Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I finally got a chance on Saturday to change the "start tuning" setting to 2000rpm. I don't think it will be possible to go any lower due to the cold motor idle rpm etc.

I also noticed my trim maps were maxed out in a couple of the cells.

For each cylinder the Rapidbike has a fuel map (which does NOT change automatically) and a trim map (which DOES get adjusted automatically). In normal running it overlays the trim map on the fuel map. This allows you to set a maximum amount of change (positive or negative) to the trim map auto adjustment, in order to protect the engine in case of O2 sensor failure.

You can choose to manually apply the trim map to the fuel map permanently (have to do this individually for each cylinder). This then alters the fuel map and sets all trim map values back to 0. So this is what I did.

I assume the maxed out trim cells may have been due to me disconnecting the exhaust valve, which is a condition that I guess is not catered for in the Rapidbike map for stock bikes.

Things I have noticed as a result:
- suburban slow speed roundabouts are now fine in race mode.
- when filtering/lane splitting, I used to accelerate a bit, pull the clutch in and coast/gradually slow down...repeat as needed. This was to avoid the lean surge. Now I just cruise up the middle on the throttle at low revs with no surging.
- It does seem to have more pickup in the rev mid-range. Instead of changing down a gear or two to pass, I'm able to just gas it, and it goes.
Finally installed a Rapidbike to the Panigale 959. First impressions are Meh but I'm cognizant that it hasn't adjusted fully. Looking forward to eliminating the surge in Race mode and smooth out the throttle overall. Auto-Tuning range is set from 2000 rpm upwards. I have noticed a few 7's and up to 10's on the maps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Finally installed a Rapidbike to the Panigale 959. First impressions are Meh but I'm cognizant that it hasn't adjusted fully. Looking forward to eliminating the surge in Race mode and smooth out the throttle overall. Auto-Tuning range is set from 2000 rpm upwards. I have noticed a few 7's and up to 10's on the maps.
Did you install it yourself? I'm going to be installing mine tomorrow/Saturday. If you did install it, got any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Did you install it yourself? I'm going to be installing mine tomorrow/Saturday. If you did install it, got any tips or suggestions?
The tech at my dealer did most of the work where I was the helper. It took about 4 hours.
We pretty much followed the most excellent and detailed advice of @Epic and also of OldManMike on the 899 forum at 05-30-2015, 02:06 AM.
Rapid Bike Feedback Request - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

Removed fairing on both sides without separating the top and bottom.
Filed the plastic protruding nibs and mounted the RB flush in the top left area as they have done (see his photo) with two bolts and double sided tape.
We loosened the rad and used a cardboard (my photo) to protect it while passing the cable through near the top of the rad. Secured with lots of Zip-Ties. Updated both the software and the unit's firmware.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
The tech at my dealer did most of the work where I was the helper. It took about 4 hours.
We pretty much followed the most excellent and detailed advice of @Epic and also of OldManMike on the 899 forum at 05-30-2015, 02:06 AM.
Rapid Bike Feedback Request - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

Removed fairing on both sides without separating the top and bottom.
Filed the plastic protruding nibs and mounted the RB flush in the top left area as they have done (see his photo) with two bolts and double sided tape.
We loosened the rad and used a cardboard (my photo) to protect it while passing the cable through near the top of the rad. Secured with lots of Zip-Ties. Updated both the software and the unit's firmware.
Cheers for that!

So there are updates for the unit... I called Rapid Bike yesterday to ask if I should update anything on the unit before installing, and they said no, it should be good to go...

I'll check out those other posts for sure. I'm gonna be taking this slow and steady :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
So there are updates for the unit... I called Rapid Bike yesterday to ask if I should update anything on the unit before installing, and they said no, it should be good to go...I'll check out those other posts for sure. I'm gonna be taking this slow and steady :)
When you register (username, PW and serial number) at:
https://reserved.dimsport.com/login.aspx
You have access to download the latest software (mine was Dec 2017) therefore it updated to the most recent version following the installation once plugged to the bike's USB / laptop & RB software.
It also updated the units firmware automatically.

I now plan to ride for several hundred miles to let the RB unit's trim map adjust itself. I'll then save that map to the RB unit to create a new baseline map. Following that, I'll reset the trim map to zero's. Wash, rise and repeat.
In theory, the numbers should get smaller and smaller.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
When it comes to exhaust, filters and other performance claims, I'm Mr. Doubting Mustafa.
This time however, my cynicism was misplaced. The RapidBike actually delivered. Every previous posts are accurate.
Most surge in race mode has all but disappeared in all gears with the exception of first gear near 2500 to 3500 rpm.
Even there, it's improving with each ride and nearly gone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When it comes to exhaust, filters and other performance claims, I'm Mr. Doubting Mustafa.
This time however, my cynicism was misplaced. The RapidBike actually delivered. Every previous posts are accurate.
Most surge in race mode has all but disappeared in all gears with the exception of first gear near 2500 to 3500 rpm.
What is your exhaust and ecu previous to RB?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I completely agree. I've only been able to put about 50 miles on mine, but it was instantaneously better in basically every way! Can't wait to put more miles on it and have it sort everything out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did anyone throw check engine lights after installing the Rapid Bike while it was doing the initial tweaking? I got one after 20 or so miles, but it went away quickly. Just got another one though, about 100 miles later, but this one is staying on. Sounds, looks, and rides fine. Just has the light on. It does flash the traction control light (or whatever the bottom middle orange light is above the dash) at low-mid RPMS in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear at partial throttle when the check engine light is on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rapid bike told me if you lower the start tuning rpm too much there will be an error light.

I just left mine as it was - fitted it, plugged in the laptop to check it was the right map or if any updates were available and just left it.

I haven’t played around with any if the trim numbers - I’ve just let it do it’s own thing and left it alone. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Did anyone throw check engine lights after installing the Rapid Bike while it was doing the initial tweaking? I got one after 20 or so miles, but it went away quickly. Just got another one though, about 100 miles later, but this one is staying on. Sounds, looks, and rides fine. Just has the light on. It does flash the traction control light (or whatever the bottom middle orange light is above the dash) at low-mid RPMS in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear at partial throttle when the check engine light is on.
Under the "Auto-Adaptivity" tab, try moving the "Start Correction" slider to 2500rpm to see if that turns it off.
That can only help. If not, I'd contact RapidBike to get their opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll check that out. I'm not 100% sure if it is even the Rapid Bike. Could be something else. But maybe it was too much of a shock to the system to do exhaust+filter+Rapid Bike with no initial upmap tune or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll check that out. I'm not 100% sure if it is even the Rapid Bike. Could be something else. But maybe it was too much of a shock to the system to do exhaust+filter+Rapid Bike with no initial upmap tune or anything like that.
Now that's different. I must have missed you mentioning that the bike was not stock. I would contact Yaman at Rapidbike for him to send you a base-map that more closely matches the after-market parts you have added. The RB unit should not have to adapt as much starting from a higher bar.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Rpm range? Could you post a pic of those instructions or a page number where you read that?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I called Rapid Bike and they said the fact that my traction control light is coming on and braking the bike makes them feel like it's not the Rapid Bike itself. They and my dealer did suggest checking all the wire connections and to make sure the ground wire is secure. Going to the garage to do this all now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I called Rapid Bike again to make sure I didn't need an initial tune, and they said nope, I should be good to go as is.

I redid all of the Rapid Bike connections and turned it on. Still have CEL.

Went back to stock connections (take Rapid Bike out). Still have CEL.

Put Rapid Bike back on. Still have CEL.

Will actually take it for a ride tomorrow, and beg the dealer to squeeze me in to get a diagnostic read.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did remove the servo motor. The Termi front-exit came with a little cap to put on the end of the exposed wire from removing it. That is all though. It isn't a servo buddy or anything, literally just a cap.

I guess that could be throwing a CEL, but would that trigger the traction control? This could be the issue as it only happens in the RPMs that may be when that motor is kicking in.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts