Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate when this happens, my rear Corsa Rosso 180/60 ZR-17 is smoked and I can no longer find this tire available on line. Apparently now out of production.

I really like this tire, sticks great and gets OK mileage and don't want to try the Corsa Rosso II or III as I have heard they are not as good.

My favorite sportbike tires for road use are the Bridgestone RS-10s but not available in the 60 aspect ratio unfortunately.

I'm thinking of trying the Pirelli Super Corsa SP V2 but they are pricey and have a very short fuse on the rear, just over 1000 miles on the last one I tried.

What are you guys running?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Running the SC's and though I love them dearly the road just seems to chew them up. From discussions I've had with my tech and other vendors they do not respond well to multiple heat cycles. Using tire warmers at the track really extended their life but totally irrelevant if you are just hitting the street. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey Kruz,

Merry Christmas...

I switched to the Supercorsa on my 899 when I changed my wheels to the Rotobox. I used to buy them a couple sets at a time for my Panigale and RR every time Rider's Discount ran a special, but would order them from rockymountainatvmc.com if I needed a quick replacement.

Rider's Discount is shutting their doors and Rocky Mountain is closing out the Corsa Rosso as you indicated and are out of stock.

Personally, I get slightly more miles from my rear than you, but I have further to ride before letting loose on the throttle!

Take care and I hope you are able to take advantage of these unseasonably and relatively warmer afternoons.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Michelin Power RS all. day. long.

I don't want to gush too much over these and risk becoming a zealot, but they are awesome. Significantly stickier than the stock corsa's and significantly longer life. I would highly recommend. I know there are a couple other guys here running them as well that have good things to say. I know @Pard for sure.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Michelin Power RS all. day. long.

I don't want to gush too much over these and risk becoming a zealot, but they are awesome. Significantly stickier than the stock corsa's and significantly longer life. I would highly recommend. I know there are a couple other guys here running them as well that have good things to say. I know @Pard for sure.
In a side by side comparison, I would pick the Michelin RS for spirited street riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I hate when this happens, my rear Corsa Rosso 180/60 ZR-17 is smoked and I can no longer find this tire available on line. Apparently now out of production.

I really like this tire, sticks great and gets OK mileage and don't want to try the Corsa Rosso II or III as I have heard they are not as good.

My favorite sportbike tires for road use are the Bridgestone RS-10s but not available in the 60 aspect ratio unfortunately.

I'm thinking of trying the Pirelli Super Corsa SP V2 but they are pricey and have a very short fuse on the rear, just over 1000 miles on the last one I tried.

What are you guys running?
Hi Kruz,
Seriously, just get SC's. They last as long and much stickier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can always run a 190/55, also. I've run more Super Corsas than any other just because I was getting race take offs :wink2:

I get 5-6,000 miles out of a Super Corsa, though (even when bought new).

I liked the Power RS. I hated the Rosso II. Rear had great life (8k+), but the front was completely slippery for some reason.

If it were me (and it will be soon), I plan on giving either the Rosso III or Rosso Corsa II a try.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your inputs, I ordered the Pirelli Super Corsa SP V2 and will see how they last.

XCLR8TN, that is an intriguing idea to try a 190/55, that might have a similar ride height to the 180/60 on the stock rims.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You'll get more mileage out of the SC on the 959 than you would on a bigger bike.
My 1200 Monster chewed right through the rear in no time. Not so with the smaller Panigale.
You'll enjoy them for sure on the Panigale 959.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Lucky for me I still have two brand new OEM rears in the garage.

It will be interesting to see the difference in tire life between the two, @Kruz. The SC is basically a DOT slick, so it would make sense that they may cold-tear without warmers as @Kev242 mentioned above. I ran one track day with the SC's that came on the 1199, and they didn't fair well even with warmers. But that was with the 1199, and not the 959. Ended up selling them as take-offs to my buddy for street use on his MV F4. I recall he got pretty decent mileage out of them. I would also imagine there will be a little less wet grip with the SC's over the Rosso's.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What @dougo1199 wrote about the cold tear may not necessarily translate to the same on the street.
1) The 959 has less torque than the 1199
2) the street has no track marshal saying: "go,go,go", thus you'll get to warm them up more slowly as opposed to the track.

Honestly, we're not talking about big bucks in price difference. Give them a boo and if you don't like them, revert back to the new RC2's after 5,000kms.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First off the DR III was one step below in performance to the DRC (OEM) and now the DRC II. It was intended for better wear and not really for track days. With that out of the way, the DRCII is a better tire than the OEM on the track, and not really noticeable otherwise on the street. My wear rates have been similar and consistent with the DRCII and my lap times improved. It also provides increased lean angles. As far as the SC, it will wear the same on the track but not on the street IMO (if you're getting heat in em).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try the Power RS or Dunlop Q4. I thought the stock tires sucked. I had the stock tires on my Street Triple R and didn't like them on that bike either.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lucky for me I still have two brand new OEM rears in the garage.

It will be interesting to see the difference in tire life between the two, @Kruz. The SC is basically a DOT slick, so it would make sense that they may cold-tear without warmers as @Kev242 mentioned above. I ran one track day with the SC's that came on the 1199, and they didn't fair well even with warmers. But that was with the 1199, and not the 959. Ended up selling them as take-offs to my buddy for street use on his MV F4. I recall he got pretty decent mileage out of them. I would also imagine there will be a little less wet grip with the SC's over the Rosso's.

Hi Doug, I'll let you know how the Super Corsas fair over the long haul on the 959. The OEM Super Corsa rear on my Repsol Honda SP has lasted about 1200 miles and has a few more miles left in it. Plan to switch over to Bridgestone RS-10s when I replace them. The front Super Corsa is still holding up OK, maybe another couple hundred miles.

Next time around I'm going to switch the 959 to all Bridgestone RS-10s, I have a new 190/55ZR-17 here to compare to the Super Corsa 180/60ZR-17 and they look to be nearly identical so I think I'll try that.

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
The Michelin performance / sport bike tires always seem to have more of a "V" shaped profile compared to Pirelli, Bridgestone, or Dunlop which have more of a "U" shaped profile. Not that one version is better per se, just different.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
What @dougo1199 wrote about the cold tear may not necessarily translate to the same on the street.
1) The 959 has less torque than the 1199
2) the street has no track marshal saying: "go,go,go", thus you'll get to warm them up more slowly as opposed to the track.

Honestly, we're not talking about big bucks in price difference. Give them a boo and if you don't like them, revert back to the new RC2's after 5,000kms.
Not to mention a track surface is typically much more aggressive than what you'll find on a public street or hwy.

Reactions: DarR

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Michelin performance / sport bike tires always seem to have more of a "V" shaped profile compared to Pirelli, Bridgestone, or Dunlop which have more of a "U" shaped profile. Not that one version is better per se, just different.

Agreed, I prefer the "U" to the "V" generally, the V's tend to tip in quicker but to me, not as stable so different strokes.

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Doug, I'll let you know how the Super Corsas fair over the long haul on the 959. The OEM Super Corsa rear on my Repsol Honda SP has lasted about 1200 miles and has a few more miles left in it.
I think you'll be pleased with the durability of the SuperCorsa's on the 959. I got more than twice the mileage from them on the 959 than I got for the same on the Monster 1200.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just saw this thread, and I am in a similar predicament:

I replaced my tires in 2017, keeping the OEM Rosso Corsas. Now, two years later, I will probably need to replace the rear soon. BUT the front is still good.

Since the Rosso Corsas are discontinued, would it be bad to change the rear to a v2 while keeping the front a v1?

The manual points out that certain riding modes are made for certain tires. (ie. supercorsas for RACE mode) So my concern is: if I get v2 in the back while keeping v1 in the front will it affect DTC/ABS/anything else? I am worried about how sensitive the bikes electronics are.

This is for an 899.

Also, a lot of you are mentioning Supercorsas. Are the Rosso Corsas v2 any good or worst than v1?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pirelli Supercorsa SP is a street tire (no warmers) focused on C,B to slow A group paced track days. Supercorsa SC is a dot race tire (warmers advised). Rosso Corsa II is a street tire that can do some track days at a B or C pace.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts