Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls got a covering of engine oil on the sidestand and engine under the fairing. No idea where it’s coming from. Any ideas things to check??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
...it doesn't happen to be coming from the weep hole on the coolant pump....does it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done another 70 miles this morning and more oil all over the sidestand and underside of the shock etc can’t really see where it’s coming from

·
Registered
892 Posts
Reason why I ask if its coming out of the weep hole is because its relatively common to have coolant leaking from the coolant-to-pump seal, but there's a chance its a leak from the oil-to-pump seal - the photos you have just happen to show it in the vicinity of the weep hole.

If it is, you'd be the first reported 959 oil leak from coolant pump, so I think its improbable that's the case.

Done another 70 miles this morning and more oil all over the sidestand and underside of the shock etc can’t really see where it’s coming from
Fairly certain its a rear head cover leak but tough to say since there's not many reports on this forum about oil leaks. The most recent one was because the owner's 959 was backed into and the sidestand blew a hole in the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Check the bolt on the breather when you have the gas tank propped up - mine was working it's way out within the first month of ownership.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I had some issues on my 1199 with the breather / blow-by return tube leaking and oil running down the side of the motor. May be something to check. Should be able to shine a light in there with the side fairing off. It will be obvious if it's leaking. The factory hose clamps sometimes give way.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone

Found the problem, so arse of a previous owner has opened the engine case and not reinstalled the casing with the correct BOLTS!! Or used the correct sealant, hence the oil leak. £100 to fix BUT also a coolant leak from crack in both radiators so looking at a bill of over £1,000 to get it tip top

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine why the previous owner would open the engine case in the first place =/

Sorry to hear the previous owner did you a bad one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Such is life and thanks!

Current theory is it was a track school bike and needed a clutch but who knows for sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So we have the final word on the oil leak, some muppet has removed an R&G case cover and reused the slightly longer single use bolts to refit the std casing without protection so hence loose and leaking......

All sorted apparently

1 - 15 of 15 Posts