moved here about 20 years ago.

I demo'd a 959 and a V4 at a Ducati Detroit track day (Grattan) earlier this year. Ended up riding one on one with an instructor who told me I was faster on the 959 everywhere but on the straights. Which isn't saying much... I'm not very fast on anything...

The main thing holding me back right now is memories of my 996. It was great when I was in the mood for it, but there were so many days when I'd head out to the garage with every intention of riding it, but then I'd take another bike instead... with a 959 (for the near term anyway) the only other choice I'd have would be an 851. Im not in love with my Monster but it works SO well in the real world. It'd be hard to give up.
Yes, Grattan is definitely a track for the smaller bikes. I used to ride there a lot back in 2004-2008. Now I live much closer to Putnam Park and Mid-Ohio which are much nicer tracks IMO.

The old style superbikes (916-996-998) had such a different feel than the current Panigale line. Very extreme riding position, feel, etc. Although, IMO, all super bikes suck for around town / city riding. lol!

What ever you do, keep the Monster as well!! haha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts