Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My red 959 got the opti-coat pro plus today. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. They sent me a picture of it. I included a picture from the dealership (has a yellow hold card on the handlebar) for comparison. I'm super excited to see it in person.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bike looked beautiful after the opti-coat

Here are a bunch of pictures of my red 959 after the opti-coat. I also posted a video here:

The opti-coat was done by Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue, Washington. They charged $350 for it. The Ducati dealer dropped my 959 off at their shop. I think it looks great. I'll post information over time as I see how it lasts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Higher quality pictures that Metropolitan Detail took

I attached some higher quality pictures that Metropolitan Detail took.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
This stuff supposed to last forever or do you have to get it reapplied after some time? Glad to see you're protecting the finish.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
What exactly is the issue with the Ducati Red paint, too soft, scratches easily etc?

Is the Artic White matte paint the same, needs a protective coating?

It seems we are paying a premium price for these machines already, I'm not fully understanding why Ducati can't include a durable finish straight from the factory.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK so it's a protective coat. Does it change the look or finish of the paint at all? It's hard to tell from the pictures here.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so it's a protective coat. Does it change the look or finish of the paint at all? It's hard to tell from the pictures here.
I think it made it look deeper and will keep it looking shiny in between washes better. But that's subjective and time will tell for me...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it made it look deeper and will keep it looking shiny in between washes better. But that's subjective and time will tell for me...
Based on your post I purchased a few products from that company as well as the Opticoat.
I purchased a heavy cleaner for wheels which also does a great job cleaning mud,grime,etc off black plated pieces such as rear fende and swing arm cover. Also purchased the water-less car wash which you just spray and wipe for quick cleaning, And of course the Opti clean which is applied with a small sponge in circular motions and if you use sparingly, only requires a light buff to bring out a mirror finish . Very impressed with the product line....thanks for The recommendation.
Also. Just this morning I ran my jacket arm zipper across the top of the fuel tank causing a 3" scratch which almost gave me a heart attack. After all calmed down, I got the Opti clean and began slowly buffing the scratch . Little by little it disappeared with no swirl marks as the optic clean is non-abrasive. I was quite happy it completely removed the scratch. Keep in mind I had previously applied the sealant so I am optimistically thinking the protective layer helped remove the scratch with ease. One more reason to use these product lines...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm curious as to how it will look after applying it to the matte white paint panigale's...
Or if they'd use a different kind of coat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Impressive ride! I'm feeling jealous! haha

Glad you got the opti-coat on the bike! Protect that baby!

Although it looks like the bright red (original) went to a darker red (or lessen the bright red) a bit. Nonetheless, it still looks great!

The coat will definitely help out under the sun, as Red tends to fade.

My buddy has his Audi s5 opti-coat for the past 2 years and his car is still looking squeaky clean in the white ! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Doesn't the matte already come with a clear coat?
not sure I understand what you're asking, so I'll explain a little...

there's the main color - in this case Red - that's applied to the part. Then there's a multi-step process of clearcote. The clearcote can be gloss, matte, pearl, or other.

The white 959 has a matte clearcote, not a gloss or pearl.

·
Registered
148 Posts
not sure I understand what you're asking, so I'll explain a little...

there's the main color - in this case Red - that's applied to the part. Then there's a multi-step process of clearcote. The clearcote can be gloss, matte, pearl, or other.

The white 959 has a matte clearcote, not a gloss or pearl.
As far as what i know, the red does not have a clear coat which is why it scratches easily and fades faster. However, the matte white comes with a matte clear coat from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
My red 959 got the opti-coat pro plus today. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. They sent me a picture of it. I included a picture from the dealership (has a yellow hold card on the handlebar) for comparison. I'm super excited to see it in person.
Where did you purchase it?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Are you asking where I purchased the 959 or the opti-coat?
Sorry, the Opti-Coat. Is it something you did yourself, or does it have to be applied by an Opti-Coat dealer? I was told by a OC dealer near me that they don't sell the product for a DIY application, it's sold as a service. They quoted me $400 to do the bike. I have no frame of reference as far as the pricing goes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts