Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So other then clutch issues, I’ve got some questions for you boys about the 959, I’m thinking about in doing a few of mods on the bike including, Akrapovic Slip-On, Sprint filter, airbox wrap, lighter chain, flash & tune, after all of this how much power realistic do you think the bike can put down to the wheel. Have we had someone do this already because I couldn’t find anything on it. Also Can a 899/1199 Akra Slip on fit the 959?:grin2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
You will get nominal gains from a slip on. Why do you need more power? 959 is a very capable bike, unless we are talking about long straight aways it should be able to hang with most liter bikes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Can a 899/1199 Akra Slip on fit the 959?:grin2:
Slip-on, No. Full Termi, Yes.
Why bother for the nominal gains as @KarlKani wrote?
The 959 is plenty fast for any track in stock form. If your wallet is burning for an exit, lighter wheels is money better spent.
However, If you're really in search of more power, you can get a 1299 with 40 more hp's for less than the cost of all that bling.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will get nominal gains from a slip on. Why do you need more power? 959 is a very capable bike, unless we are talking about long straight aways it should be able to hang with most liter bikes.

It hangs with litter bikes if your pinned on full throttle if your not then they quickly disappear. 959 is a great bike in stock form but a little more power can help with keeping up with 1199 or 1299 etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slip-on, No. Full Termi, Yes.
Why bother for the nominal gains as @KarlKani wrote?
The 959 is plenty fast for any track in stock form. If your wallet is burning for an exit, lighter wheels is money better spent.
However, If you're really in search of more power, you can get a 1299 with 40 more hp's for less than the cost of all that bling.

Well I found Akra for good price then sprint filter is 200 and flash & tune $700... 1299s is at least 20k. & wouldn’t buy base model as I don’t feel that would be much of an upgrade more power but same suspension. https://www.solomotoparts.com/Akrapovic-Slip-On-Exhaust-for-Panigale-899-14/

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well I found Akra for good price then sprint filter is 200 and flash & tune $700... 1299s is at least 20k. & wouldn’t buy base model as I don’t feel that would be much of an upgrade more power but same suspension. https://www.solomotoparts.com/Akrapovic-Slip-On-Exhaust-for-Panigale-899-14/
If it's a 899 slip-on then it doesn't fit.
If you do get the right Akra slip-on for the 959, then you're looking at US$4000 for a new one.
Moreover, you're not changing the suspension on your 959 either so that should not be part of the discussion.
A used base 1299 can be bought for about US$14,000 which has better electronics such as better ABS, better TC, WC, nicer color display, LED lighting and 40 ponies more.

This topic and debate has been covered ad-infinitum. You asked for our opinion and we have responded accordingly as many have responded in past threads. At the end of the day, it's what you want that counts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It hangs with litter bikes if your pinned on full throttle if your not then they quickly disappear. 959 is a great bike in stock form but a little more power can help with keeping up with 1199 or 1299 etc...

Ok I see I think we are talking about 2 different things. I am talking about riding a bike fast, you are talking about pinning throttles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's a 899 slip-on then it doesn't fit.
If you do get the right Akra slip-on for the 959, then you're looking at US$4000 for a new one.
Moreover, you're not changing the suspension on your 959 either so that should not be part of the discussion.
A used base 1299 can be bought for about US$14,000 which has better electronics such as better ABS, better TC, WC, nicer color display, LED lighting and 40 ponies more.

This topic and debate has been covered ad-infinitum. You asked for our opinion and we have responded accordingly as many have responded in past threads. At the end of the day, it's what you want that counts.

Got ya so 899 slip on doesn’t fit the 959, I wonder what the size difference since there almost the same bike same header set up.
& I mentioned the 1299 suspension because I wouldn’t upgrade to one that isn’t s or above... thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I see I think we are talking about 2 different things. I am talking about riding a bike fast, you are talking about pinning throttles.

I’m talking about riding fast in the straights because that’s where every litterbike expect Honda’s pull away from a 959. So just want a little more power from the bike to keep up with big bikes even when cruising.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I know there are guys on here that have done some, if not all the modifications you're contemplating. Are you currently running your engine mode in Race / High? I did a 3rd gear running start (straight line) against a 2017 GSXR 1000 "R" and stayed right with him until I accidentally hit the rev limiter going into 5th. Oops!! The only drive related mods I've done are upgrading to a DID ERV3 chain, and going up 2 teeth on the rear. Stock cans, OEM tires, etc.

I know this was mentioned, but one of the best, and most overall noticeable mods you can make is going to a lightweight wheel. It affects everything.... acceleration, braking, cornering, transitions. Not sure how much money you'll spend on the upgrades you mentioned, but upgraded wheels might be something to consider. A lot of guys are forgoing the minimal gains with the engine / exhaust upgrades and going straight to the wheels.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know there are guys on here that have done some, if not all the modifications you're contemplating. Are you currently running your engine mode in Race / High? I did a 3rd gear running start (straight line) against a 2017 GSXR 1000 "R" and stayed right with him until I accidentally hit the rev limiter going into 5th. Oops!! The only drive related mods I've done are upgrading to a DID ERV3 chain, and going up 2 teeth on the rear. Stock cans, OEM tires, etc.

I know this was mentioned, but one of the best, and most overall noticeable mods you can make is going to a lightweight wheel. It affects everything.... acceleration, braking, cornering, transitions. Not sure how much money you'll spend on the upgrades you mentioned, but upgraded wheels might be something to consider. A lot of guys are forgoing the minimal gains with the engine / exhaust upgrades and going straight to the wheels.

Nice!!! I can’t say the same about gixxer I raced a 2017 red gixxer and it passed me on one wheel at 120 mph. And yes I run race mode/high with traction control off abs 1 and enginebrake on 3 I notice more “pop pops” from exhaust like that now with slip on it would probs backfire. But all this other bike produce 40-50-60 hp more so they’ll always take me and I’m okay with that but for cruising with my friends and they can corner I need a little more power. I’ll look into carbon wheels, which are better for 959 BST or Rotobox?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice!!! I can’t say the same about gixxer I raced a 2017 red gixxer and it passed me on one wheel at 120 mph. And yes I run race mode/high with traction control off abs 1 and enginebrake on 3 I notice more “pop pops” from exhaust like that now with slip on it would probs backfire. But all this other bike produce 40-50-60 hp more so they’ll always take me and I’m okay with that but for cruising with my friends and they can corner I need a little more power. I’ll look into carbon wheels, which are better for 959 BST or Rotobox?

http://www.959panigale.net/forum/95...eels-bst-vs-rotobox-one-would-you-choose.html

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
@Vicati, BST vs Rotbox is a good question. I went with BST, but I'm old! So I went with the more classic brand. lol! I had never really studied carbon wheels up close until I got mine. They are really pretty amazing pieces of technology. I would say you'd be doing well with either brand, but I think visual preference is the deciding factor for most between the two.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@Vicati
Going back hundreds of posts on the topic, lighter wheels and gearing change are unquestionably among the "Best Bang for the Bucks" upgrades shared by fellow forum members. For more power, there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Got ya so 899 slip on doesn’t fit the 959, I wonder what the size difference since there almost the same bike same header set up.
It's a question of length and alignment of the headers and "Y" pipe.
When Akrapovic landed the contract for Ducati's 959/1299, they didn't want competition from older and discounted inventory.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are not sure of yourself against so called "liter" bikes, then I would highly suggest to visit your local track and get some track time. I think you will find that all that $$$ upgrade you want to get pales in comparison in what you can get out of a couple of track time. You will be a much better rider all around without all the bling. All you need is your wrist.

I find it comical that some people believe that just by putting all that go fast goodies will make them go fast. A stock 250 or say an R6 will have no problem hanging out with the liter boyz. I usually see them in my rear view mirrors.

In the end of the day, it's your money so spend it the way you want to and call it what it is, cosmetics. Just don't go in thinking it's going to make you "hang out with the liter boyz". You'll just most likely end up crashing.

I'm not hating, just my .03. Best of luck to your quest.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...You will be a much better rider all around without all the bling. All you need is your wrist...
I agree with this statement, however, let's be REAL - it's Fear that you need to overcome to be a great rider. Time on the track will help eliminate the Fear as skills increase. Me personally, my fear starts at about 140MPH when the front end starts to shake a little bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a question of length and alignment of the headers and "Y" pipe.
When Akrapovic landed the contract for Ducati's 959/1299, they didn't want competition from older and discounted inventory.

Makes sense

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
So other then clutch issues, I’ve got some questions for you boys about the 959, I’m thinking about in doing a few of mods on the bike including, Akrapovic Slip-On, Sprint filter, airbox wrap, lighter chain, flash & tune, after all of this how much power realistic do you think the bike can put down to the wheel. Have we had someone do this already because I couldn’t find anything on it. Also Can a 899/1199 Akra Slip on fit the 959?:grin2:

Trade in on a 1299 or the new V4 Panigale, the 959 is perfect as is for it's displacement size . Just my .02 :nerd:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are not sure of yourself against so called "liter" bikes, then I would highly suggest to visit your local track and get some track time. I think you will find that all that $$$ upgrade you want to get pales in comparison in what you can get out of a couple of track time. You will be a much better rider all around without all the bling. All you need is your wrist.

I find it comical that some people believe that just by putting all that go fast goodies will make them go fast. A stock 250 or say an R6 will have no problem hanging out with the liter boyz. I usually see them in my rear view mirrors.

In the end of the day, it's your money so spend it the way you want to and call it what it is, cosmetics. Just don't go in thinking it's going to make you "hang out with the liter boyz". You'll just most likely end up crashing.

I'm not hating, just my .03. Best of luck to your quest.

..... I guess you read what you wanted to see or misunderstood my post, there no amount of track time that will make me keep up on the STRAIGHTS WITH THE LITTERBIKES, when I mentioned corners I said my friends are experienced and have track time so they are fast on the curves, the extra power they have will always trump our 959, end of story and I’m okay with that, I just want to unlock the 959 as I know the engine has more potential. For example removing the governor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts