Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Similar google action I had this weekend, just took my rims off for a dealer tire swap and spoke to my tech about the Nomar units, he had nothing but positive comments. Doesn't seem like too bad of an investment, would love to get the trailer hitch version and perhaps make a couple of $$ at the track to support my habit.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
They are definitely worth the money. Takes a sec to get the right feel down, but they work well.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Received the unit.

As of now, I do not recommend it if you need to mount tires on wheels that have a shallow drop center such as the rear BST carbon wheel. It may require a learning curve to perfect, but it took 3 men and way too much effort to mount a michelin tire on a rear BST carbon wheel.

For the almost $700 price tag after including the price of shipping and an extra clamp, I expected an easier to use tool even on the most difficult to mount wheels.

Other negatives include the footprint of the device which is significant, and it weighs 100 pounds. When not in use, I disassemble the unit into major substructures so that it does not hog too much garage space.

The rear BST wheel is the worst case scenario for tire mounting since there is no easy way to gain some tire bead slack by positioning it in a deep drop center while working the opposite side tire bead over the wheel rim. This potential issue of difficulty with shallow drop center wheels is mentioned in the installation videos, and they were not kidding.

I will report back after a few more tire changes, but for now, I would recommend going to the shop.

P.S. : Just spoke with the No Mar customer service and they told me that indeed, shallow drop center wheels such as the BST rear make it more difficult to mount a tire. Big time bummer.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This fellow installed the same tires I did using BST carbon wheels and seems to have had no problem at all, without even maneuvering the bead into the drop center!

Another installation makes it look so easy!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Forgive me if you posted this somewhere else, but why did you decide to make the investment for your own setup vs. sending it to a tire shop/vendor for fitting?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgive me if you posted this somewhere else, but why did you decide to make the investment for your own setup vs. sending it to a tire shop/vendor for fitting?
I am a do it yourselfer whenever possible, but mostly being able to change the tires at my convenience and save some time was key. I need to take at least an hour out of my day to get the tires mounted at a shop. That time is priceless to me.

I don't mind investing the time if I am doing it myself and developing some skills.

I have no doubt that with enough tire changes, I will become a pro.

My first impressions were all that the above post indicates.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I am a do it yourselfer whenever possible, but mostly being able to change the tires at my convenience and save some time was key. I need to take at least an hour out of my day to get the tires mounted at a shop. That time is priceless to me.

I don't mind investing the time if I am doing it myself and developing some skills.

I have no doubt that with enough tire changes, I will become a pro.

My first impressions were all that the above post indicates.
That is exactly what I was thinking @DJ Shrug ! But I'll take it one step further... Mounting the tire is only Half the procedure - now you have to balance it!!! Now take that brand new wheel to the shop to get it balanced!
>:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I LOVE the wheels!!! I just don't like the all White/Black look.
It is a plain look for such an exotic bike. Kind of like an all white or all black sports car, but I actually am partial to it over the red wheels, so for me it is a win - win.

BST now makes their wheels in multiple colors. You can get them in red if you want.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
...BST now makes their wheels in multiple colors. You can get them in red if you want.
I saw those a couple months ago - they looked sweet, but I have my mind set on a pair of OZ - if I ever get around to buying them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finished product, pics attached. Torqued the rear axle to 150 nm (per BST website max allowed torque); a bit shy of the Ducati recommended 180nm.
Dam that is nice. I really like the black and white. The carbon adds to it even more imo. Beautiful mate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the review Pard, for me a tire swap is either a bike drop off or a wheel drop off and an hour ride each way plus the wait. Very interested to see if with some practice you overcome the issues you experienced or if it is just gonna suck.

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Pard have you messed around with your red rims? Wondering how much easier the stock rim was compared to the BSTs.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
@Pard have you messed around with your red rims? Wondering how much easier the stock rim was compared to the BSTs.
No difference really. It's more mental than anything. Just use plenty of lube, which always helps no matter what kind of wheel you have.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No difference really. It's more mental than anything. Just use plenty of lube, which always helps no matter what kind of wheel you have.
Indeed. I used liberal amounts of tire lube, but it still seems to be a bit of an art. I am sure it will become easier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts