Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back, I asked about Removing Header Pipes so I could do some stuff to my exhaust pipes while my 959 was packed away for the winter. My initial intent was to take off all my exhaust pipes and polish them on my bench, but ended up not completely doing so. Here's my general progression and the results of my exhaust pipe shenanigans.

Reading all sorts of threads from the Panigale forums, I came across the 899 thread: Polish your exhaust please lol - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum I did this on my 959 a couple months ago and was pleased with my results, but still wished I could have gotten a better polish on some of the areas.

Here's the album view of everything below: http://imgur.com/a/am16K

Here's what I started with:

Hit it with a Mothers PowerCone and Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, about 10 minutes later:

Buffed off the polish, looks decent:

Spent probably another 20 minutes getting into some of the more confined spaces:

Finished result with no camera flash. Probably ~40 minutes total on this section:

With the fairings on and camera flash:

With the fairings on and no camera flash:

I was going to take off the front pipe and have another go at it, but once I got to begin taking off the fan shroud to get to the stud nuts, I quickly felt like the effort was to high for the impact, so I just let it be.

Moving onto the rear cylinder bank exhaust pipe, here's my starting point:

Progress was essentially the same as the front, so not gonna be any photos in between, but this proved to be quite the challenge as there was all sorts of weld splatter that I had to clean up before I could polish it up. Ended up having to sand it down using 200-300-500-1000-2000 grit sandpaper then polishing it with the Mothers polish. Probably should have whipped out some other buffing compounds for this. Spent probably ~8 hours over a span of 2 months working on this.

Final result. Not completely mirror, but good enough for me.

The inconvenient stamped/welded flange on the rear exhaust pipe. DEEP grooves that I could have sanded out, but too much effort. You can see some of the weld splatter that I missed:

My 959 currently is in pieces. I'll be putting it all together in the next months while there's still snow and temps are <40F. As mentioned in the heat thread, I will be leaving off the heat shield to expose my freshly polished pipe and heat has never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Good job working on that crap! ;P A ton of effort there! Let's hope it doesn't completely discolor after you ride for a day!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job working on that crap! ;P A ton of effort there! Let's hope it doesn't completely discolor after you ride for a day!
I'm expecting it to bronze up like the front, but should still be mirror-like. Not sure how water will effect it however, maybe the initial oxidation will "protect" it.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Nice work!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
@DJ Shrug - so I noticed the road cases in your pics. Are you actually a DJ?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, used to mix with hip hop and electronic music, but now I'm just a turntablist, mostly scratch.

Reactions: cfiore

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got my full Akra system and need to install it, do you have any tips for removing the factory headers?
Removing the cans is pretty simple, not many tips there. I had to remove the left rear set and leave it dangling to access one of the hangers.

I didn't finish getting to front pipe, but I stopped at removing the cooling shroud to get to the front header nuts. I couldn't find much on how to do it, but I imagine having small swing arc ratcheting wrenches would be really nice once you get to the nuts. The nut on the bottom-left side is probably easiest to get to, but the bottom right requires removing the shroud (or magic) and the upper nut, I have no idea.

For the rear, I did something similar to:
  1. Removed seat, unscrewed blackbox, deal with the gas tank
  2. Took off the subframe covers, unbolted the subframe (but due to the wiring, could not remove)
  3. Unbolt heat shield
  4. Pivoted subframe upward and removed heat shield
  5. Removed rear header bolts and removed rear pipe
You could lift and wedge something to lift the gas tank, I just took it off. Keep it oriented the normal way, otherwise it'll constantly spill gas.

There's no way to get to the rear pipe nuts without removing the heat shield. The bolt that holds the heat shield onto subframe is very soft and tough to get out, be careful not to strip the head.

The Y-pipe couldn't come off for me, but others have done it apparently just by nudging it while only the cans are off.

Didn't use any special tools, just allen wrenches, socket wrenches, a big torx head for the subframe, socket extensions, some swivel adapters.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went ahead and did the install yesterday, pretty much everything you stated I learned. The front header is actually pretty easy to get off, I used a 10mm open end wrench to get the bottom two nuts off and then a stubby 10mm on a 1/4in fine tooth ratchet to get the top nut off. With that said, the front header pipe has to come off to get the Y out, I cannot see how you can separate them enough to pull the Y without removing the front pipe. The job wasn't as bad as I expected, all the manuals made it seem pretty labor intensive but I did the whole install in about 5 hours with no special tools, although ball head Allen's really help for removing the cans and rearset (that hanger bolt is a pain in the ***)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks clean with the polishing! How has the finish held up?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never got around to taking pics, but wait no more!

Took off all the head covers too, didn't clean up the gasket material yet, so looks like the OEM sloppy mess.

Rode twice with the heat shields off. First time was in 60degF weather, felt normal. Second time was today in 70degF weather, felt normal. I felt heat on my left thigh for once though, almost like the heat is more balanced between both legs/cheeks.

I'd say that having the heat shields and head covers off in 70degF weather, makes no difference. Will have to see when it gets warmer.

Between those two days, had about 6-7 hours of riding on it, hasn't turned bronze yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks good! Definitely appears more aggressive without the heat shield. Hope the pipes stay polished.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Very impressive. Nice job!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
How much work was it to remove the cylinder head covers? Looks much better that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts