Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As things go, they're little ones. I'm one outing from the breakin mileage, and I will say this: the 959 is AMAZING in the bends. It is, however, APPALLING on the freeway. Suspension is just way too stiff for droning at one speed over rough roads. You feel every little bump/crack/hole. The freeways around Seattle are notoriously bad. Is there any solution other than to pack a screwdriver and dial everything down to super-squishy, then dial back up when you've reached the playground?

The nits:
1. There is a seam lip on the inside of my left boot that just, JUST hooks the left boot guard when I'm trying to get the sidestand down with my toe. The only way I can put it down is do a left leg contortion that takes several tries. Arghh. I may have to remove that boot guard.

2. The front of the nice shiny triple clamp reflects right in the middle of the instrument screen when there's any sun shining. Right across the middle of the speedo reading. It's hard to tell if I'm going 60 or 80. Anybody else notice this? I think the only way to kill the reflection is to put a piece of tape over it or something.

Anyway, other than those two nits, I'm very happy with the bike. I've had several different sportbikes over the years, but never a "superbike". So far the 959 is an epiphany. I still have to put my fender kit on. And I definitely need to get this bike to the track.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the team! I totally agree that riding the highway is a mess - what you described is about the only way to go about it!

1- The only thing that has allowed me to put the kickstand down in one try was to take my time doing it, without a care in the world for anything else going on around me. I can hook it with my toe or heel of my Alpinestars SMX-1R boots. Take your time, get a good footing with your right foot, hold the front brake and get'r done!
2- I hardly ever look at the dash. I've gotten used to the sound of the motor to know when I'm reaching redline, always know which gear I'm in and how fast I can go in that gear (within reason). I look at the temperature of the bike and OAT and the time, that's about all.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's the rub with supersports, you want performance you gotta trade off some of the other comforts. If you could stand it, bringing a screw driver along doesn't seem that bad, but yep, its gonna be bad especially for roads with spacing that excite the natural frequency of the suspension - you can't do anything about that.

Yeah pretty much for the kickstand, put your foot behind the foot peg and get your toe to bring the stand down. No problems with my TCX S-Speed boots.

There's some matte anti-glare protectors that can help you with the glare. I think @avigil had those on his bike (#RIP). I've never had problems with glare, my only gripe has been that I wish the shift indicators were brighter.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
There's some matte anti-glare protectors that can help you with the glare. I think @avigil had those on his bike (#RIP). I've never had problems with glare, my only gripe has been that I wish the shift indicators were brighter.
Not so fast. I'm repairing my 959!!! It's zombie back from the dead bike!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts