Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these have been talked a good amount but I didn't want to trash someone else's post. This is just my personal opinions, others are certainly entitled to their own. (and sorry this is so long, verbosity comes naturally to me!)

For $120, I would have expected a significantly better product. Here is a detailed break down of my view of the failures:

No directions with product- there are instructions on their website (states for the 1199/899 only but they sell this product for the 959) but they are terrible- actually referenced pictures in steps that don't even show what the step is about. See here- step 5, picture 4: https://www.newragecycles.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/1199_899 Front Signals.pdf Not the end of the world, its pretty straight forward.

The lights are not bright and are yellow. Others have stated how bright these are but I guess I disagree. I installed one and left the factory on the other side and checked them out, the factory is white light and MUCH MUCH brighter. Why is the material cloudy and not clear? Appears to be an acrylic that has been machined, why is it machined? Is it made oversized? Why? And then why not polish it back out?

Making this worse is the fact that the light all faces what is basically the wrong direction. The light actually wraps two sides of the plate but both sides face inward which frankly doesn't make much sense to me. I actually had to run back inside and check some pics online to ensure I had them correct as it just seemed backwards.

Also, the screws are TINY, for what reason? I was using the correct tools (The required tools are not listed anywhere, nor in this case is the size of the screw stated anywhere- turns out its a 1/16" as I recall, luckily the motoductchman video on youtube identified this) and I still managed to strip one of these tiny screw heads as it takes a good amount of torque to get it through the nylon lock nut. This begs another issue that I found on their other product as well... the entire bike has metric fasteners, why do you provide SAE fasteners with your products??? Do you realize how unhelpful this is? Very good likelihood for someone to stripe things trying to use the wrong tools.

The black screws included with the brushed aluminum plate look ridiculous, why would use provide black screws??? There are also like 1/4" longer than they need to be so they provide little foam, screw end covers, which are themselves, much too long.... seems incredibly dumb... why not just get a more appropriate screw. I have to imagine these things would eventually vibrate off anyways... why not just thread the actual block off and install screw and washer from underneath??? You know, like the factory did!

And finally for the last of the extremely poorly designed items, the wiring is WAY too long... wires come out of the "light block" and then is spliced to more wire that is then terminated with the appropriate connector. The wiring is at least 3 times, probably 4 times longer than factory. Again, why? Its incredibly unnecessary and even worse, there is no where to put it all... the very small groove in the bracket under the fairing will not hold all the wire, splice, and connector nicely. How hard would it to have been to just have the correct length of wire come out of the block and then terminate it with the correct connector?

I am going to email or call NRC tomorrow but am hoping to return them and just get some block off plates for less than half as much. I bought them at my dealership and unfortunately threw out the original packaging as I was leaving the dealership on the bike with just a small backpack and had several other items to carry... otherwise I would just take it back to the dealership.

I'm interested to hear if there are others out there that don't think this was a great product?? I think all of these items are really very straight forward and only take a small bit of common sense to address properly. The current product quality is more like a $20 product.

Frankly, I will write a review of the rear fender eliminator kit from them when I have some more time but likewise, don't have particularly kind things to say about it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I took one look at them online and came to the conclusion they were not well made, then looked at their other products and decided I wouldn't ever buy them

·
487 Posts
There are very mixed reviews of the NRC signals. I think some people expect a completely different product and that is understandable.

Signals are amber in color, because some jurisdictions require signals to be amber in color. Not sure if yours are working properly, but they are bright enough to be almost annoying.

The lens being machined is intentional and not made oversized and machined down, the material used is chosen because of the light emitting properties it has. I personally wouldn't want clear lensed signals because to me it looks tacky, reminds me of the Altezza tail light fad that took over the early 2000's, but again this is all personal preference, some people like the looks some people don't.

Some of their signals do have a rougher edge than others, and yes the finish on the metal could be better, but it isn't horrible to the degree in which would bother the average customer, but it would definitely be a no no for the OCD person. Knowing this, if I were to put it on my bike, I'd look up a batch of them and chose the one with the better metal finish.

They do lack instructions as you said, and NRC should really get on that since, some products have instructions and some don't but if you search youtube, there are great instructional videos which are way better than any paper instruction that comes with any sort of product.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The lights are not bright and are yellow. Others have stated how bright these are but I guess I disagree. I installed one and left the factory on the other side and checked them out, the factory is white light and MUCH MUCH brighter.
I just installed mine the other day. I took a side-by-side photo for comparison between the two at night (see attached). I'd say my biggest gripe is the cable length; stuffing in the wires under the fairings was awkward.

The lens being machined is intentional and not made oversized and machined down, the material used is chosen because of the light emitting properties it has. I personally wouldn't want clear lensed signals because to me it looks tacky, reminds me of the Altezza tail light fad that took over the early 2000's, but again this is all personal preference, some people like the looks some people don't.
I was considering on sanding/polishing the acrylic up on them, but I thought if they were clear, they'd look tacky as well and might not disperse the light as well (diffusive lamp vs pointed flashlight).

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@DJ Shrug - looks like the stock have a higher intensity, based on your pic
I sat on the bike and looked at my garage wall with each light on and the stock signals cast a great deal more light. It wasn't even close.

I really hate the black screws on the polished plate... just seems lazy of NRC to not source a more appropriate fastener.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts