1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Confirmed differences includes:
Ohlins (non-electronic) front and rear suspension
Ohlins adjustable steering damper
Lighter Lithium battery
Corse paint scheme

Unlikely differences / improvements includes:

Auto blipping clutchless Downshifting QS (verdict outstanding)
Akrapovic Titanium under-slung exhaust
Dynamic electronic suspension & damping
Bosch-powered cornering ABS
DWC & Launch Control
Forged Wheels
Diablo Supercorsa tires
Brembo M50 calipers
LED lighting
Full color TFT display
Carbon Fiber

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
MSRP in USD

Panigale 959: $15,395
Panigale 959 Corse: $17,595 ($2,200 premium)
Panigale V4: $21,195 ($3,600 premium)

IMHO, Ducati had room to increase the price of the 959 Corse to include many of the items mentioned above which are available in the Panigale V4S, (most of which were also available in the 1299S).

Reactions: cavlino

·
Registered
36 Posts
The user manual for the Corse is now on the Ducati site:

http://www.ducati.com/cms-web/upl/d...SBK_959_Panigale_Corse_(E4)_GBR_MY18_ED00.pdf

Few things I noted that we already know about

Lithium battery
Öhlins front and rear
Öhlins steering damper
Akra shotgun exhaust for EU models.

Now to some interesting bits. The manual says that the wheels are ‘light alloy forged’. I got excited about this until I read the none corse manual and saw the same description for the wheels. However, a difference I did see in the manual was the description for the corse exhaust pipes:

“Exhaust system: Exhaust pipe layout is "2 into 1 into 2". Titanium primary pipes; titanium presilencer; titanium silencers”

In the standard 959 manual the description is stainless steel. I really hope that this is right for the corse. With regards to the up/down quick shift, I couldn’t see any direct reference to it but I did see this in the operating instructions for the dqs.

1) Ducati Quick Shift will shift down only when the throttle control is completely closed.
2) No matter the gear engaged, downshifting with Ducati Quick Shift only woks below a set threshold, so as to avoid exceeding the maximum rpm allowed when the lower gear is engaged.
3) It is not possible to downshift using the DQS when the Cruise Control is on

I can’t find any of this information in the manual for the 17 or 18 standard 959

Now, I don’t really care about cruise control, and I was under the impression that the corse didn’t come with up down and I’m still happy if it doesn’t as I had accepted it, and slipper clutches these days are pretty good, but what a bonus it would be if it did actually come with one and the titanium pipes. Then again, you can clutchless down shift on any bike in the right rev range, so not sure what to think about it.

Mine arrives late March / early April so not long to find out.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting stuff.
With reference to : Ducati Quick Shift will shift down only when the throttle control is completely closed.

I've experience such a DQS downshifter on the newer Monster 2017 1200S which I've test ridden extensively. Having to close the throttle before clutch-less downshifting is a royal pain. It defeats the purpose and it's just as fast, if not faster using the clutch. The missing feature is the lack of blimping the throttle as found on the bigger Panigales.

Couldn't find any other reference to the cruise control other than what you found. Don't really care for it anyways.
The forged wheels was a surprise. Hope to see a confirmation but most likely an errata.
Looking forward to your review when you get the bike. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Headlside

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only managed about 10 minutes on it today picking it up. Feels very nice. Smooth, power on tap, quick shift is nice and the sound on the throttle is intoxicating! Feels really really (like really!) light and falls into corners easily. The finish is sublime, beautiful paintwork. It’s my first Ducati and I am smitten with the way she looks.

Few things need to change though. Can't get used to the long levers and the seat made of Teflon. Sliding all over it and no where to grip means lots of pressure on wrists. Going to put some tank grips on it tomorrow and see if that helps, otherwise will need to do something about the seat. I also find that you sit really high on the bike so I have to get used to this position. Makes me think the comfort seat would perch you even higher. I also hate long levers so they are being changed out tomorrow for twm shorties. Have an evotech tail tidy for her too.

Just to confirm though, no dqs down. At all. No blip and no clutchless downshift unless your rev matching.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
...Just to confirm though, no dqs down. At all. No blip and no clutchless downshift unless your rev matching.
So what you've quoted previously from the manual is false?

...With regards to the up/down quick shift, I couldn’t see any direct reference to it but I did see this in the operating instructions for the dqs.

1) Ducati Quick Shift will shift down only when the throttle control is completely closed.
2) No matter the gear engaged, downshifting with Ducati Quick Shift only woks below a set threshold, so as to avoid exceeding the maximum rpm allowed when the lower gear is engaged...
Ohh, and lets see pics of the darn thing!!! C'Mon u know better!!! ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Stuck a couple in the gallery section
Pretty brave taking a pic with the kickstand in the dirt/sand.

Bummer about the autoblipper, maybe the US version is different?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And sorry yes, the manual is incorrect about the downshift
No worries. The guys are having fun. Ducati manuals (among others) have many mistakes. Most often they are written prior to production of the bikes. Features often wind-up on the cutting-room floor.

Short levers and a grippy DP Race seat were among my first mods.

Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and it sounds like you are really enjoying being a Ducati Panigale owner.

I am actually intrigued about the wheels... would you mind confirming whether they are forged or cast, please? I have decided that from this point forward, I will only purchase bikes that come stock with forged aluminum wheels at the very least. I know that narrows my options tremendously and until now, limits my potential short list to liter bikes. However, this would mean that there might be a trend to offer mid class sportbikes with the lighter wheels as I am not in the market for an 959.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and it sounds like you are really enjoying being a Ducati Panigale owner.

I am actually intrigued about the wheels... would you mind confirming whether they are forged or cast, please? I have decided that from this point forward, I will only purchase bikes that come stock with forged aluminum wheels at the very least. I know that narrows my options tremendously and until now, limits my potential short list to liter bikes. However, this would mean that there might be a trend to offer mid class sportbikes with the lighter wheels as I am not in the market for an 959.
I’m afraid I can’t confirm. Only what it says in the manual and right now I don’t trust that manual 😂

Manual says forged for the corse. When I checked the manual for the standard bike it also says forged so :confused:

Either way, I’m saving my money and will be ordering a set of the chrome looking oz gass wheels I think. Just need to finish buying the track kit first. (Fairings, block off plates etc)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I can confirm, again, directly from Ducati, that the US version 959 Corse comes with Both Up and Down DQS. The first 959 Corse is on the showroom floor at Ducati Newport but I was not able to take a picture of it - the dealership has a deal with Ducati not to advertise it's early arrival (it showed up 4 days early). The preliminary service check included a ride by the mechanic that confirmed is does have Down DQS as well as the standard Up DQS.
With that said... @Headlside - either you were not in the correct limitations of the system or the UK bike does not have Down DQS.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
...I am actually intrigued about the wheels... would you mind confirming whether they are forged or cast, please?...
They appeared to be the same exact wheels as on the standard 959. I did notice a difference in the paint scheme from when I saw it last at the Long Beach show - there's a silver pinstripe that is between the white and the fl red colors everywhere on the bike. And there's a green-white-red Italian color ring that's at the 12 o'clock position of the gas cap on the tank Looks really great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been speaking to a person who owns a Corse and has owned a 1299 and he has stated to me that the downshift seems to work the moment you get off the throttle. However if you come off the throttle and then leave it for a second or 2, the auto down shift does not work.

I am going to see if I can conform this, but if it is the case, then it is a strange way of implementing a down dqs.

Perhaps the EU version does not have a down dqs but then this means that Ducati would have to have 2 different sets of ECU for each market and the wiring to go with it. Quite possible but unsure.

Will be interesting to find out from a US owner who has actually ridden it

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Weather is has the system or not, slamming down on the shifter will make it shift at any time! I think you just need to get used to the system and not be afraid of hurting it. From what I was told it works exactly as it says in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
...he has stated to me that the downshift seems to work the moment you get off the throttle. However if you come off the throttle and then leave it for a second or 2, the auto down shift does not work.

I am going to see if I can conform this, but if it is the case, then it is a strange way of implementing a down dqs.
I think he was giving you misinformation.

Any straight cut transmission will do this (shift up or down when you come off the throttle). Without the autoblipper or a manual blip during a downshift, the clutch just takes up the difference and the bike slows a bit as the wheel catches up the engine.

In anycase to help shed light on what the non-US 959 Corse has, @Headlside, can you take a picture of your quick shifter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ll take a pic when I get home tonight.

I asked the dealer to ask Ducati directly about the downshift . I was out on it yesterday and at no point could I engage an auto downshift in any rev range, so either mine does not have one, or it does but is not working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think he was giving you misinformation.

Any straight cut transmission will do this (shift up or down when you come off the throttle). Without the autoblipper or a manual blip during a downshift, the clutch just takes up the difference and the bike slows a bit as the wheel catches up the engine.

In anycase to help shed light on what the non-US 959 Corse has, @Headlside, can you take a picture of your quick shifter?
Added some pics of the qs in the corse gallery

1 - 20 of 29 Posts