Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beauty as well as value are in the eyes of the beholder. No doubt, the 959 Corse edition livery is gorgeous.
However, we had previously discussed on this forum the wish for a 959 "S" version which included the features available on the 1299 "S" namely:

-Forged Machesini wheels
-Clutch-less down-shift
-1299 "S" Electronics (DWC, Launch control, Cornering ABS etc.)
-LED headlights
-Color LCD display

Based on these omissions , the Corse edition (IMO) has fallen short of those expectations for the premium price commanded. YMMV.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Beauty as well as value are in the eyes of the beholder. No doubt, the 959 Corse edition livery is gorgeous.
However, we had previously discussed on this forum the wish for a 959 "S" version which included the features available on the 1299 "S" namely:

-Forged Machesini wheels
-Clutch-less down-shift
-1299 "S" Electronics (DWC, Launch control, Cornering ABS etc.)
-LED headlights
-Color LCD display

Based on these omissions , the Corse edition (IMO) has fallen short of those expectations for the premium price commanded. YMMV.
Somewhat agree. They would never do a the things listed above on the 959 platform because it muddies the product range waters a bit too much. the corse looks amazing and has onlins, that is sick. But what is confusing is why the Euro 4 version comes with Akra???

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those homologated Euro 4 Akras are not the cans you're looking for.
Notwithstanding, I read-ya where the US version should have had a sweetener of some sort to compensate. Perhaps it's in the Euro-Dollar price spread between the STD and the Corse. I haven't looked into that. Back to the US, $2200 premium would go a long way into buying Carbon Fiber wheels.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Those homologated Euro 4 Akras are not the cans you're looking for.
Notwithstanding, I read-ya where the US version should have had a sweetener of some sort to compensate. Perhaps it's in the Euro-Dollar price spread between the STD and the Corse. I haven't looked into that. Back to the US, $2200 premium would go a long way into buying Carbon Fiber wheels.
yes euro 4 auras are trash but still they come with it.

Can you imagine living in the EU somewhere, buying a corse that comes with an akra exhaust. Then having to buy the akra underbelly exhaust !!! yikes

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes, I just don't understand Ducati's logic. Even the 2017 Monster has better electronics than the 2018 Panigale 959 Corse.

Last year's Monster was updated to include:
-Bosch 9.1 MP Cornering ABS,
-Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC)
-Up-Down Auto-blipping (DQS)
-LED lights.

With the exception of the latter, you would think that the Panigale's would benefit more with having these than the Monster's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I agree DarR. As happy as I am with the paint and suspension - I feel like they should have upgraded the electronics as well! In the end though, I'm very pleased with the overall package... except the heat =/

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a stunning bike. It looks even better in person. You'll enjoy it, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'm thinking it's all mainly price driven. From what I can tell they want to keep the 959 under the $20K usd mark. Like @KarlKani mentioned, "It would muddy up the waters" between the two levels. When I purchased my 959 (2016) the Monster 1200 S was the same price. So in that case I would expect the Monster to have more "tricky bits" for sure. You keep adding the "big bike" goodies on the middle weight and the lines become blurred in price and options. I don't think we'll ever simultaneously see the 959 with the same options as the big bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really like my corse bike. The paint and ohlins are worth the price of admission in my opinion. The downside is the bike stands out and when going faster than posted - its an easy bike to describe. I agree with what has been said above - many things on the bike should have been upgraded. The parts exist on other bikes in the fleet, so the R&D should be low. Also missing is a fuel gauge and cancelling signals for those of us who ride on the road.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I really like my corse bike. The paint and ohlins are worth the price of admission in my opinion. The downside is the bike stands out and when going faster than posted - its an easy bike to describe. I agree with what has been said above - many things on the bike should have been upgraded. The parts exist on other bikes in the fleet, so the R&D should be low. Also missing is a fuel gauge and cancelling signals for those of us who ride on the road.
Does that happen? People report your bike to authorities and then LEOs are on the lookout for it? Uh Oh. I had better be careful.

Fuel gauge. How hard would that be to make standard on the standard 959 as well? They already have a low fuel light, why not match the sophisticated electronics of say, a Ninja 300, and have a fuel gauge!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does that happen? People report your bike to authorities and then LEOs are on the lookout for it? Uh Oh. I had better be careful.

Fuel gauge. How hard would that be to make standard on the standard 959 as well? They already have a low fuel light, why not match the sophisticated electronics of say, a Ninja 300, and have a fuel gauge!
Fuel gauge is a Ducati topic that's been covered ad-infinitum.
Why would you need to know how much fuel is in your tank? You don't.
What you really need to know is your distance to empty which all vehicles should have.
A fuel gauges is an antiquated instrument.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fuel gauge is a Ducati topic that's been covered ad-infinitum.
Why would you need to know how much fuel is in your tank? You don't.
What you really need to know is your distance to empty.
Fuel gauges are an antiquated instrument.
Here is why a gauge is handy. I know that I can get 125 miles to empty, on my 959, the way I normally ride it.

Occasionally, I ride it in an atypical manner, using more low RPM highway mileage to get to another riding venue.

It would be nice to know how much fuel I have in the tank to plan fuel stops before I get the low fuel warning light.

I am a licensed pilot and have flow professionally. Those insanely expensive machines have fuel gauges that cannot be trusted (even dumber than the ducati not having a usable gauge). In fact you are trained, and I have trained others as a CFI, to never ever trust the fuel gauges. Know how much fuel you start with, calculate how long you have to fly at the given power setting and fuel burn. That works since fuel flows are set and constant.

If the Ducati is ridden at various fuel flow rates, why is it antiquated to have an easily available state of the art instrument telling the rider how many miles there are to empty, adjusting throughout the ride? More than one competent motorcyclist has run out of gas. I guess we agree on the distance to empty part.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sometimes, I just don't understand Ducati's logic. Even the 2017 Monster has better electronics than the 2018 Panigale 959 Corse.

Last year's Monster was updated to include:
-Bosch 9.1 MP Cornering ABS,
-Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC)
-Up-Down Auto-blipping (DQS)
-LED lights.

With the exception of the latter, you would think that the Panigale's would benefit more with having these than the Monster's?
Almost found out the hard way at NJMP on Monday that our wheelie control isn't as integrated as I thought...cracked the throttle harder than usual over wheelie hill and my buddy that was watching said I was @45 degrees for 80ft, data logger shows that was at 95mph...wooohooo! I am not known at all for my wheelie skillz so that was pretty hairy. Slowly rolled out of it and kept going. At least I gave my friend a show.

Back on topic, if I never bought my AWS 959 and was about to purchase one I would jump on the Corse even without the other wish list items.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am a licensed pilot and have flow professionally. Those insanely expensive machines have fuel gauges that cannot be trusted (even dumber than the ducati not having a usable gauge). In fact you are trained, and I have trained others as a CFI, to never ever trust the fuel gauges. Know how much fuel you start with, calculate how long you have to fly at the given power setting and fuel burn. That works since fuel flows are set and constant.

If the Ducati is ridden at various fuel flow rates, why is it antiquated to have an easily available state of the art instrument telling the rider how many miles there are to empty, adjusting throughout the ride? More than one competent motorcyclist has run out of gas. I guess we agree on the distance to empty part.
While your analogy is applicable, I don't believe it is relevant. In an aircraft, lack of an exact understanding of remaining fuel can result in death. On a motorcycle, that lack of information just fuels complacency. I agree with @DarR to say that a low fuel warning is all we need; extra is superfluous.

Riders of any skill/experience level don't run out of gas because they lacked an accurate gauge (or one with more than one discrete display step) for their remaining fuel, riders run out of gas because they forgot or attempted to push the limits of the few ounces they thought they had left.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@Pard
Antiquated instrument was just my way of being sarcastic to drive the point home. :wink2:
Sure, I think it could be nice if you have room to spare on the display [sarc] but distance to empty is much more useful.

In the absence of a fuel gauge, you can always determine approximately how full or empty your tank is "the old fashion way":
shaking and sloshing the tank from side to side between your knees.

About the aircraft:
IMHO, If my choices were one or the other, I would prefer knowing fuel weight, gallons remaining or flying time remaining than a fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Fuel gauge = trip odometer A

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup. Massive amongst the duc's criticism list.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts