Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm often asked "what's it like" or "don't you find it difficult to switch rides between the Panigale and the Monster"?
The quick answer is: "You get used to it fast".
I then get the question: "Which do you prefer"?

This latter, I believe, is worth sharing with you. Notwithstanding the track, here's what I like about both on the street:

For starters, the Panigale is so predictable, it inspires confidence. As you guys all know, keeping a line with the Panigale is effortless and rock steady, almost instinctively. Secondly, never have I owned a bike which gets so many compliments. I may be preaching to the choir here but I kid you not, nearly every ride some guy will give me the ok, thumbs-up, "nice bike" or "I would love to own one" comment. I often let the Honda civic or whatever (especially pick-up trucks) where the lady passengers often looks at the Panigale while I allow them to pass on the left just to see the look on the driver's face. That's just terrible on my part but sometimes, I just can't help myself. >:)

Now for the Monster, in all honesty, it just scares the bejesus out of me. Although the handling at civilized speeds is amazingly quick turning and precise, twist the throttle in second and it's those nano moments of terror that keeps me wanting more. Add that to the sound offered by the SC-Project exhaust and you have one fine attention grabbing ride.

In a nutshell, I like them both for different reasons and I would like to read your comments about the Panigale and any other bike you enjoy riding and why.

Reactions: cuonglm and Dingo

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Back in 1998 I was lucky to ride a friends' 916S - the first Ducati I ever sat on. I wanted a 748 soooo bad but ended up getting a CBR 600F3 in '95. It was a dream to ride, the 916S, the power was ridiculous - twist the throttle in 2nd gear a little faster than normal and the front tire reaches the sky quickly - effortless it was even in 3rd. FF to today and I'm on the 959 that has more HP but less "machismo" for lack of another term to compare with the 916S I remember... I would imagine the 959 without electronics would be the 916S on crack equivalent and give me the same nostalgic feeling I recall... I wonder.

Every time I get on the 959 I feel a little bit of that nostalgia from the 916S I recall, and like you said @DarR , there's not a time I went for a ride when someone didn't comment on the looks! I love the darn bike!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too owned a monster and the Panigale. and I too loved them both for different reasons, Those two valve desmo motors have a ring of their own, and I have seen some really cool builds off of them. They are also much easier to work on and learn some inner workings of Ducati motors. Finally, I felt like a hooligan riding those bikes. From my experience, 2010 era monsters are sketch to ride on the roads. the rear tire often slipped out under not ideal conditions due to the lack of traction control and bike gemoetry. Also, I wouldn't have had an ER visit if it had front abs during an emergency stop. Those brembo brakes are a bit much for this bike, as I was able to overpower the front tire with 2 fingers brake pressure. All in all, a modern panigale is a ton safer and more confidence inspiring on the road or the track for me at least.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I rode a 1200S test ride and a few times (4 weeks at one stage) when my bike was getting warranty work done. the Monster is a different, comfortable and very fun bike. The engine has so much more torque than the 959 and cruises much better on open road.
But I hated how the rear foot pegs were non removable and always interferd with your heels. As with any naked bike, once over 120kph the wind makes you really hold on!

End of day, The Panigale gave me more enjoyment. Mayeb in a few years when the body cant handly the position of a Superbike then Monster would be on the list.

Its a very big shame that the new SuperSport didnt come with the Monsters 1200 motor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My second ride is a Vespa 150 LOL - talk about extremes...

I don't enjoy the Panigale in the city. Traffic too slow, idiot drivers - I get road rage haha. The Vespa is fun, twist and go, no worries - always in the right gear.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I don't enjoy the Panigale in the city. Traffic too slow, idiot drivers - I get road rage haha. The Vespa is fun, twist and go, no worries - always in the right gear.
I understand that. There's something to be said for simplicity, especially in the city!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My second bike is a motard.... cheap WR450.... I have more fun on this bike than the Panigale, but its more Hooligan fun..

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I currently have six sport bikes and a cruiser in my garage and have found I can go from one to the other with no issues even though some of the bikes are really different. The human brain is extremely adaptive in this respect but I need to park one and wait at least an hour before jumping on another to help "reset" my cranium to the different characteristics. Jumping directly from a ZX-6R to a ZX-14 for example, will seriously twist your melon without a reset period.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I too considered both bikes, but came to the conclusion that the 959 offered much more for the money.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I too owned a monster and the Panigale. and I too loved them both for different reasons.... (the) panigale is a ton safer and more confidence inspiring on the road or the track for me at least.
The big Monster is brutal. It's not just the peak torque which is more than any 4 cylinder Superbike on the planet, but the compounding effect where most of it is kicking-in at 4000rpm and up from there to the 10,500 redline. Thank-you electronic TC and ABS.
Even then, it's a "Tire Eater". I can take patches of rubber off the rear just by whacking the throttle.
Definitely not a bike for @Kruz :wink2:>:)0:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, a year ago I went into the Ducati dealership looking to get me a fine sensible Monster 1200, I came out with my 959 Panigale >:)
In person it blew me away, so my thinking was this will be my last sport bike. But now that I seen (in pics) the new V4, is the one that is going to be my last sport bike :grin2:
So, after the V4, I will get the Monster.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First time reading this thread and its great. I also had a monster 1200S for a loaner while my first maint. was getting done and it was super neat. To @DarR line of reasoning, it did feel like it was constantly trying to kill me. With the Panigale I feel like the bike always has my back, whereas, as limited as it was, that monster was just plain scary and the riding position seemed to not suit such levels of psychotic behavior. Also I get compliments, as you all have, on the 959 Every. single. time. i ride it.

Really enjoyed the comments on this

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't enjoy the Panigale in the city. Traffic too slow, idiot drivers - I get road rage haha.
Nobody mess's with those Vesparados!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts