Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of looking at my scratched up heel guards, so I am trying out a wrinkle black finish. It's a lot cheaper than carbon guards and until I get some new rearsets it will have to do. Hopefully it will last a bit. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like the texture. How did you apply it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the texture. How did you apply it?

It's just a VHT rattle can. Spray it on and let it dry for a few years or you can cure it in the oven or with a heat gun much faster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I think it ends up matching with the swingarm pretty well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would like to see what the swing arm on my RR would look like with this finish...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to see what the swing arm on my RR would look like with this finish...

Probably pretty nice. The finish comes out pretty nicely. As long as you apply the same number of coats to the entire swingarm the degree of wrinkle will be the same throughout. And you can do the whole thing with one can I think it will about 14 sq ft.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like it too!
By the way, the heel guards are very sharp on the top. You can literally cut yourself on these things. I noticed that my boots are scratched on the inside of the heel because of this.

Maybe the guards are not that sharp anymore after applying this finish?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it too!

By the way, the heel guards are very sharp on the top. You can literally cut yourself on these things. I noticed that my boots are scratched on the inside of the heel because of this.

Maybe the guards are not that sharp anymore after applying this finish?

It smoothed it out a bit, and I also sanded it just a little for prep. I don't think it will scratch my boots anymore. I have all sort of scrapes and nicks on the hard plastic on heel of my boots as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Looks nice! Let us know how durable it is.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It smoothed it out a bit, and I also sanded it just a little for prep. I don't think it will scratch my boots anymore. I have all sort of scrapes and nicks on the hard plastic on heel of my boots as well.
I'm contemplating on filing the edge down myself to a decent 1-2mm chamfer/fillet. How much did you take off? Hard to see from the pics.

I feel mine scraping on my boots all the time. Shift boot has a chunk taken out from the heel guards.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't take off much just got rid of a bit of the sharp edge from stamping or whatever they used to cut the things. Just a quick sandpaper job.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I actually ended up taking my shift side heel guard off all together as my boot kept getting caught. Don't have an issue with the brake side.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I actually ended up taking my shift side heel guard off all together as my boot kept getting caught. Don't have an issue with the brake side.
Might try this out. How's your heel feel against the swingarm?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
@harleydavidson - Please refrain from soliciting your Ebay store on this forum. Approved vendors only.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts