Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I screwed up. To get the oil filter cover off, I would remove the screws, then insert the m8 screws from the passenger footpeg assembly. I tended to screw these in enough that it would pull the oil filter cover forward. Then I could just unscrew them a little and pull it forward easily. I think that I should have only screwed them in a few turns and then just pulled them in.

I can't torque either of the screws to 14 nm now. They feel like they get tight, but then that last turn they turn freely 1/4 to 1/2 turn then they get to the same level of tightness. They can go to "hand tight", but not the full 14 nm.

I bought a few bolts from autozone last night with the same threads (20mm m6x1). And I tried to use them in a desparate attempt that I had just damaged the screws and not the threads. But the result is exactly the same.

Now I'm wondering what to do. I think the holes need to be drilled slightly larger and rethreaded. I'm going to call the dealership and hope that they can do that this week since I have track days this coming Sunday/Monday. I'm debating whether it's safe for me to just ride the bike the 10 miles to the dealership. I don't think it's likely that the oil filter cover would come open. But it would be a disaster if it did. I have a toy hauler and am leaning towards going to pick it up and use it to haul the bike down. It's definitely the more inconvenient way to go. But I figure I should do that.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? If not and you use those screws to remove the oil filter cover, definitely don't do what I did. I attached some pictures below. I think the threads actually came out with the screws. You can see them on one the screws and next to the screws in a couple pictures. I didn't realize that could happen.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bicycle part
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Font Asphalt
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades
Grey Material property Automotive tire Composite material Gas
Gas Wood Circle Font Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get a tap and chase the threads real quick to see if that solves the problem. I bet it will, but if it doesn't my next move would be to insert a couple of Helicoil's in there.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a tap and chase the threads real quick to see if that solves the problem. I bet it will, but if it doesn't my next move would be to insert a couple of Helicoil's in there.
This youtube video was pretty helpful to watch. Especially since he's dealing with the same issue (oil filter retaining screws on a motorcycle). From what I see there, he's saying that chasing the threads won't work:
I tend to agree since I saw the threads come out.

A question I have about the helicoil. The bolt threads are 20mm long. Since it goes through the oil filter cover, there is 13.1mm that extends into the hole. The total hole length is 19mm. The helicoil kit that I can find locally for that size (m6 x 1) is 9mm long. I've never used one before. So, I'm wondering:
  1. Does the helicoil lengthen as it is inserted?
  2. Would it be problematic for the helicoil to be shorter than the hole?
  3. Would it be problematic for the helicoil to be shorter than the bolt that goes through it?
I think the answer to #1 is no. I think the answer to #2 is no. And my guess with #3 is that it would just mean that the last 4mm of the bolt would not be contacting any threads, but it wouldn't be a problem.

But I'm curious from folks who have done helicoil inserts what your thoughts are.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a kit that I can get in time that has a 13mm long helicoil. So, I think I will be fine with that!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've used helicoil dozens of times, they are stronger than aluminum threads. For a car exhaust manifold I've put two in on top of each other to maximize the thread count because of the amount of torque needed. Don't over think it, it's not rocket science. It's an O-ring fit you're not torqueing the thing down to a thousand raging elephants, snug it up and call it good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts