Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking real quick to see if anyone has thought of or actually had their bike wrapped with some type of paint protection like 3M. This is probably more for the guys that own a Red 959 as I have heard it doesn't come with a clear coat. I own a white one but was thinking about having it done. I am hesitant though because when it's done I don't want to be able to see it at all. If someone has had it done to there bike please let me know and if you are in the SoCal or Phoenix area even better.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I don't plan on it... even the best clear wrap you'll see, mostly because it's gloss - I'm not aware of a matte clear wrap

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Just checking real quick to see if anyone has thought of or actually had their bike wrapped with some type of paint protection like 3M. This is probably more for the guys that own a Red 959 as I have heard it doesn't come with a clear coat. I own a white one but was thinking about having it done. I am hesitant though because when it's done I don't want to be able to see it at all. If someone has had it done to there bike please let me know and if you are in the SoCal or Phoenix area even better.
I got the opti-coat done to mine by a local paint shop in Washington state. I had the dealer drive it directly there and picked up the bike after the opti-coat had cleared. Since it's a coating over the paint, there is nothing to be seen (as opposed to a plastic wrap).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all. I posted a blurb about getting your bike coated in the "What Did You Do To Your Ducati 959 Panigale Today?" section, but I wanted to give a little more info here. If you want the opinion of the "best of the best", the guy who details multi-million dollar cars, race cars, and high-end motorcycles you really should listen to Larry Kosilla of AMMONYC. He is so knowledgeable it's ridiculous. Here's his web site Home | AMMO NYC. He also does podcasts, AMMO NYC Podcast | cleaning, cars, ammo, automotive, larry kosilla, car, restore , and is on Reditt. I'm going to talk to him today about what, if anything he thinks I should do to my 959. If nothing else, look through his videos on his site and on YouTube to see how you should be caring for your bike - coating or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had Ventureshield applied.
Yes you can see it if you are closer than 1 metre (3 feet).

The nose/screen, tank, and rear have had the template provided by 3m applied. When close, you can see the edges of the film.
The front, tank and rear template comes in multiple parts, and you can also see the edges.
I opted for a full wrap (as opposed to template on leading edges only) for the side and bottom fairings. You can see where the film has been stretched to follow the tighter curves where the holes/vents are in the bottom fairing particularly.
There are some flaws in the film that are also visible.
The front fender has a matte section of film applied to the leading edge. I'm not sure if you could ask for matte film to be used for the whole template, thereby eliminating the gloss on matte white issue.

I'm not sure if I would have it done again.....I'll see how it goes in time, but here in Western Australia, many of the country roads have bauxite pebbles that flick up and chip everything, so I chose to see film instead of stone chips.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had Ventureshield applied.
Yes you can see it if you are closer than 1 metre (3 feet).

The nose/screen, tank, and rear have had the template provided by 3m applied. When close, you can see the edges of the film.
The front, tank and rear template comes in multiple parts, and you can also see the edges.
I opted for a full wrap (as opposed to template on leading edges only) for the side and bottom fairings. You can see where the film has been stretched to follow the tighter curves where the holes/vents are in the bottom fairing particularly.
There are some flaws in the film that are also visible.
The front fender has a matte section of film applied to the leading edge. I'm not sure if you could ask for matte film to be used for the whole template, thereby eliminating the gloss on matte white issue.

I'm not sure if I would have it done again.....I'll see how it goes in time, but here in Western Australia, many of the country roads have bauxite pebbles that flick up and chip everything, so I chose to see film instead of stone chips.

Cheers
Makes sense to have it done, I just don't want to be able to know that it's there but I guess that might be the tradeoff to make sure that your bike is kept looking good. Thanks for the info, I am going to keep doing research but as of now I am thinking of only getting the leading edges done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Clear Wrap Paint protection

I did a lot of research on this based on my needs and I opted for Scotchguard Pro clear wrap. My main consideration was protection of minor chips from rocks and debris, second for prevention of scratches and overall paint protection, and thirdly the cost. Opti-coat and cquartz are excellent additional protection to maintain the finish of your paint, but it will not protect your bike from any chips or scratches. I also considered getting opti-coat together with some clear wrap but found that I didn't need to do both, not to mention it is a waste of $$$. I already made the decision that I wanted clear wrap as oppose to a color wrap. I also considered plasti-dip but I wanted to keep the original Ducati Red paint scheme.

With a little help from google, youtube and searching this forum, I narrowed it down to these two:

1299 Panigale Total Protection Kit - The Tankslapper

2012 DUCATI 1199 PANIGALE (S MODEL) Full Clear Bra Kit | ClearDefender

After that, I needed to find out which clear wrap would give me the best bang for the buck. I heard and read a lot of good reviews for the Avery Nano Fusion and Xpel until I came across this

I then went about searching for a local retailer and installer. One shop quoted me $2000 for a full clear wrap and another quoted me $800 just for the install and claimed it will take a full day to complete. At which point, I considered installing it myself. I mean how hard could it be right? I even read someone in this forum did it himself. He did it in sections and over a few days.

and then I found this on the The Tankslapper website.....

"If the practice piece leaves you feeling like the task is beyond your skill level, don’t go on to the kit pieces before you seek help or decide to return it, because we can’t take the kit back simply because you failed to get satisfactory results. Once you remove the film from the release paper, we can’t resell it, and subsequently can’t offer a refund. Drop by our shop for an installation if possible, or seek professional installers in you area. Even though we design our patterns not to be too ambitious in its coverage, taking into a account that a do-it-yourselfer is going to attempt the installation on their own, we can’t guarantee that anyone can install it, because skill levels vary. If you don’t trust your skill level and think you might have trouble, then we recommend you consider the “Tankslapper” film, its fool prove. But at the same time does an equally good job of protecting your paint."

Long story short, I contacted their shop and ask where it is and how much for installation. Lucas at The Tankslapper is a stand up guy and gave me the deal of the century. Let me just say that the final bill for the full kit was less than $300 installed!!!!

Additionally:

1) You can install any tank traction pads such as Stompgrip or Techspec right on top of the film. As a matter of fact he recommends this since it will give you an extra layer of protection from the adhesives of the pads. The film will not move once it cures and takes the shape of the protected part.
2) He's been doing this since 1999. It only took him 3.5 hours not the whole day
3) He has clear wrap protection for matte finishes, such as carbon fiber parts, but it won't be the scotchguard pro material.
4) Scotchguard pro has a 7 year warranty from fading or cracking. Xpel has a 10 yr warranty
5) You will not be able to tell from 1 feet away if you have the wrap or not.
6) I am super duper satisfied with the material and his service
7) @Nhesto - he is located in the Escondido, CA area

My Techspec pads are on it's way, so I will post some pictures once I have those installed, but here are some in the meantime. It took me sometime to gather all these information so my hope is that some of you will find it helpful in your decisions.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did a lot of research on this based on my needs and I opted for Scotchguard Pro clear wrap. My main consideration was protection of minor chips from rocks and debris, second for prevention of scratches and overall paint protection, and thirdly the cost. Opti-coat and cquartz are excellent additional protection to maintain the finish of your paint, but it will not protect your bike from any chips or scratches. I also considered getting opti-coat together with some clear wrap but found that I didn't need to do both, not to mention it is a waste of $$$. I already made the decision that I wanted clear wrap as oppose to a color wrap. I also considered plasti-dip but I wanted to keep the original Ducati Red paint scheme.

With a little help from google, youtube and searching this forum, I narrowed it down to these two:

1299 Panigale Total Protection Kit - The Tankslapper

2012 DUCATI 1199 PANIGALE (S MODEL) Full Clear Bra Kit | ClearDefender

After that, I needed to find out which clear wrap would give me the best bang for the buck. I heard and read a lot of good reviews for the Avery Nano Fusion and Xpel until I came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUPC1YVa5uk

I then went about searching for a local retailer and installer. One shop quoted me $2000 for a full clear wrap and another quoted me $800 just for the install and claimed it will take a full day to complete. At which point, I considered installing it myself. I mean how hard could it be right? I even read someone in this forum did it himself. He did it in sections and over a few days.

and then I found this on the The Tankslapper website.....

"If the practice piece leaves you feeling like the task is beyond your skill level, don’t go on to the kit pieces before you seek help or decide to return it, because we can’t take the kit back simply because you failed to get satisfactory results. Once you remove the film from the release paper, we can’t resell it, and subsequently can’t offer a refund. Drop by our shop for an installation if possible, or seek professional installers in you area. Even though we design our patterns not to be too ambitious in its coverage, taking into a account that a do-it-yourselfer is going to attempt the installation on their own, we can’t guarantee that anyone can install it, because skill levels vary. If you don’t trust your skill level and think you might have trouble, then we recommend you consider the “Tankslapper” film, its fool prove. But at the same time does an equally good job of protecting your paint."

Long story short, I contacted their shop and ask where it is and how much for installation. Lucas at The Tankslapper is a stand up guy and gave me the deal of the century. Let me just say that the final bill for the full kit was less than $300 installed!!!!

Additionally:

1) You can install any tank traction pads such as Stompgrip or Techspec right on top of the film. As a matter of fact he recommends this since it will give you an extra layer of protection from the adhesives of the pads. The film will not move once it cures and takes the shape of the protected part.
2) He's been doing this since 1999. It only took him 3.5 hours not the whole day
3) He has clear wrap protection for matte finishes, such as carbon fiber parts, but it won't be the scotchguard pro material.
4) Scotchguard pro has a 7 year warranty from fading or cracking. Xpel has a 10 yr warranty
5) You will not be able to tell from 1 feet away if you have the wrap or not.
6) I am super duper satisfied with the material and his service
7) @Nhesto - he is located in the Escondido, CA area

My Techspec pads are on it's way, so I will post some pictures once I have those installed, but here are some in the meantime. It took me sometime to gather all these information so my hope is that some of you will find it helpful in your decisions.

Cheers
Keep in mind this video was posted in 2014 on youtube.... I spoke with Lucas at Tank Slapper and he advised that the Xpel is now like on its 4th Version of improvement....Xpel Ultimate is the one I ordered and should be here soon. So keep in mind that in 2 years a lot of improvements and could have better results. Just wanted to make sure that it was pointed out that the comparison shown here is 2yrs old.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Keep in mind this video was posted in 2014 on youtube.... I spoke with Lucas at Tank Slapper and he advised that the Xpel is now like on its 4th Version of improvement....Xpel Ultimate is the one I ordered and should be here soon. So keep in mind that in 2 years a lot of improvements and could have better results. Just wanted to make sure that it was pointed out that the comparison shown here is 2yrs old.
That's good to know. Thanks for the update. I think either way is a winner. I'm glad you were able to make a good choice. And both will probably be obsolete in another 2 yrs! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Nhesto How did yours end up looking? Did you go with the full wrap or leading edge wrap? And if you went with a matte film, how well does it blend in with the stock white paint?

I pick my bike up this monday (so excited!!) and looking to get her leading edges wrapped up in matte film.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a red 959, and I had the clear film done on my bike last month. You really can't tell unless you are really up close. It cost me around $700, and the brand of the film is SunTek.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I have a red 959, and I had the clear film done on my bike last month. You really can't tell unless you are really up close. It cost me around $700, and the brand of the film is SunTek.
$700 sounds expensive! How much would it be to repaint the bike in a few years? $1,000? Or is it more expensive?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts