Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I want to have the firmest brake lever feel possible all the while not compromising the functioning of my ABS system. From experience, does anyone know if it's absolutely necessary to run a low viscosity spec DOT 5.1 to have ABS functioning at it's best on the Panigale? Have you ever experienced any DOT 4 racing fluids (with higher viscosities) to compromise your ABS functioning when riding on the street? From reading, I know that certain ABS systems are more sensitive than others when it comes to using low viscosity brake fluids. I'm just wondering how sensitive the Panigale is in needing a low viscosity fluid. What I'm getting at here is that I'm currently running fresh Motul 5.1 and feel like the brake fluid has more 'compressibility' than personally desirable. I know that there are other brake fluids on the market that tout 'extremely low compressibility' but most of them are DOT 4. While I want the 'extremely low compressibility', I don't want it at the expense a higher viscosity fluid that may compromise my ABS properly functioning on the street. Please share your experience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've only used DOT3/4 and never had any ABS issues. Actually, I've never heard of any ABS issues with these bikes, apart from the often discussed "soft first pull" thing.

The majority of the memebers here use Motul RBF600, or Castrol SRF if price isn't a factor. I think both of those are DOT4.

Which DOT4 fluid were you considering?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Patrick. Thanks for responding... The reason I ask is that I know a bunch of you are tracking/racing your bikes and are most likely (I'm assuming) 'disabling' your ABS while on the track so you'd probably never notice a thing. But apparently, some ABS units (not sure if this includes the Panigale) have a more difficult time with higher viscosity brake fluids moving through the tiny lines. I'm considering really anything that I know will give me a more firm lever feel (RBF 600, Castrol SRF, RS683/Torque 700, PFC RH665, Endless 650, TBM Xreme6, etc.)... I just don't want to compromise my ABS on the street if ever in an emergency stop I need to get hard on the front brakes (like I did when a semi truck ran a red light), enough so where the ABS triggers, and because of a higher viscosity fluid, the ABS is not able to function as properly. I know the manual states the 959 only needs DOT 4, I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience with racing brake fluids of the DOT4 nature having any deleterious effects on the ABS when you've needed it the most on the streets. The reason I'm currently siding with Motul 5.1 is because it has a low viscosity and I know will work properly with ABS if and when I need it... If any of you told me that you've had experience where you had to get hard on the front brakes on the street (enough to trigger ABS) and were using some racing dot 4 brake fluid and experienced the ABS working flawlessly, then I'll happily drop some money on better stuff to get that improved lever feel. I might as well ask now, what brake fluids, in your experience, give you the firmest lever feel (meaning the least amount of 'compressibility') on the Panigale?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts