Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual doesn't really tell me anything. If it does, I missed it. All of the videos I've watched for the Panigale say it is about 3.5 Liters. But after putting 3.5 Liters in the bike, the oil level in the sight glass is completely full.

I ran the bike for a few minutes to let the oil soak into the filter, and while the bike is running the site glass is just a bit under the high mark, but as soon as I shut the bike off, it gradually goes back to being completely full. This is with the bike on front/rear stands, so there are no lean angles in the equation.

Should I be checking the site glass with the bike cold, and leaning? Cold and upright? Warm and leaning? Warm and upright? I'm not really sure, so here I am...

I need to make sure I put in the right amount before I go ride it and **** something up that I can't afford to fix.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Owners manual page 256: 1 gallon of oil

Page 242 of the owners manual:

"Oil level must be checked with the motorcycle perfectly upright and the engine cold. Oil level should be between the marks on the sight glass."

Make sure the bike is level both fore and aft and side to side. Check the oil with the motor off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed oil from Ducati dealer just a day before and here's what I observed:

- Used total 4 cans of 1L Each (Shell 15W50: http://www.autonewspress.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Shell-Advance-Ultra-15W-50_Limited-Edition-Butterfly-Pack.jpg)
- The engineer soaked the new oil filter in the oil from the first can for 10 min in a separate vessel.
- He then filled total 3 cans, 1L each (including the first can in which he soaked the filter)
- Started the bike and let it idle for about 5 min
- Filled another .7L from the fourth can

So a total of 3.7L got used.

·
Registered
892 Posts
3.7L is exactly the number stated in the workshop manual. See attached image found on page 48 of the workshop manual posted on this site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I used 3.5 liters on mine, just below the upper mark ten minutes after shutdown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did an oil change a few days ago. I used a measuring cup this time. l ended up using 3.5L to get it right in the middle in the window.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My owners manual is calling for 1 Gallon of 15W-50. That comes to 3.7L.

What oil brand do people use typically? I'm partial to either LiquiMoly or Motul for the car and bike respectively. Does everyone use the Shell?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
3 fluid changes and not used Shell for any of them, Motul was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am on my 3rd oil change for my bike with 3125 Miles on my bike.
I last changed my oil at 1900 miles and did oil and filter.
Since then the bike has seen 8 track days.
This time I only did oil, no filter.
I used Silkolene Pro 4 15w-50 - 3L was sufficient to bring it to the middle of the sight glass.
I let the oil drain from the bike for about 1 HR.
I plan on doing the next oil change at the 4,000 mile mark and will do oil and filter this time. The bike will have seen another 6 track days by then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Find this thread interesting - I have the 959 corse.

Workshop manual says 3.7l of oil
Bike user manual says 3.7l of oil

So soaked the new filter in new oil for 10mins, warmed the bike, removed the plug, drained the oil fully. Removed the oil filter cap, changed the filter. Put everything back together, torqued all the bolts correctly.

Carefully measured exactly 3.7l of new oil and put that into the engine. Ran the engine for 5-10 mins. Let cool and settle...

When bike stood up straight... and the damned new oil level is above the top measure line... Arrrghhhh!!! Curiously it is very close indeed to the top line... if bike is between 1 and 3 degrees off centre... then the oil level is on the top line. The bike doesn't seem to care...

I see from other posts that there is discussion about putting 3.4l in or 3.5l in... so where is the 200-300cc difference in oil volume sitting then?

So what exactly is correct?

Best to all... Dayal

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a follow on... have worked out what is happening.

Put the bike on level today, with engine cold, sight glass showing full of oil and over top line.

Took out some 500cc of engine oil. With bike on standing straight on both wheels, oil in sight glass is now showing exactly on the top line of the sight glass.

Ran engine until at 74degrees. Stopped engine, waited 5mins and rechecked oil level. Showing about 1/3 up from bottom line of sight glass. After 15 mins oil level was then sitting just below the top line of the sight glass.

So... when the bike is running some 300cc to 500cc of engine oil is circulating constantly through the various engine, clutch and gearbox oil ways. Depending on the viscosity it will take somewhat more or somewhat less time for all the oil to drain fully into the sump area and show correctly in the sight glass.

The implications are:
A - When replacing oil - Amount of new oil, having run the engine to warm the oil up, then use some 3.4l of new oil.
B - When replacing oil - If you use 3.7l, then it will show as overfilled in the sight glass, either above the top line or with a full sight glass.
C - If you then run the engine, it is likely that the circulating oil, AND the oil in the sump will be at a correct level, probably at the top of the sight glass immediately the engine is turned off (which is what happens with mine).
D - This may be deliberate on the part of Ducati, to ensure that there is always sufficient oil to properly lubricate and cool the engine, especially if racing. Arguably if the oil is circulating correctly and the overall level is within the requirements, then 3.7l will do no harm (even if slightly overfilled), vs 3.4l

Thoughts and comments folks???

·
Registered
126 Posts
As a follow on... have worked out what is happening.

Put the bike on level today, with engine cold, sight glass showing full of oil and over top line.

Took out some 500cc of engine oil. With bike on standing straight on both wheels, oil in sight glass is now showing exactly on the top line of the sight glass.

Ran engine until at 74degrees. Stopped engine, waited 5mins and rechecked oil level. Showing about 1/3 up from bottom line of sight glass. After 15 mins oil level was then sitting just below the top line of the sight glass.

So... when the bike is running some 300cc to 500cc of engine oil is circulating constantly through the various engine, clutch and gearbox oil ways. Depending on the viscosity it will take somewhat more or somewhat less time for all the oil to drain fully into the sump area and show correctly in the sight glass.

The implications are:
A - When replacing oil - Amount of new oil, having run the engine to warm the oil up, then use some 3.4l of new oil.
B - When replacing oil - If you use 3.7l, then it will show as overfilled in the sight glass, either above the top line or with a full sight glass.
C - If you then run the engine, it is likely that the circulating oil, AND the oil in the sump will be at a correct level, probably at the top of the sight glass immediately the engine is turned off (which is what happens with mine).
D - This may be deliberate on the part of Ducati, to ensure that there is always sufficient oil to properly lubricate and cool the engine, especially if racing. Arguably if the oil is circulating correctly and the overall level is within the requirements, then 3.7l will do no harm (even if slightly overfilled), vs 3.4l

Thoughts and comments folks???
I think your assessment is accurate, going off of what the dealership had told me about the newer engines. If you think this is confusing, the V4 oil changes are even worse lol. I just did my 899 and V4 simultaneously the other night and it took 5 hours! (Ducati calls for the V4 to drain for 2 hours).

I have always put 3.5-3.7 quarts in my 899. I do believe there is some leeway as far as level, like you said due to the circulating oil. I'd rather err on the slightly high side rather than low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 959 Panigale, and I have the Ducati service manual. The amount of oil to use after you drain, clean, replace filter, and everything to spec., use 3.7 liters. That’s what it says in the service manual.

the liter bottles are marked in tenths, so it’s pretty easy to determine the .7

just leave .300 in the 4th liter you refill.

piece of cake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts