Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a replacement for the OEM tire on the 959, Pirelli now makes the Rosso Corsa II.

It apparently hasn't hit dealers in our OEM rear size of 180/60-17 yet.

I didn't know but evidently the Rosso Corsa is an 8-year-old model. I'm sure technology has improved significantly in that time.

I'm concerned about replacing the OEM tires with other types of tires for fear of poor calibration of the electronics but perhaps the Corsa II wouldn't be that dissimilar to the original tire.

Looking forward to everyone's experiences with the new Rosso Corsa II.
-Curly

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I thought this tire has been out for a while now? I believe a few on here have used it. But maybe I'm mistaken....

There are quite a few threads about changing tire brands / sizes and the affects on the electronics. You may want to check some of those out. IMO, the stock tires are quite good on this bike. I have just been replacing with the same. If I ever track it, I will use a slick, or a race DOT.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think there's been a lot of discussion about the Rosso III's within the last year or so, but yeah Rosso Corsa II's look promising!

I didn't know but evidently the Rosso Corsa is an 8-year-old model. I'm sure technology has improved significantly in that time.
Surprising to me too! Might have to try it out after my Rosso III's run out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Reactions: Pard

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
892 Posts
Reactions: sinjin

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think the $219.00 190/55 is an alternate for the 180/60. Definitely don't go with a 180/55. I wonder how they stack up against the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the $219.00 190/55 is an alternate for the 180/60. Definitely don't go with a 180/55. I wonder how they stack up against the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2.
I'm sure they will imminently release the OEM rear size of 180/60. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The 180/60 are available.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-sg.../diablo-rosso-corsa-due-underbone#/size-range

Pirelli claims the RC2 warm-up faster than their predecessor. The front tire is now dual compound for better adhesion in wet and cold conditions. I have Super Corsas on the bike now and they just don't warm up for street use. I'll be reverting back to Rosso Corsas (now 2's) in a few months. Also had SC on the M1200R as OEM. Those didn't last a Canadian riding season. I now have Rosso 3's on that bike.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This comes from Dunlop but the 200/55 has a diameter that closely resemble the 180/60.

190/55 Diameter (647.3mm), Width (188.5mm)
180/60 Diameter (656mm) , Width (184mm)
200/55 Diameter (657mm) , Width (194mm)

Dunlop Racing » USA N-Tec Slicks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Cool. Well that confirms that we should avoid the 180/55 as it's too small.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Overall diameter will affect our traction control...
In what manner though (more or less sliding with TC activating)? More sliding due to smaller diameter (by 3%) from more contact force at a constant torque?

·
Registered
239 Posts
In what manner though (more or less sliding with TC activating)? More sliding due to smaller diameter (by 3%) from more contact force at a constant torque?
I believe because the TC system sees the rear rotating faster then it should especially while cornering it will activate TC when not needed. You may not be sliding at all and it will activate TC taking your drive out of the corner away. This is just an educated guess, and I've read that the 180/55 plays havoc on our TC system.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This is just an educated guess, and I've read that the 180/55 plays havoc on our TC system.
I run a 180/55 Rosso III and activate TC on level 4/5 somewhat regularly when coming out of turns and it's always been stable. Honestly I have nowhere near the ability to perceive the 3% change in diameter in both lean profile or TC intervention, but I can say that 180/55 is not a certain no-no from my personal experience.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I run a 180/55 Rosso III and activate TC on level 4/5 somewhat regularly when coming out of turns and it's always been stable. Honestly I have nowhere near the ability to perceive the 3% change in diameter in both lean profile or TC intervention, but I can say that 180/55 is not a certain no-no from my personal experience.
It's definitely not a no no, just not ideal. You could probably run your TC at a 3 and you would be fine. It may trigger unnecessarily without sliding but your results may vary. I think on the track is where it would make a difference, on the street maybe not so much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts